Complete without continuing

Rhysss

I'm guessing not many folks have the complete without continuing trophy...I can get top 25 rank and lose out in world 5...

If you've gotten the trophy, which weapon did you use and what was your strat, and/or any tough spots?

I have been using the field weapon and just seem to lose too many lives in world 3 and 4....mainly to that stupid thing that blows up like the sun with no apparent safe spots (some corners are randomly safe it seems), and that dumb thing that shoots a 3 burst from each side.

Would love to hear any tips from you guys.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying for this trophy myself, I keep dying around world 4 (in 2 tries, I made it to 4-2 and 4-4). I pretty much only die to random crap spawning on top of me, and it really seems like unless I memorize every level, there's just no way I'll stay alive. I've been using Field, but I just unlocked Classic and I'm thinking of hiding in a corner with that.

I consider myself at least decent at shooters, but this game is so cheap in how it kills you that everything I know about shooters is practically useless, sigh.

For the Unknown enemy, the lower left corner has always been safe for me, every time I've fought it. Lower right seems safe too, but I always go left.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot the names of most of the weapons because it's been several months since I last played it, but I got the no-continue trophy by using the weapon that uses the 4 straight lasers that spread out when you move forward and criss-cross when you move backward. It's pretty decent against most bosses since you can focus fire all 4 beams on them as well as hit them from an angle if needed. It's also great for protecting yourself from masses of enemies since you can create a makeshift barrier in front of you.

It's a good 'lazy weapon' alternative to the field weapon. Field is great for the main parts of the stages, but is absolutely horrid against most bosses.

I've also heard of people being very successful with the Round weapon, but you have to be more active with it.

edit: the weapon I was referring to is Variable. I originally tried using Field for my first couple of runs, but kept losing all of my lives on boss fights that lasted way too long. I remember coming down to my last life with Variable but was able to pull it off.

Edited by GForce9x

• 1 month later...

Finally did this yesterday. It's tough because you have to remain completely focused on the game for so long, and it's so easy to run into a wall or get careless and have something spawn on top of you.

I cleared the first three levels without dying, lost 2 ships in level four, and went into the 5-5 (vertebrate) battle with 3 ships. Died twice and managed to hang on and win with my last ship. Used the field weapon and my rank was 13. Unfortunately the rank isn't published, I guess because I played on easy mode.

When I died, I would write down what to avoid the next time I played through, and I also included bosses. It was very helpful to reference the list before each stage.

Tips:

- Use the Field ship; it seems like the game was designed for it.

- Go through all 100 levels on challenge mode before attempting Continue-Free Clear. You fight each boss so many times you'll memorize their patterns and they become second hand.

- Progressive UFO: For the first set of bars line up with the left window of the center ship. This way you are still shooting him while the bars are out. For the second set, line up with the "ST" of stock in the bottom left of the screen. Position yourself about a quarter of the way from the bottom of the screen so you can shoot him when he does the pass by. When the bars move, you can use the D-pad to nudge your ship over - it's much less touchy than the analogue stick. You should only have to deal with the moving bars the first time you fight Progressive UFO. After that his hit points decrease and you'll take him out during his pass by when you're on the "ST", before the bars split. When you're fighting the 3D version of Progressive UFO in level 5, you'll want to line up with the "TO" in stock.

- Unknown: When he launches the 4 squares, the last one connects the dot to you. So get a few ship-lengths away and shoot the hell out of him. When the last of the 4 squares tries to connect to you, just move a bit closer to him and the last line will miss. Repeat, but as the last line is retracting, get away from him because this is where he starts flying around and doing his AoE. During this phase, stay on the opposite side of the screen from him and move through the bullets when they are slow and far apart. But stay close enough to him that you're still shooting. When he blows up, just stay in the bottom left corner of the screen as far as you can go. Keep shooting him though, and he'll die as the giant white circle is retracting.

- Play through level 5 until you can beat it without losing most of your ships. The first three levels of the game are pretty easy, and level 4 is not too bad.

- Ultimate UFO (5-3): This is really a short and easy stage, it's just different so you have to master it. After beating Progressive UFO, you're going to need to take out the two space ships that shoot lots of bullets. As you go through the spindles, you'll need to blow them up to safely pass through. Against the gears at the very top, you can't go higher than half the screen or you will blow up (for pretty much no reason). When the gears do blow up, remember to fly through the hole they make.

- Level 2-4: Stay low and center and you'll be fine. Stay low and center whenever you can and this usually avoids stuff popping on top of your ship.

Good luck!

I actually did this without losing 1 single life. All 30 stages in 1 single life. Obviously I used the field weapon, any other weapon is poor in comparison. i wish I would have recorded my run and youtubed it, but I really spent no life at all. All I can say is DO NOT FIGHT the UNKNOWN Boss or the WATER STRIDER. Just wait for them to leave the battle. The rest is all about positioning. The patterns are pretty easy to remember. The Progressive UFO, the Vertebrate, the Squid (all in all very few bosses) might offer a little scare but nothing you cannot memorize. During the fight with the Crab, make sure to move around the screen fast when it launches its spears at you (after it has taken them out of its sides) and try to take the spears out 1st. Be patient and don't be scared to get up close and let go of the Firing button to decrease your weapon's field to half its maximum diameter. This makes the weapon twice as powerful. And bosses like the centipede, mandala, ladybug, octopus or the hornet do not offer any risk at all, you basically hold the fire button and move very little to none. Be prepared to die at the beginning of stage 5-1. Do not get angry. If you are really fast at steering your ship left to right, you can dodge it but it's tough. Also the boss of stage 2-6, stay at the upper part of the screen either to the left or to the right of the screen. This kills its 2 dangerous parts before they even have a chance to launch their many bullets at you, and memorize when this boss shows up again at later stages. Memorize the multiple gates puzzle pattern and other areas you deem dangerous, but all in all this game offers way less than 9 dangerous areas, and you have 9 lives so this trophy is not as tough as it seems. Try beating Novastrike in hard core. Ouch!!! What a pain!

