Eggmanland/Hard Boiled - Comprehensive Walkthrough

squared64

Hello everyone!

I'm squared64, and a new member to this forum. Actually, I'm also a new member to the Playstation 3 community (having purchased one a month ago), and have found myself eager to obtain some trophies. While I've only platinumed three games so far (Uncharted 3, Heavy Rain, and Sonic Unleashed), I'm looking forward to trying for more :)

Anyway, I thought that since many people seem to be having trouble with the Hard Boiled trophy, it would be appropriate to give my comprehensive walkthrough on Eggmanland. If anyone has any comments or amendments to suggest, I'd be more than happy to hear them.

Hedgehog #1: Grinding and boosting

-Begin by collecting about three or four of the five rings before jumping over the barrier

- Home-attack the two enemies in-front of you to bring down the barrier, before attacking the remainder in quick succession (there is a risk of a rocket hitting you, assuming your timing is off)

- Move to the right (boosting is risky, but possible), and home attack the spring before performing a light-dash (this seems unresponsive for me, so I recommend mashing triangle to do it correctly, while moving forward in the air)

- You'll automatically land on the dash pad and receive a challenging QTE (pause if necessary). Failure results in death

- Follow the path down, collecting some rings and jump/boost off of the 'flat' part of the platform to land on the rails in mid-air

- On the rails, jump to the right to avoid the pink-spinny-things, before returning to the middle rail directly after passing them. Boost from here, and you'll fly off the end of the rail, and hit a ring in mid-air

- Follow the path down here (boosting isn't risky, and is optional), and you'll hit a directional launcher. Press X, and light-dash with triangle to avoid the bottom-less pit

- You'll land on another rail, which you can follow to a spring

- When launched off the end of the rail, home attack in succession and land on the dash-pad underneath the rocket-enemy

- Follow the path to the first hourglass

Werehog #1: Grabbing and punching

- Begin by dashing (use R2/L2) to the edge of the platform, ignoring the enemies

- Jump and swing across the gap, using the rods

- Land on the next platform with two enemies, and run to the switch

- Ignore the enemies and activate the switch (if an enemy hits you, ignore it and continue. You can pull the switch before they attack again)

- Dodge their attacks for a few seconds, and wait for the platform to descend

- Grab the platform, and pull yourself up. Double-jump on the platform to avoid any potential attacks from below (the enemies can hit you through the platform on occasion)

- Wait, pull yourself up to the next platform, and dash to the lever

- Pull the switch (again, if attacked, ignore it and continue) to activate the 'teapots'

- Once the short cutscene finishes, jump and double-jump over the switch, and hold O to pull yourself onto one of the cups

- Wait on the cup until the next circular platform comes into sight. Jump off the cup, and land on the platform (take note of the edge, which you can, if necessary, grab onto)

- Kill all of the enemies here (I recommend taking out the black ones first, as they fire projectiles; two black ones spawn successively, one after the other). Note: The platform is small, and you can fall off it easily. When attacking enemies, I recommend positioning yourself in a way that propels them (and you) toward the center, rather than the side. Also, while they give me little grief, you may want to avoid the teacups, which alternate between being inflamed, and not being so

- When all the enemies are dead, a short cutscene will begin, and show the center switch is now available

- Control will now resume. The camera has changed from centric-focused to free-moving. Be careful, and take a moment to orientate yourself before moving. If you were near the edge, there's a chance that moving forward will kill you by fall, rather than move you toward the switch.

- Activate the switch in the center, and move toward the newly activated platform. Be warned that the teapots pass by here, and will knock you off when inflamed

- Since the platform you're jumping toward doesn't support shadows (argh!), I recommend waiting for it to lower fully, and double jumping straight ahead (a leap of faith)

- Wait for it to rise to the top, move onto the next platform, and swipe the hourglass to change back to Sonic

Hedgehog #2: Wall-jumping and Bobsledding

- Note: The PS3 version of the game seems to fail to spawn an enemy in the next area when played normally. It's easier to survive with the enemy spawned (as they can be home-attacked), so I recommend waiting after transforming into Sonic on the platform for about 5+ seconds

- Be careful (Sonic moves in a slippery fashion here), and walk up to the spring

- Welcome to the next area. The Eggman faces here are incredibly dangerous, and spell instant-death for those caught in-front of them. Since you waited (as I told you), there is an enemy directly to the right of the first Eggman face. Either play this part safe, and wait for the face to retract before doing so, or home-attack the enemy quickly.

