My Yatta Experiences

(The following is long and is really written more for me, as a catharsis after being frustrated by this damn game, than it is for you. If you want to skip to the point, read the last two paragraphs. Otherwise, Alt-Left Arrow will take you back.)

Alright, after a few hours of playing, here's my collected wisdom on the subject, forever etched on this board in the hopes that it will help someone.

It is possible to beat this game using a ton of skill. There is a lot of strategy that could be involved. However, I realized quite quickly that I didn't have the mental capacity to try to win this way. My problem was that when I would plan out my combos, inevitably the one colour I needed to complete the combo would not show up. Now, what a skilled player would do is use the colours that WERE coming down to start new combos, all the while looking for that one colour to use in the initial combo. Well, I couldn't do that. The beans came too fast for me, so I would throw them off to the sides until one showed up that was the right colour. So, I got my combo, but I also had tons of beans stacked willy-nilly with no rhyme or reason. Inevitably, I would lose.

So, without being skilled enough to beat the game, I had to rely on luck. I have successfully rationalized this to myself by saying that the big combos are almost always the result of luck. I can't believe that anyone could successfully plan out and execute a 4+ combo. Certainly nowhere near the majority of people. So don't feel bad admitting that you're not skilled enough to beat the game. Most people aren't.

There are two ways to beat Robotnik: long, drawn-out, epic battles that last several minutes and short beat-downs where you land a huge combo before he does and rain down rocks on his ass. The long, epic battles are for the more skilled players, while the short ones are primarily the domain of the lucky. The strategy for a long game and a short game is very different, because one relies on skill and the other on luck. Trying to win a long game relying primarily on luck will take you a very long time, just as trying to use skill to win a game quickly will take you a long time. Know thyself. Change your strategy depending on how you want to try to win.

Once I decided I was going to try to win a short game using luck, I chose to play using the hardest difficulty. My goal was to strike Robotnik with a multi-combo blow before he could do the same to me. Since I wasn't using tons of strategy, the speed at which the beans fall doesn't impact me so much. In fact, you want to get your beans down as quickly as possible to try to beat Robotnik to the combo. So my advice would be that if you're playing to win a long, skilled game, play on easy. I wanted to short, lucky game so I played on hardest.

The little bit of strategy I used was as follows: I knew I wanted a multi-combo, but I didn't have enough skill to be able to set it all up. That doesn't mean I let the beans fall randomly, though. I decided that half the colours would go on the left side and half on the right. I built up the first column on each side all the way to the top and worked inward. Once I had one and a half columns on each side, I started looking for places where there were three beans of the same colour together. I didn't know if it would start a combo, but if I happened to get the right one, I would try. If not, I would keep building my columns putting half the colours to one side and half to the other. Now sometimes, the combos just didn't come. Actually, most of the time the combos just didn't come. But by having three colours to each side, it gives you a better chance at generating a combo than just placing them randomly.

After about 15-20 short losses using this method, I got lucky with a massive combo and won. Now, it took me a couple of hours to get to know myself and learn how to play to my strengths (is lack of skill a strength?), but I finally did it. If you're frustrated, you might want to try this or something similar. I hope this helps someone. God damn this game.

There are two ways to beat Robotnik: long, drawn-out, epic battles that last several minutes and short beat-downs where you land a huge combo before he does and rain down rocks on his ass.

This is the way I beat him (long way) on my 147th try I was trying to get a combo going but had to wait ages at 1st I thought I'd placed 1 in the wrong place luckly it started of a chain. It was so big at the top when it shows how many bad beans are gonna drop I had a red splat sort of thing up there on Robotnik's side.

After the combo a ton dropped on his precious pile and he couldn't do nothing I paused to look at his beans even using the hardest code (hopeing he would choke but he didn't on my UK version of the game). Every bean was perfect in 3's already for that killer bean it to start off a chain what would be my doom. Luckly I got him the ****** and I crushed his ass with loads in the end all he could do was plant them anywhere he was too close to the top (about level on the bit where it show what beans are coming next).

He was trying thou he got 2 combos that killed some bad beans but he choked in the end and I finally got my trophy I think that is my most "I worked for that" gold I've got.

You did this the legit way? :eek: You're a hero, man!

Well, I'm not. I only used the lame "Press-The-PS-Button-And-Save-After-Every-Combo"-Trick :)

Nah, I just set myself up to get lucky. The real heroes are guys like Nakatomi_Uk who can sustain a long battle. You've got some real skill, man...good show.

I finally beat that bastard! Took me forever to get to him, never used any save states. yesterday i got to the 4th lvl and then gave up. then today started from scratch, took me 3 hours to get to robotnik and an other 30 minutes to beat him, but got it in 44 seconds. he was actually easier then his predecessors. gg now i never have to play that piece of crap again, and thats pretty much the only game on the list i feel that way about.