Edited by StarFoxMania
hasty typos

I actually did this without losing 1 single life. All 30 stages in 1 single life. Obviously I used the field weapon, any other weapon is poor in comparison. i wish I would have recorded my run and youtubed it, but I really spent no life at all. All I can say is DO NOT FIGHT the UNKNOWN Boss or the WATER STRIDER. Just wait for them to leave the battle.

I think I died to water strider once on easy - just hang out by his back left leg while shooting him, and move to the bottom left corner when he shoots out in front of you or jumps.

Unknown is the funnest boss to fight IMO.

I didn't realize the field weapon was stronger the smaller the radius is. I guess it makes sense - you can get more shots off that way.

If you only play with 3 ships you'll get your name in the top 20 leader boards - go for it!

I think I died to water strider once on easy - just hang out by his back left leg while shooting him, and move to the bottom left corner when he shoots out in front of you or jumps.

Unknown is the funnest boss to fight IMO.

I didn't realize the field weapon was stronger the smaller the radius is. I guess it makes sense - you can get more shots off that way.

If you only play with 3 ships you'll get your name in the top 20 leader boards - go for it!

this thread is for the trophy and the best thing to do for the sake of the trophy is to not fight the strider at all. It's the safest bet of guaranteeing no life lost while encountering him (just wait like a coward in the bottom right corner of the screen) It takes quite a while for him to leave and ignore you but it's still a much shorter time than losing all 9 lives later on and wasting the entire time it took you to get there. Same with Unknown, just ignore it the whole 2 or 3 times you meet him. These are the only 2 bosses that will not hurt you if you just wait for them to leave.

Now if this thread was about playing for fun, of course I wouldn't say to ignore the 2 bosses.

and thanks for the 3 lives leaderboards thingy. I didn't know that and I was wondering why my score did not register.

• 1 month later...

How did you kill the little Enemy, which beams himself through the screen, always over your ship, it appers at the end of Level 3-3. It looks like a square with round corners. This one steals me some lives every time... :mad:

I actually did this without losing 1 single life. All 30 stages

damn it! I was pretty close, I got to 4-4 or 4-5 without losing a single life then I just died so many freaking times at this one level and some big damn boss where the whole screen fills up, haven't played the game in SO long, I'm going to give it another go tomorrow

But that's awesome you got through it without dying since I started thinking about how I didn't die for sooooo long with the field weapon, I was like "is it possible to beat it without dying?"

I actually did this without losing 1 single life. All 30 stages in 1 single life. Obviously I used the field weapon, any other weapon is poor in comparison. i wish I would have recorded my run and youtubed it, but I really spent no life at all. All I can say is DO NOT FIGHT the UNKNOWN Boss or the WATER STRIDER. Just wait for them to leave the battle. The rest is all about positioning. The patterns are pretty easy to remember. The Progressive UFO, the Vertebrate, the Squid (all in all very few bosses) might offer a little scare but nothing you cannot memorize. During the fight with the Crab, make sure to move around the screen fast when it launches its spears at you (after it has taken them out of its sides) and try to take the spears out 1st. Be patient and don't be scared to get up close and let go of the Firing button to decrease your weapon's field to half its maximum diameter. This makes the weapon twice as powerful. And bosses like the centipede, mandala, ladybug, octopus or the hornet do not offer any risk at all, you basically hold the fire button and move very little to none. Be prepared to die at the beginning of stage 5-1. Do not get angry. If you are really fast at steering your ship left to right, you can dodge it but it's tough. Also the boss of stage 2-6, stay at the upper part of the screen either to the left or to the right of the screen. This kills its 2 dangerous parts before they even have a chance to launch their many bullets at you, and memorize when this boss shows up again at later stages. Memorize the multiple gates puzzle pattern and other areas you deem dangerous, but all in all this game offers way less than 9 dangerous areas, and you have 9 lives so this trophy is not as tough as it seems. Try beating Novastrike in hard core. Ouch!!! What a pain!

Wooo, leavin the Unknown and Strider bosses alone was what got me the trophy. Who knew that the way to beat the hardest bosses was to sit there and do nothin? Thanks for the tip.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just earned my trophy a few hours ago and i must say it was a nice challenge. This was my 3rd attempt at the trophy, and it's alot easier when you know what's comin. I had 3 lives left, so i consider that to be good for me. Not as hard as some people stated, but not that easy either. Personally, i took breaks every 6 levels as my eyes were killing me last time i tried. That way i kept my cool and was able to concentrate on the levels alot better.

At least it wasn't Super Stardust HD and that damn Late Boomer trophy... :(