- Now, jump over the pink laser wall, and jump onto the next platform before the second Eggman face kills you. Note that going too far into the wall here will have Sonic hit another set of pink lasers

- When Eggman pops out (fully!), jump on top of him, jump and boost into the wall, before wall-jumping off of it and home attacking some enemies

- Run against the conveyor belt here and jump + boost into the wall to begin a wall jumping sequence. Repeatedly jump left and right here, ignoring the placement of the yellow ceilings (which disappear and reappear rapidly) until you reach the top

- Two paths exist here, and I find this one easier: Home attack the spring to the right and stay on it until the platform above you passes underneath you. Wait until this platform is underneath the wall-jumping path with the pink-spinny-things (I should apologize as I'm afraid I lack the correct terminology here), and jump + boost into the right of the wall

- Quickly wall jump (I mean quickly, as there is a risk of falling about half-way through and losing some rings) to the top, and home attack the enemies ahead of you

- Follow the curved aerial ring path into the stomp-able boxes and stomp them, avoiding the spikes on the left and right (use the rings to get the correct position)

- You'll fall into a large tube, and land inside a roller-coaster trolley of sorts

- Watch the on-rails segment (and see the poor-clipping and framerate in all its faux glory) and you'll land inside a half-pipe

- The physics in this segment are agonizingly frustrating at times, and it almost seems luck-based that one doesn't go careening off the side. Follow the path, and try to use the enemies/rings as guides of where to go

- You'll see a ramp ahead after a bank turn. Ensure you hit the ramp straight on, and don't hit it on an angle (or you may find yourself in a bottomless-pit)

- The ramp will send you onto a small thin platform with two spikes in the center followed by two on the outer edges. I recommend jumping over the first set and staying straight in the middle throughout

- You'll then hit some dash-pads and land on the next segment of the course. Hit the enemies here and attempt to avoid the lasers with sharp turns

- Next are some rotating fans, which aren't too hard, and have a large sum of rings in the middle segment

- Finally, you'll hit another series dash pad (again, hit them straight-on), which will take you through three segments respectively: One of enemies (easy, just stay straight), one with a laser wall (Jump! Instant-death for hitting it. But don't jump too soon either), and one where you're no longer in a trolley/cart, which I guarantee will result in loss of rings for any first-time player (I recommend either boosting straight ahead when you land, or cautiously jumping over individual enemies if you're worried)

- After this, you'll hit a yellow (x5) QTE pad which, like the first one of this level, results in death if failed. If necessary, pause the game and read the buttons

- You'll land beside the next hourglass. Either kick it, or home-attack it

Werehog #2: Tightropes and frustrating camera-angles

- Just a quick heads-up, this section's camera is among the worst I've witnessed in gaming. Especially during the second half of it

- Begin by following the pipe on the left. Try to stay in the middle, and follow the corner very slowly

- Take it straight from here (be warned, the camera switches half-way through this pipe) and double jump to the next platform

- Double jump again in the direction of the small hand-grip (I don't recommend grabbing it, however) and land on the pipe

- Take your time here, and follow the corner again before heading straight. Double jump to the next platform

- Finally, jump off onto the pipe straight ahead, reach the end, jump up, and do so again to reach another (optional) brawl

- I recommend avoiding the enemies, taking the potential damage, and going straight for the switch. Head through the door for a (broken, sadly) checkpoint

- The camera makes it hard to see precisely where the next pipe is, and where one should drop to land on it. I recommend looking at the checkpoint, and judging the middle of the two poles as the pipe's center. Jump straight ahead from there and land on the pipe (I recommend delaying the double jump until the pipe is visible, to ensure precision)

- Follow the pipe and grab the next ledge before pulling yourself up onto the next small platform

- Grab the pipe on the boiler's left/right (your choice), and pull yourself around quickly, being sure to avoid the fire (if burned, I recommend mashing that O button and hoping you don't fall and die!)

- When all the way around (180 degrees approximately), jump off the ledge and delay your double jump again (there aren't any shadows here!) to land on the next large cylinder

- Jump *down* to the pipe below, and slowly follow it to the next platform. Jump onto it

- From here, move to the pipe that was previously on the left, and follow it to its end. Double-jump *up* to the next pipe, and follow it around to another cylinder. Jump onto this

- The next handhold is a retracting one, so wait until it turns red (goes in), and comes out again, before grabbing it, and swinging onto the pole on the left

- Finish your swing and take a leap of faith (no shadows!) to the next two platforms. You'll know when to stop moving forward thanks to the checkpoint's sound

- Jump up onto the next cylinder and try to land what I find the most frustrating jump of this level (solely because of the camera angle)

- I recommend making the camera point straight through your movement before attempting this, and watch out for those rotating spikes on the pipe!

