Should I buy the DLC?

MikeMan54

I've been reading about how this game takes an insane grind and certain enemies are near unbeatable. And this being a free to play game, i sort of rationalize it as, the game + the DLC only cost me $22(AU).

"Save 40%! The Spartacus Legends™ Gladiator Starter Pack is the ultimate collection of items to get you started on your glorious path to fame and fortune. The Gladiator Starter Pack contains 100 gold coins, the Oenomaus sword and shield, Fame, Silver and Health Boosts, and the fatal Lobotomy Executions"

I haven't played this game yet, but are those things worth it?

Honestly no. The game will still take you an insane amount of time if you want to earn the gold trophy. If you just want the other trophies then this pack will surely speed things along, but earning all the other trophies only takes like 10 hours max in the first place, less if you are a quick study.

The hundred gold could be used to buy 5 fame boosts which double your fame for 5 fights. That essentially means 25 less fights you would have to do to make level 50. A fight takes around 90 seconds. To make level 50 you will have to do literally thousands of fights. I think. I didn't actually do the math or anything. But that should put it in perspective of how far 100 gold actually gets you.

*edit* I'll also add to that by telling you this game has a lot of bugs/quirks/flaws/glitches. It's free for a reason. You might want to at least spend a good 5 or so hours playing it before you decide if it's worth spending a dime on.

Edited by lporiginalg

i found the game interesting, i've played it at first on my american account, and now on my european account.

i took the starter pack, which is a little help, but not much.

around level 15, you're able to get all the trophies, except the one for the level 50.

the most important in the game is the perk. really. if you have perks about regenerating your health, it's much more easier. no one is unbeattable in this game. no one. even baal with a hammer. and spartacus is the easiest legend to beat (with crixus for exemple, it's piece of cake).

for primus or boss, your need weapons, protections. for the others, they are just over you in weapons and stuff : the more you get, the more the have.

and : the less you have, the less they get (to fight you in the arena).

fame is another key, and the most fame, and i think the best perk can be found in the spectacula (where spartacus is to boss to win).

it's free. test it on a secondary account. you like, you play it on your account. or, you delete the game.

The game was addicting enough guilty pleasure for me to spend €4,95 to get 50 gold coins. Since you get gold coins when leveling up, it was a useless purchase. I'm now level 20 and I have 51 gold coins left. I've even spent gold on useless stuff like buying one legendary gladiator (11 gold coins right there).

There is nothing you couldn't manage with only spending silver coins, like said you have to grind the fights over and over again to ever have even a modest dream of reaching lv 50, regardless of the amount you buy. The gear seemingly only available with gold is eventually turned into silver prices upon leveling up, and the gold only stuff is so rare (at least at this point) everything you could possibly need can be purchased with the gold you gain automatically.

If you're in a hurry to get some overleveled gear or want cosmetic stuff like a specific gladiator, you could spend a modest amount to get your toys. Otherwise I see little reason to pay cash.

My gameplay style is to use silver to buy normal gladiators and send them to the mines over and over again until I get nice strong blue ones, this way I never have to pay 5 gold or wait 30 mins to get a refresh. Once I have a good gladiator, I'll grind Capua challenger fights over and over until I get strong perks for it.

There is nothing unbeatable in the game, I was able to finish off everyone including all legendary gladiators at level 17 with corresponding silver coin gear and blue gladiators bought with silver coins only. At that point I also had all the trophies not counting the lv 50 one.

Honestly no. The game will still take you an insane amount of time if you want to earn the gold trophy. If you just want the other trophies then this pack will surely speed things along, but earning all the other trophies only takes like 10 hours max in the first place, less if you are a quick study.

The hundred gold could be used to buy 5 fame boosts which double your fame for 5 fights. That essentially means 25 less fights you would have to do to make level 50. A fight takes around 90 seconds. To make level 50 you will have to do literally thousands of fights. I think. I didn't actually do the math or anything. But that should put it in perspective of how far 100 gold actually gets you.

*edit* I'll also add to that by telling you this game has a lot of bugs/quirks/flaws/glitches. It's free for a reason. You might want to at least spend a good 5 or so hours playing it before you decide if it's worth spending a dime on.

Couldn't agree more, i've spent hundred hours and i'm not even half close to lvl 50. Pay attention to what he said.

Like another guy also said in this thread, equips only help at missions, where your opponents don't raise their ratings to always be more than yours, but at random fights (no mission) the rating always depend of what's your rating.

Totally broken game, get those 11 trophies and leave lvl 50...use that absurd number of hours to plat 10 games !! :whistle:

If you want another fighting game very similar, get the bundle of Deadliest Warrior... it's an amazing game and NOT BROKEN !!!! :cool:

I've been reading about how this game takes an insane grind and certain enemies are near unbeatable. And this being a free to play game, i sort of rationalize it as, the game + the DLC only cost me $22(AU)

If I did the conversion right, that is like $20 US dollars; this game plus the DLC is not worth the price. This game has its moments of fun and greatness but when you stack it up against other games on the PSN that around $20, it fails in comparison. Save your money and buy a game that you will enjoy instead of spending it on a game that you will come to loath when grinding for that gold trophy.

• 5 months later...

yes take heed to the 'time spent' truly seriously long grind.

but never spend $ on this.

the 1 & only time i did was on the 240 gold pack when 2x XP weekend hit with half price fame boost & XP was 4x if you played online. i also got some yellow helmet & trident by paying gold $. this ws really worth it as their stats were awesome compared to lvl50 items.

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/danecollins22/reymyesterio_zps01b20cdd.png

http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/raz619.png

• 4 weeks later...