»»» Hard Boiled, it's not so hard (some tips here)

overday

PS: Sorry my bad english, I'll try to make it as clear as possible

At first I didn't realize there where Hot Dog missions in Eggmanland. Then I saw some threads complaining about Hard Boiled, saying it is nearly impossible and things like that. I tought "I'm not wasting my time getting other trophies if I'm never getting the platinum because of this one", then I stopped trying to get any other trophies to focus all my efforts on Hard Boiled.

I agree, when I first saw there is a hot dog mission in Eggmanland I thought "no way I'll ever complete this stage with a single life", because it took me almost two hours and dozens of 1-ups do complete it during the story mode. But I took the challenge, started trying about 3 p.m. and I got the trophy that same night. Is it hard? Yes. But it's far from being one of the hardest trophies ever.

No need to say the key point here is memorize every single inch of the stage, that's why it takes so much time. There are three hedgehog sectors and three werehog sectors. The only ones really hard are the second werehog (the one with the pipes over the lava) and the third hedgehog part, once you get to the last werehog sector (wich is the largest one), it's piece of cake.

The missions are time trials, but the time will NOT be your challenge here. The first level is 75 minutes, the second is 65 minutes and the third is 45 minutes, but my three runs took about 23~25 minutes each. Fortunatelly the game producers set times that will not bother you.

OK, you don't need to worry about time, but you'll definitely want to always take the shorter path and go as fast as you can. That's because you're most likely to die many times near the end of the stage, it's way better and less frustrating to waste 20 minutes of your life on each try than waste 60 minutes.

As I said before, there are only two sectors really hard. The other four ones you can just pass through fast. Here are some tips on doing it:

- Right after the first QTE, get the on the rails hidden over the ramp. That will take you right to the end of the first hedgehog sector, saving you about 3 minutes.

- Avoid unnecessary werehog battles. Once you reach a new werehog area, if there's a lever just go to the lever, open the door and go away, don't keep on fighting the enemies. You'll save a lot of time this way. Actually, there are only two areas in the whole level where you NEED to fight enemies do proceed: on the first werehog sector, when you hang on the moving cauldrons, you have to defeat all the enemies to make the pink energy bars disappear so you can reach the lever; and on the third werehog sector, there's a room with huge blades on the floor and floating enemies that you need to defeat to gain access to the lever. You can skip every other battles.

- When you reach the werehog areas with the pipes over the lava, go slow, take your time, adjust the camera. This is by far the hardest part of the entire stage (for me).

- When you see the QTE buttons, PAUSE! Once the game is paused, memorize the buttons :)

- If you're still working on memorize the level, pause the game when you're about to reach a new area and watch an Eggmanland video on Youtube so you'll know what's coming on the next area and will be able to prepare yourself. On your 2nd and 3rd time trial runs you'll have the whole level on your head and won't need the video anymore, really.

Here's a video with the whole level:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm0VQjAFDFg]YouTube - Sonic Unleashed: EggmanLand No-Death S-Rank [1/3] (Xbox 360)[/ame]

- Be patient. It takes a lot, a lot of tries do get to the end of the stage for the first time, but once it's done you'll do it again within a few more tries.

I think that's it. If there's any question, just ask, I'll help if I can!

Edited by overday

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent tips and thanks for posting the video, it will help considerably when I try this level again. I spent 45 minutes on it last night and got stuck on the 3rd hedgehog part. I actually found the werehog tightrope/pipe parts fairly easy, but then from earlier levels I've learned to go slow and just wait for the camera to adjust on it's own. :)

• 2 weeks later...

No matter how hard I try, I fail...

Even if I DO take my time (which I did many times) I still fail...and I know from the start beating the clock wasn't an issue...

It's the 2nd Werehog part (pole balancing) and the 3rd Hedgehog part that I die in...the rest of the parts are dead easy for me...

I actually broke my Dualshock 3 controller once because of this damn game when I was so close to finally complete one time trial on Eggmanland...then a f**ked up glitch happened. WTF?! I was SO pissed when that happened...urgh I don't want to remember it...please...

Edited by StarlightSammy

No matter how hard I try, I fail...

Even if I DO take my time (which I did many times) I still fail...and I know from the start beating the clock wasn't an issue...

It's the 2nd Werehog part (pole balancing) and the 3rd Hedgehog part that I die in...the rest of the parts are dead easy for me...

I actually broke my Dualshock 3 controller once because of this damn game when I was so close to finally complete one time trial on Eggmanland...then a f**ked up glitch happened. WTF?! I was SO pissed when that happened...urgh I don't want to remember it...please...