- Follow this pipe, double jumping over the spikes, to the next cylinder and ledge. Grab the ledge, pull yourself up, and throw the switch to enter the next room

- A cutscene will initiate, and upon its conclusion, dash to the switch on the other side of the room. Pull it, ignoring the enemies, and head through the door. Hit the hourglass

Hedgehog #3: (More) Quicktime-events and instant-deaths

- Like the last Hedgehog section, I recommend waiting a few seconds before walking up to the spring, as the level doesn't seem to render itself in advance, resulting in the loss of a vital enemy

- When you hit the spring, follow the shuttle loop, and you'll enter the next segment. Here, an Eggman face can quickly end everything, so briskly home-attack that enemy I recommended you wait to spawn. Home-attack the spring and you'll end up in a directional launcher. Press square, and you'll reach a black Egg fighter, which I recommend home attacking

- Jump onto the next Eggman face, and jump forward off it once it goes up high enough to avoid hitting the spikes above you. Jump into the next section, which features four of the blasted things

- Firstly, avoid the one in the bottom left by jumping onto the right-hand wall-adjacent platform. Jump off of this platform, and onto the previous face to avoid the Eggman face on the right. Note: For some odd reason, I've been killed for jumping onto this face when it's pushed out half-way. I recommend to avoid this, you wait until the face is all the way out, rather than preempting its evil-pushing-ways! Finally, jump from this to the left and boost, then jump and boost again to avoid the final two pushers

- Follow this conveyor belt, and jump before its end to home attack the spring on the left. Follow the path above to the right, avoiding the pink walls on the conveyor belt, before boosting into the wall at the end and jumping off it to enter the directional launcher

- Regardless of whether or not the ceiling above you exists (since these yellow walls alternate), keep hitting X until you reach the top

- When you come out the top of this path, veer to the right to hit the ring in midair

- Follow the loops and be sure to jump over the spikes at the end of this path, before stomping and entering another unique directional launcher. Press O (for once, I believe) to go *down* to avoid the pink-spinny-thing(s)

- The next directional launcher requires you to press square. Here, you can take an optional breather by backing into the bottom right corner, and waiting for the pink-spinny-thing to pass

- When you're ready, boost into the wall on the right, and wall jump back into the directional launcher. Follow it, and its successors until you reach the one that says 'X'. Here, if the pink-spinny-thing has only just passed you, I recommend waiting about a half-second before pressing X, as you can be hit in midair by it if it hasn't cleared the path above

- After being launched into the air, move right and follow the dash-pads onto the next rail for some more QTEs!

- There are three (I recall) QTEs here, all of which spell instant-death, so pause if necessary to avoid such a fate

- You'll jump off the last one onto a path with several rings. I don't recommend boosting here, and jump(!!) before you fall off it to land on the conveyor belt

- The trick with this conveyor belt is to A: Stay in the dead center of it and boost, and B: Not under-estimate the distance of a boost jump. So stay in the center, boost constantly, and jump a little-earlier than you may assume to pass by the first laser wall. Keep going until you reach the hand-pulley (be warned, while staying in the center ensures no obstacles hit you, there is one exception of an occasional wall of boxes that you must jump over to avoid being pushed off) which you can home-attack

- Here is the only non-fatal QTE in the level, a multi-sequence three-button springboard that you can choose to pass or fail without penalty (sans time, and enemies)

- If you fail, be warned that a large spike wall will fall down in front of you soon, so stay back and wait for it. When it falls, jump onto it and follow it up to the platform you would have landed on had you succeeded.

