Thoughts on the game?

OnceFallen

Damn you just as I make a thread you thread ninja me. I'll post my view in this thread then. :)

This game is the most outrageous top down shooter I've ever played. There are so many enemies flying around screen by the end of the demo it was insane and it I only got to level 5! I haven't played the "bullet hell" type top down shooters but I think this is the closest thing I can handle.

How this demo did not have a seizure warning before you started is beyond me. There were so many flashing lights, enemies and bullets flying on the screen at the same time. The way the camera shifts is weird and I never was 100% sure if an enemy was below me, in front of me or above me because of the way the camera was.

With that said though the gameplay was pretty fun but it certainly isn't your classic Space Invaders. I think the game is a little too mind blowing for my liking so I'm going to pass on this one.

The demo was fun. I'm convinced to buy it. Especially when you can play SI with your music. I only need 6 more dollars to buy the full game.

Crap, didn't even realize there was a demo for it :facepalm: Guess I'll just get that and answer my own question :p

Damn you just as I make a thread you thread ninja me. I'll post my view in this thread then. :)

Sorry :p I just realized there was finally a forum for it and the trophy list was loaded, so figured someone out there had to have gotten it, so figured I'd ask, sorry :D

Edited by OnceFallen

I'm playing the full version. You unlock different weapons and things as you go; which is a nice touch. Though some of them are really gimmicky and I'm not sure how many weapons total there will be.

I started playing "Challenge Mode" which, going by the trophy list, is a set of 99 levels you push through and get a trophy at the end for doing so. If you run out of lives you can pick up where you left off; so it isn't asking you to blow through the whole thing in one go (which would be insane).

The bosses are pretty simple. Actually, everything is pretty simple. But I'm enjoying it. I'm on level 40/99 right now for Challenge Mode. Still playing around with the different weapons to see which I like best.

I'm playing the full version. You unlock different weapons and things as you go; which is a nice touch. Though some of them are really gimmicky and I'm not sure how many weapons total there will be.

As far as I know, there are 10 ships (I've unlocked everything aside from Bonus Stages and difficulties already XD). Just from memory (might name a few wrong). Gonna skip the first three because you likely have them.

Rapid

Search

Wave

Lock-On (locks on and hits enemies above and below you)

Gravity (explodes, causing a black hold that destroys bullets, is slow)

Round (fires shots that destroy bullets, shots are fired opposite of the last direction you pressed, you press down, they fire up)

Field (creates a field around you that attacks enemies inside it)

Option (little bots follow you like a snake and fire when you fire, slow fire rate, can have like 8 of 'em)

Variable (4 lasers that can be adjusted (open/close))

Classic (Powerful, slow fire rate, when an enemy is hit, time pauses for a split second, CANNOT be upgraded).

You cap out at 9 lives max, btw.

Edited by Eternal_Spoon

I've unlocked everything aside from Bonus Stages and difficulties already XD).

You cap out at 9 lives max, btw.

Do you eventually unlock a way of getting 1-ups and earning extra lives, in addition to changing the number of starting lives? If not, then the 'no continue' playthrough might be pretty challenging, even on Easy.

By the way, I found the demo to be quite a bit less coherent than the game itself. It seems that they threw in some of the more varied levels. In the game itself, the style of the levels changes more slowly (but things do get quite busy fairly quickly with enemies everywhere).

Edited by pasufarin

Do you eventually unlock a way of getting 1-ups and earning extra lives, in addition to changing the number of starting lives? If not, then the 'no continue' playthrough might be pretty challenging, even on Easy.

I actually don't anticipate it being that bad. The range on the "Field" weapon is absolutely insane and will take out most minor baddies before you even see them. Because the active radius is so large and you don't actually have to make a conscious effort to fire the thing; you can focus purely on flying defensively.

I actually don't anticipate it being that bad. The range on the "Field" weapon is absolutely insane and will take out most minor baddies before you even see them. Because the active radius is so large and you don't actually have to make a conscious effort to fire the thing; you can focus purely on flying defensively.
Ah, nice. I wasn't sure what its radius was. I've only unlocked through Round so far.

Just wanted to clarify something with the "Classic" ship. As I mentioned, it has a slow rate of fire (one bullet on screen at a time) and that it was powerful. I was wrong a bit on the power thing... It's not powerful... it ONE SHOTS EVERYTHING, BOSSES INCLUDED. Or it does for me so far, anyway.