Don't give up....I was also cursing this level. I played like 6 hours straight that level before I made through it...After a week I tried once again and I made it through right away...Once you get through it the first time it will get easier.....

You're saying I should play that horrible level 6 hours straight until I get it right? T~T

When I get frustrated, I die faster...and I will die in places that are usually a walk in the park for me...heck when I'm very frustrated I will die at the very beginning of the level a couple of times... >.<

I don't know >how< I'm gonna do this but if I do platinum Sonic Unleashed, I will probably show it off like a hog...because it's the HARDEST platinum for me by far because of this "level", and I haven't done the Chun..whatever, Adabat and -some other level- hotdog missions yet...because what's the point of doing those if you can't do the Eggmanland one? Three Bronze trophies at level 12 and above won't make you higher very fast. >.>

Edited by StarlightSammy

Great tips and Im sure they will help me but im still deciding wether I should buy this game or not.:confused:

Would it be ok if I added you on PSN so I can ask you a few questions about the game?

Thanks, in advance.;)

Sorry, I didn't see your post before. Of couse you can add me, go ahead :)

Excellent tips and thanks for posting the video, it will help considerably when I try this level again. I spent 45 minutes on it last night and got stuck on the 3rd hedgehog part. I actually found the werehog tightrope/pipe parts fairly easy, but then from earlier levels I've learned to go slow and just wait for the camera to adjust on it's own. :)

Actually the hard parts are when you have to jump the spiked rings and the camera screws you when you're in the air :mad:

Actually the hard parts are when you have to jump the spiked rings and the camera screws you when you're in the air :mad:

Never had that problem... I went slow and the camera always adjusted before I got to a part where I had to jump over any spikes.

I haven't tried the Hot Dog Trials for Eggmanland yet, but I've completed 4 other countries, so I feel a bit more confident about my chances when I do attempt it - I've definitely gotten much better at the type of platforming the game requires.

Never had that problem... I went slow and the camera always adjusted before I got to a part where I had to jump over any spikes.

I haven't tried the Hot Dog Trials for Eggmanland yet, but I've completed 4 other countries, so I feel a bit more confident about my chances when I do attempt it - I've definitely gotten much better at the type of platforming the game requires.

What you should do is beat Hard boiled before any other hot dog trophies then you no you can get platinum for sure.:)

What you should do is beat Hard boiled before any other hot dog trophies then you no you can get platinum for sure.:)

Heh, I've thought about that, but I kind of feel the other way about it... if I can get the hot dog trophies for all the other countries, then I feel I should be able to get Eggmanland, especially after all the practice the others give me. Plus, it's nice to get little rewards now and then to keep me going.

I'm so pissed...I FINALLY completed Eggmanland without losing a life...but guess what? It wasn't a hot dog mission. I tried again (hot dog mission this time) and I fail. Gawdddd....

>.>

I did ALL the hot dog missions apart from Eggmanland, Adabat and Chun-nan. Chun-nan's so easy for me, but like...WHAT'S the point of getting that bronze trophy if you can't get Hard Boiled?

I'm so pissed...I FINALLY completed Eggmanland without losing a life...but guess what? It wasn't a hot dog mission. I tried again (hot dog mission this time) and I fail. Gawdddd....

>.>

I did ALL the hot dog missions apart from Eggmanland, Adabat and Chun-nan. Chun-nan's so easy for me, but like...WHAT'S the point of getting that bronze trophy if you can't get Hard Boiled?

It's weird but I had more problems completing Adabat's missions (daytime) than Eggmanland. Getting used to control Sonic running over the water took me A LOT of tries.

I don't know...I always find that part easy...it was hard for me when I first played it...but I know how to go through it without dying. I did all the day hot dog missions on Adabat to be honest...all I have to do is the nighttime ones. But won't bother with it until I get Hard Boiled.

Eggmanland is just too hard...I HATE the QTE...when I get nervous I get it right and I die straight away. In fact every QTE (except one) in Eggmanland...if you get it wrong - instant death. And that's what I hate! >.>

I don't know...I always find that part easy...it was hard for me when I first played it...but I know how to go through it without dying. I did all the day hot dog missions on Adabat to be honest...all I have to do is the nighttime ones. But won't bother with it until I get Hard Boiled.

Eggmanland is just too hard...I HATE the QTE...when I get nervous I get it right and I die straight away. In fact every QTE (except one) in Eggmanland...if you get it wrong - instant death. And that's what I hate! >.>

Why don't you pause the game when the QTE comes out? The pause screen doesn't hide the buttons, you can still memorize them when the game is paused! You just need to know the QTE points do be prepared to pause.