- (Continued from failure) If you succeed, you'll land on a small platform with an enemy to your right. Wait until the Eggman face has gone back in, and been pushed all the way out before home attacking and continuing to the right via jumps

- Home-attack the spring at the end to be sent into a directional launcher. Press square, despite it saying 'X'

- This part is important: Boost and jump to the right from when you leave the launcher in order to reach one of two mid-air rings that will send you on a home-attacking path. If you refuse to jump, you'll fall off the edge

- Follow your respective home-attacking path and you'll land in the same place, on an enemy in front of several yellow and blue panel(s)

- Run along these panels and reach the spring at the end. You'll come to an upper area (you can light-dash here if you choose), which requires that you briskly run to the end. (I may have got the previous spring and this mixed up, but I recall) There is a hand-pulley here which you can home attack. It leads you to an enemy and QTE spring, which you can home-attack respectively

- The two QTEs are also instant-death, by the way

- You'll come out onto a small path, adorned with dash-panels, which leads to yet another yellow QTE ramp. This (x5) QTE is another instant-death-for-failure instance, so pause and read if necessary

- You'll come into a falling section, similar to that of Spagonia's tower, which is full of lasers and pink-spinny-things. Take it slowly here, and be sure to take into account the looser physics. Also note that unlike Spagonia, you are required to land in the center here, rather than being instantly realigned

- Land on the dash panels and follow them straight ahead. There are two possible paths here: Left and Right. Left is much harder and riskier, so I recommend the Right-hand path

- Move to the right and boost + jump into the wall. Time your jumps, and home attack past the pink-spinny-things here to reach the top. Jump between the two platforms, and head into the pipe on the left

- This pipe is full of pink-spinny-things, so you can either take it slowly, or just boost and use the invulnerability period to move without restriction (like I do!). If you want to be rather fancy, you can memorize the ring placement, and perform a series of light-dashes instead

- Either way, at the end of the pipe is an hourglass. Attack it to turn into the Werehog

Werehog #3: One frustrating platforming segment, some skippable fights, lots of pipes, and three easy Titans

- Head straight ahead and pull the switch to enter the next pipe segment. Note that the fans in the Werehog pipes cause no damage, but merely slow the player down

- At the end of this pipe is a circular room. Drop down and run to the left. The pink wall on the front left houses the switch that will open the next door. Break the wall quickly and pull the switch before any enemies think to attack you, then dash through the newly opened door, into the pipe

- Follow this pipe into a room with a floor-fan and several flying enemies (two of which are electrified). Note that this floor-fan does indeed deal damage

- Kill all the enemies in this room through aerial punches (I recommend downing two at a time), and when all are on the floor, grab a wall-based handhold before the door-opening cutscene begins (If you don't, there is a chance that when the cutscene ends, you'll be dealt some damage by the fan)

- Grab a handhold either side of the newly opened room, and swing off it, then jump to enter it. Pull the switch, and enter the newly opened yellow pipe

- Follow this pipe to the end and jump(!!) to land on the platform ahead. If you fear you aren't going to make it, know that the platform has edges that can be grabbed

- The two poles ahead are retracting poles, so be careful not to grab them instantly. Wait until they've gone in and out again before making your move. Continue straight ahead and grab the flying enemy before landing on the large platform below (marked, not by the bad camera, but by one of the wall-based window-esque circles

- Jump off of here and swing along the poles to the left to land on the wall-planted cog. Since it's hard to see whether or not you're going to land on it, I again recommend delaying your double jump until the camera has moved enough for you to see

- Follow this cog around very slowly (It's incredibly easy to fall off here), and reach the other-side for two flying enemies to appear. Avoid the pink one's projectile (this part I find incredibly frustrating) and grab it

- Swing from the pink one to the blue one, and grab the wall handhold. This handhold is a crumbling one, so be quick to swing to the left from it

- Finally, land on the ledge to the left. Congratulations, you've effectively finished everything dangerous in Eggmanland!

- Enter the last pipe, and follow it into another arena. Like in the prior pink-wall room, there is a switch to open the door, but unlike in that room, the camera obscures it. Head to the very left to find this wall. Break it, pull the switch quickly, and enter the next room

- Finally, pull the switch on the left, and break the boxes on the right to receive a full Unleashed gauge, and temporary half-damage

- Kill the Titan in the room (nothing else matters) by unleashing yourself, and enter the next corridor. I recommend waiting for your unleashed gauge to deplete completely before continuing

- Pull the next switch and break the boxes on the right again to receive a full unleashed gauge and double strength power-up

- Enter the next room, unleash yourself, and kill both Titans. Avoid their jump attack, as it's devastating, and when they're both dead, the level is yours!

Rinse and repeat three times for the hardest trophy this game has to offer.

Mods: The reason this is in three parts isn't to farm posts, it's because the post clocked in at about 22000 characters, and the limit is 10000.

Edited by squared64
To clarify why this post is in three parts, rather than one

• 2 years later...