I'm on Normal in Area 5, and a no continue run on Easy seems like it's still going to be a pain in the ass >_< In like areas 3, 4, and probably 5, the 5th level is like a boss rush >_< Area 5 is especially a pain in the ass with Field, because of the camera (bosses specifically, though it's still pretty badass)... You'll understand when you get there...

No way of actually getting one ups as far as I know...

And the Field (as stated in it's description) is pretty powerful if the field is half it's maximum size. Don't really suggest it unless you either have it upgraded or you're sure you can get away with it.

Edit: Final boss is a joke with Field. Kills it in an instant, you just stay in the safe spot in the center, and fire away. Classic doesn't kill this one in one hit (though it does everything else). Guess you just gotta get so many hits off, which Field exceeds at :D

Also, I decided to beat JUST the final level (just an easy boss, nothing else) on Hard right after unlocking it, and the Trophy for beating Hard popped :D Though Insane didn't unlock... Either I gotta beat all the levels, or take a look at those bonus levels.

It's pretty late for me, so I'll check this out tomorrow...

Edited by Eternal_Spoon

I'm at 94/99 on Challenge Mode now. I've pretty much decided that the most well-rounded weapon (for me, at least) is...well, Round.

It easily destroys the vast majority of enemy projectiles. Which is really helpful. There were a couple instances I've survived simply by spazzing out and spinning my gun in a circle while firing wildly.

It hasn't served me well against the Water Strider boss though. Just about the only situation in which its really failed me.

Okay. I beat the 99 levels of Challenge Mode and got the trophy. Doing so also unlocked "Nightmare" difficulty for the main game.

Somewhere along the line during my Challenge playthrough enemies starting getting one last shot in as they died (ala Ikaruga for those familiar). This change in game mechanic made weapons capable of consuming enemy fire pretty much required. I used Round and Gravity completely from that point forward.

Yeah, that was the boss I first tried the Classic ship on. I figured since I was continuing and starting right at the boss, there were no UFOs so no upgrades, so I figured I may as well give it a go since it can't be upgraded.

I shoot and he dies on the first hit, and I was like... whoa... Since I had used continues already, I just used Classic the rest of the game and destroyed bosses, though dying on the way to them a few times.

Seems you can only unlock the first 2 areas of Bonus stages, the rest appear to be DLC, stupid SE. The DLC section mentions this (ingame), and area 2-6 is just a "Thank you for playing." message.

I'll run through Challenge tomorrow and get that over with before doing another Normal run.

Edit: Just saw your post after I posted mine, so that solves Nightmare. I still need to check out music mode, and that one I'll definitely enjoy :D And I'll guess I'll clear the rest of the bonus stages (I skipped some).

Edited by Eternal_Spoon

I beat the standard mode on Nightmare. Because you can just keep using continues to start a level over; you can pretty much just brute force your way through with your full stock of ships and a different choice of gun any time you run into a problem.

Nightmare is pretty wild (though I admit its the only difficulty I've played the campaign on so I have nothing to compare it to). The fact that enemies produced a bullet when they died made me fall back on the Gravity gun; which I mained the entire game and that worked out pretty nicely for me. Being able to take down the bullets in addition to the guys made getting the 1500+ Chain necessary for the chain trophy a walk in the park. Which, in turn, made the "High Score" trophy a walk in the park.

Turns out you get a high score when everything that spawns in gets eaten by a wormhole instantly.

The difficulty trophies don't stack. I didn't expect they would but I was a tad bummed to have to do it all over again on Easy, Normal, AND Hard for more trophies.

I mentioned in one of my previous posts, but all you need to do is clear the last level (the final boss) on said difficulty and the trophy will pop. No need to go through the whole game. Kinda cheap, but a huge time saver, if you don't feel like playing through the whole thing a bunch of times.

Edit: Didn't realize that was already posted in the trophy guide at the time. Never mind XD.

Edited by Eternal_Spoon

I really enjoyed it, but omg on stage 2-1 on the demo, I felt like my eyeballs would throw up for a moment from those blue lines!!!:eek: For those who get siezures from certain patterns of flashing lights or lots of lines moving at once, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS GAME, DON'T EVEN PLAY THE DEMO!!! I RARELY get those weird motion probs from games, but those blue lines moving that way freaked me out a little for a moment:eek: But, the more I played it, the easier it got. Great game, I think I'll buy it, even if it kicks my ass sometimes, but I guess that's where the practice comes in;)

Edited by Dreadnought190