Rate the platinum difficulty.  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the platinum difficulty.

• 1 - Very easy
    • 10 - Very hard

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/diff_plat_6.png

Collected Trophy Difficulty Rating: 5.95

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
    Examples;
    • Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
    • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

[*]Vote with honesty and integrity.

Edited by olsen77

Going to have to say five at the most. Using the Save & Quit exploit for Solo, you pretty much can't fail unless you don't use the method. You can boost MVP, the Race trophy, and pretty much anything else online. The main thing is that the game requires a bit of patience, by not rushing through levels and dying by stupid things online. Also, for the Areas online, apparently if you play in Offline Excursion, you can let x out of total players die (leave one alive) and then when they fully die, you can press start on a dead players controller, and you get a new 5 lives. Main difficulty in this, in my opinion, is getting the 200 Mural pieces since half can only be done in co-op and some require team work to obtain...

Edited by proskatercam
Error

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give it a 5/10. Doing the single player is easy when you are using the save and quit method. Even if you die and lose all your lifes you can press start button and exit without saving it. For the online trophies like MVP and The Fastest Man Underground you can boost it with a friend. Finishing the coop levels online are much easier for me since completing them on single player and knowing where the keys and items are.

5/10 seems a bit low to me. Yes, you can Save/Load your way through the single player game, but I think the fact that the average player online seems to die left and right makes the learning curve here a major factor.

You can either play Spelunker or you can't. The game barely ramps up in difficulty, as the game has you facing the same traps over and over again throughout the whole thing without much in the way of added variety. But at least two gamers that I respect have just called it quits because this game is frustratingly unforgiving.

Getting all the mural pieces online is a pretty big undertaking. And this experience is going to vary wildly if you play with others. Some players are flippin' spectacular and you can coast along on their strength -- and some are /facepalm inducingly bad. And since lives are communal your team is really only as strong as its weakest member.

And you either have to play online with people or play 3 characters yourself to get some of the co-op pieces. The latter option works but is a major headache.

You -can- solo the vast majority of the co-op mode collection stuff, but the game clearly isn't balanced for it. Ghosts will always seek you out rather than picking a target at random (what with there being only one target) and take a massive amount of your air gauge to defeat. Add in the fact that the splitscreen results in the loss of 75% of your screen and that some enemies are really difficult to see in the Remake version of the game and you can be in for a pretty cruel experience.

The game is an absolute blast. But to think that going after all the co-op mural pieces is an experience of average difficulty isn't really something that adds up to me.

I think it belongs in about the 7 range. So that's my vote.

This gets a 4 from me.

The single player was pretty cake once you get the hang of handling your Spelunker Miner, and of being wary of how easy you can die with him.. once you beat the hundred stages of single player you should try to do a speed run of the single player mode again.

Since you already beat the game you should already have remembered every enemy.. every trap and sinkhole.

With that knowledge you can do Co-Op with a friend or by yourself with no NEED for the second player to have to be playing.

The only hard part is getting the mural pieces on stages that require THREE people to be on the yellow rope to drag it down.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted a 5. I was really debating going higher, even up to a 7. In the end I decided on 5 because, as other member have pointed out, this game basically boils down to memorization. Paired with the save trick in single player and the infinite lives trick in co-op, platinuming this game reduces to patience.

I gave it a 7 since nobody really plays it online unless you have a group ready to play it so for some people, they will never reach 100 percent unless they know someone else with the game that will boost for them... or they come to this site :) But also some of the coop levels are pretty tricky. Like Area 5 with all those fly up fall down little dragon guys! hate them soo much!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I give it a 6 solely for the steep learning curve. Once you have the game figured it, it's not bad. Co-op difficulty heavily depends on the skill of your partner(s), so it can be anywhere from 1 to 10, but in worst case you can do everything yourself (though it takes much longer) so the difficulty is neutralized.

Plat at 17:16 or so, not too bad.

I give it a 6 solely for the steep learning curve. Once you have the game figured it, it's not bad. Co-op difficulty heavily depends on the skill of your partner(s), so it can be anywhere from 1 to 10, but in worst case you can do everything yourself (though it takes much longer) so the difficulty is neutralized.

Plat at 17:16 or so, not too bad.

Absolutely. you can have a room full of decent Spelunkers but it only takes one inexperienced player to bring the game to a halt after 2 minutes.

lucky I have a mate who is much better than I am so getting plat for this wont take to much longer.

give it a 6.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm really really unsure what to give this game. I mean, in the beginning it was a bit hard because I had to get used to the game, but later in the game it was so easy. I mean, I did co-op levels 4-10 alone. In the 4th area I even got 3 people down to the piece where you need 3 people, alone. Turned out I had to finish the game with all three too else it just wouldn't continue. I had no game over screen during this time, except for figuring out a patter at the very beginning of area 10, the first half minute of the first level there (91). >_> But yeah, else I had no game over screen. I finished the areas with plenty of lives left, usually many times what I started out with. This really makes it hard for me to give this game a proper difficulty score.

In the beginning it feels like a 7-9/10, but the more you play the game, it just gets easier and easier. For me solo co-op of area 9 and 10, which I found to be the hardest felt in the end like a 2/10 maybe 3/10. So I think getting used to the game is the biggest challenge, and once you do that it gets a lot easier.

The DLCs on the other hand is all pretty hard, and I think most of them require some trail and error. The main game is not so hard.

I'm tempted to vote 3 or 4... hmm

Oh, and if anyone wonders, it's a great game, and I totally recommend it, but the game will require some patience.

EDIT:

Urgh, I voted 3, but some few seconds later I wanted to vote 4 again. :p I think 4 would have been a more fair score, though I never had any problems doing the game alone.

Edited by MMDE

• 1 month later...

After you get used to the tight limitations of the game (one-hit death, can't fall more than a centimeter, etc.), the game really isn't very hard. Especially factoring in Save/Load with unlimited checkpoints and the unlimited lives in offline co-op, this game is not too bad. I'd go with a 4, only because of the initial frustration. By the time you're to the third or fourth area, you should have the system down cold.

The DLC, on the other hand... pretty tough. Same tactics of Save/Load and unlimited lives apply, but the DLC is ruthless. Some challenges will have you dying 10-20 times at the same spot. DLC is probably a 7.

• 1 year later...