It still covers a bit of them though. (I didn't so this method though... DX)

ANYWAY I GOTS THE TROPHY!!!! =D =D

All I had to do is remain calm throughout the damn level...finally after like 300 tries, I did it. And I have to thank the custom soundtrack feature. XD

Edited by StarlightSammy

Adabat...actually every hot dog mission is a hell a lot of a challenge except Apotos (the first level).

Mazuri hot dog daytime is easy, but you must go through almost every shortcut otherwise you won't make it in time and you'll fail.

So yeah, the hot dog missions are not easy. And that's what stopped many people from platinuming this game. Unless you are a Sonic fan or you are just a super ultra gamer, you'll give up in some point.

Adabat...actually every hot dog mission is a hell a lot of a challenge except Apotos (the first level).

Mazuri hot dog daytime is easy, but you must go through almost every shortcut otherwise you won't make it in time and you'll fail.

So yeah, the hot dog missions are not easy. And that's what stopped many people from platinuming this game. Unless you are a Sonic fan or you are just a super ultra gamer, you'll give up in some point.

Well i've platinum'd WipEout HD and evreyone says that is alot harder then Sonic Unleashed so.

No matter how hard it is, I will platinum it.;)

Ha! Whoever said that, I'm going to laugh at them.

So what if you platinum Wipeout HD? Sonic Unleashed and Wipeout are TWO entirely different games. Because you can platinum Wipeout, doesn't mean straight away you can platinum Sonic Unleashed. Can you platinum Cross Edge or Disgaea 3 then? You think Sonic Unleashed is easy, but it isn't. But a longgggggggggg shot. Sonic Unleashed can be put in as in top 10 hard platinums to get and it could be like in 5th place. Don't push your luck.

Yes, Hard Boiled isn't not so hard if you have the patience, your timing is perfect and you memorize the whole freaking long stage - but in the end, it's super hard. You haven't played it yet, so you don't know how hard it is. NO, don't go on Youtube and see these people play Eggmanland. THOSE are true experts playing who loves to play Sonic Unleashed everyday. They made it look so easy, but it just isn't.

Oh, and did I forget to mention the frame rate drops that happen in Adabat and the fixed camera that makes it even more harder? Especially when pole balancing with the Werehog?

Edited by StarlightSammy

Ha! Whoever said that, I'm going to laugh at them.

So what if you platinum Wipeout HD? Sonic Unleashed and Wipeout are TWO entirely different games. Because you can platinum Wipeout, doesn't mean straight away you can platinum Sonic Unleashed. Can you platinum Cross Edge or Disgaea 3 then? You think Sonic Unleashed is easy, but it isn't. But a longgggggggggg shot. Sonic Unleashed can be put in as in top 10 hard platinums to get and it could be like in 5th place. Don't push your luck.

Yes, Hard Boiled isn't not so hard if you have the patience, your timing is perfect and you memorize the whole freaking long stage - but in the end, it's super hard. You haven't played it yet, so you don't know how hard it is. NO, don't go on Youtube and see these people play Eggmanland. THOSE are true experts playing who loves to play Sonic Unleashed everyday. They made it look so easy, but it just isn't.

Oh, and did I forget to mention the frame rate drops that happen in Adabat and the fixed camera that makes it even more harder? Especially when pole balancing with the Werehog?

Ok then when I recieve platinum I will post here.

I will tell you again, I WILL PLATINUM SONIC UNLEASHED!:D

Oh and I no there two different games but i've asked many people who have platinum'd both and they all say that Wipeout requires alot more skill in order to earn platinum, whereas Sonic is just a crap load of trial and error.

Im not saying it's easy. I just no that once I learn the level Eggmanland, It will then become alot easier.

Well anyway, I cleared ALL the hot dog missions. Now all I have to do is collect ALL medals and the platinum's mine! =D

Good job! I only have the Empire City, Adabat and Eggmanland hot dog trophies left. Honestly, after doing 6 so far, I didn't find any of them all that difficult, just time consuming. I thought Shamar Day was going to be tough but after an hour of practicing it I easily got the Speeding Ticket trophy and did the trials real quick. Also, the night stages are so much easier once you max out your stats and understand the idiosyncracies of the Werehog camera/controls. I fly through the night ones now.

I know Eggmanland will be tough, no doubt... but it doesn't scare me so much anymore now that I've gotten through these other ones so quickly.