For Those Having Trouble with Survival Mode

GnomesAreScary

Try to learn the best attacks for certain enemies. What I have found most effective is use the :circle: :square: combo on any enemy that you can grab. The bigger enemies are very easily killed with the Splatter Smash combo twice in a row. For the annoying, quick enemies that run away from you, get a weapon like the 2x4 or the metal pipe or the baseball bat and use the basic ram attack on them, it'll kill them in 1 hit.

Using these techniques I have easily been able to get under the time limits on the challenges.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to stand a chance at beating the time limits on the survival arenas, jumping splatter smash is you best friend.

Jump and hold R-1 and triangle, until Rick touches the ground. It has a decet aoe damage effect and is almost guaranteed to kill 99% of all enemies in 1 hit, including the whip mini bosses and big arm abhores.

I dedicate my platinum to this 1 and only move.

Trust me, this is the one you want to use, Also, if you need quick necro, don't be afraid to break a melee weapon over a whip mini boss's head, it will give you at least two bars to continue the jumping splatter smash assult.

Hope this helps, and one more time: jump, R-1 + hold Triangle.

This move alone will bring victory in survival arenas.

Another handy tip against the Aegis is to use your ground Splatter Smash, trying to charge them often results in them getting away and when you are against 5 demons and 3 butt monsters (?) it's very difficult.

Aim your Smash towards them, it works 9/10 times and kills them instantly.

OR.... You could equip a melee weapon, do a ram with triangle, and the aegis will fall in one hit.

Helps for wickerman.

Plus, it says the enemies ar invincable when the aegis hits them with that green aura, but when in berserker mode, they STILL take damage.

OR.... You could equip a melee weapon, do a ram with triangle, and the aegis will fall in one hit.

Helps for wickerman.

Plus, it says the enemies ar invincable when the aegis hits them with that green aura, but when in berserker mode, they STILL take damage.

The problem with trying to ram them with or without a weapon is they still have a chance to float away, and during that last wave on Wickerman, you don't want to take chances.

The splatter smash is a virtual guarantee of death on an Aegis, you can chance the ram but I recommend the smash over the ram when you are faced with a horde of big guys charging at you.

Either way works obviously, I just had much better success using the smash instead of trying to charge the Aegis while avoiding everyone else.

I never used Berserk once during the arenas, smash and slash are pretty much all you need, I just used the extra arms and weapons on the big guys, refilled my blood and just hacked away.

Edited by Thunder_At_Home

The problem with trying to ram them with or without a weapon is they still have a chance to float away, and during that last wave on Wickerman, you don't want to take chances.

The splatter smash is a virtual guarantee of death on an Aegis, you can chance the ram but I recommend the smash over the ram when you are faced with a horde of big guys charging at you.

Either way works obviously, I just had much better success using the smash instead of trying to charge the Aegis while avoiding everyone else.

I never used Berserk once during the arenas, smash and slash are pretty much all you need, I just used the extra arms and weapons on the big guys, refilled my blood and just hacked away.

:eek: Wave 20 on wicker man! Screw that, Berserker was my best friend on that arena.

Good tips:applause:

:eek: Wave 20 on wicker man! Screw that, Berserker was my best friend on that arena.

Good tips:applause:

I never used berserk because honestly, I was too scared I would screw up and have to do it again. I only did it twice, the first time I had 27:34 and realized that grabbing and then slamming the smaller guys saves tons of time. Before that I was ripping the arms off and beating them with it and trying the ram on the Aegis but having little success because the stupid thing kept moving most of the time.

After that I switched to the grab and slam and the splatter smash method and got 23:32, both methods work equally well, I had no issues ramming the Aegis on any other map except this one, I chalk it up partly to getting really ticked at the whole thing. I probably would have avoided the headache the first time if I had switched to berserk, I was just too focused on the whole jumping splatter smash/splatter slash on everything.

Wave 20 is by far the most intense moment of the whole game, kudos to both of us for doing it, even the sixth arena was child's play compared to it. :dance:

And oh yes, what an awesome game, bloody, gory, NUDITY and makes fun of itself through the whole thing, how can you not love it??

Edited by Thunder_At_Home

Shadow of the Wickerman was miserable, but finally got it. By the time I finished it, I could get to Wave 20 in just over 19 minutes, which left plenty of time.

I wouldn't put these challenges quite on the level of Arkham Asylum (Wickerman was probably harder than most regular Batman Challenges, but not the Extreme), but none are nearly as hard as Shock & Awe (Extreme).

A very fun game. I used a free rental to get the platinum, but I will definitely buy a copy so I can play the classics any time, even though I own all 3 (1 for the TG-16 and 2/3 for the Genesis).

Thanks for the help!

What was up with Arena six being a joke? It felt like it should've been Arena 2 or 3.

I think it combines with the actual levels in the story. The last chapter in the game is a joke compared to the multiple baddies you've got on the Wickerman stage. I consider the order of easiest to hardest to be 1, 2, 6, 3, 4, 5 in my own opinion.

I think it combines with the actual levels in the story. The last chapter in the game is a joke compared to the multiple baddies you've got on the Wickerman stage. I consider the order of easiest to hardest to be 1, 2, 6, 3, 4, 5 in my own opinion.

I agree, but if I would think it goes easier to hardest:

2, 1, 6, 3, 4, 5.

IMO, the second arena was a walk in the park next to even the first one!

But yeah, everything else you put in order, :applause:

My suggestion for the Aegis is to use the Splatter Siphon. It knocks them down... then you can do whatever you want with them.

I found it very useful to take them out nice and quick to point my attention to the rest of the enemies.

I would Splatter Siphon, knock the Aegis down... then take them out, usually with a weapon and R1 + Triangle. Then proceed to Splatter Smash the rest of the enemies.

Oh, and I was using the upgraded Splatter Siphon when I found out that it knocked them down... I dont know if that matters. I never did it with the normal one.

Try to learn the best attacks for certain enemies. What I have found most effective is use the :circle: :square: combo on any enemy that you can grab. The bigger enemies are very easily killed with the Splatter Smash combo twice in a row. For the annoying, quick enemies that run away from you, get a weapon like the 2x4 or the metal pipe or the baseball bat and use the basic ram attack on them, it'll kill them in 1 hit.

Using these techniques I have easily been able to get under the time limits on the challenges.

I just tried your strategy on the hardest Arena, arena 5. At least that's what everyone is saying that that is the hardest one to get through. Anyways your strategy worked REALLY well. I did it on my first try. I didn't try it on any of the previous ones but I think I'll use it for the last arena as well. GREAT strategy, thanks!

I'm still missing the 5th arena. (finished it in only 28 min)

the last wave is horrible and i spend to much time killing those f***ing

giant frog like demons.

for now, i focus on slashing the "squids", cause they tend to make the others harder to kill, then i "jump splattersmash" the remaing demons.

Any clue to help me?

I just tried your strategy on the hardest Arena, arena 5. At least that's what everyone is saying that that is the hardest one to get through. Anyways your strategy worked REALLY well. I did it on my first try. I didn't try it on any of the previous ones but I think I'll use it for the last arena as well. GREAT strategy, thanks!

Glad I could help, hopefully this works as well for everyone else as it did for us.

After beating the Brutal playthrough, I tried the Survival Arenas for the first time after being fully upgraded and managed to get these times on my first try:

Arena 1: 11:15

Arena 2: 12:31

So I got both of those S-Ranks on my first try. On the third level, I'm a little pissed because I believe I was well on my way to my 3rd S-Rank because after beating Wave 16, I believe I was about 12 or 13 minutes in, but while loading Wave 17, the game reset my PlayStation somehow which made just stop playing for the night.

But my question is, do the next 3 survival arenas get significantly harder, or if I stick to same strategies that got me the above times, would I be able to assume that I should be able acquire the S-Ranks fairly easily as long as I don't die and stick to my routines?

hhrmm.. interesting that everyone is saying wickerman survival was hard... i just beat it now in my first try.. 23min 13 sec... wasnt too bad.. never too close to dying... got to last round with 19 min gone...i just kept rolling and rolling and opening boxes to make sure i get some splatter splashes to get rid of the aegis things and then just keep gaining more and splatter splash everything... all i really do is use weapons and splatter splash as my offense in all survival areans lol...and rollling around as my defense...

just got the coaster one left to get S,,,i found that one harder than wicker by far... both times i was like a minute or two over time limit on it.. :( or died on final round

i have a feeling that getting the 10 secret missions is gonna be a pain to do..probably gonna be hardest trophy for me

• 2 weeks later...

3rd arena. the backgrd is clean, so it's easy to see the words when when u achieve the missions.

lotsa small enemies for you to berserk on. there are also those enemies which keeps on hopping away from you, you can punch them slowly till they are red then splatter kill them.

and the stage is also easy.

Edited by a558Ra1N

I have done 4 of the arenas with an s-rank, the first four to be precise, some of them took more than one try. I believe the last two will be a pain. But it is all a matter of preservance.

The only thing i find most frustraring is the fact that it can take more than 20 mins to try an arena and ... fail... so, to restart, we have to have alot of free time.

In my humble opinion it should be less waves and less time... 20 to 25 mins is just too much...