XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
duck360

Send a message via MSN to duck360

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth - Gold   Community Gaming Event Silver   Silver Road Map Submitter   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loscil View Post
I love the geekyness in this thread!
I'll take that as a compliment I'm a hardcore gamer what did you expect? I play games since the day I was born... my mom told me I was born with a Nintendo controller

Like me in Facebook
What makes a great Trophy Hunter? 1- Having good amount of . 2- Not all of your are easy ones and must have lots of 9-10 difficutly . 3- Having 90%+ completion. 4- You enjoy collecting them.
duck360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #12
Double Rainbow

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck360 View Post
I'll take that as a compliment I'm a hardcore gamer what did you expect? I play games since the day I was born... my mom told me I was born with a Nintendo controller
C'est la vie! Geeky is in, nerdy is out!

Playfire Trophy Card
Double Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
Phodda

Awards Showcase PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Community Gaming Event Silver   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

But let's not forget: in a comic book that came with the first Sonic 1, it was explained that, in first, Dr. Robotnik was a good doctor called "Ovi Kintobor", with a hedgehog as a puppie.

Then, something went very bad in his experiments, and then he was turned into the mastermind of evil, Dr. Robotnik, and started creating robots from the animals he captured. But, what makes things worse, also makes things better. Sonic, the lightspeeding hedgehog was also created, and swore to stop the evil schemes of Robotnik.

As far as I can remember, of course.
Phodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
King_Ubu

Awards Showcase Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drac Mazoku View Post
You said he stopped calling himself Robotknik after Sonic Adventure (well number 2 in particular, since the name Robotnik had more importance in this)....but didnt he called himself Robotnik too in *shake in fear of all the repressed memories* Sonic the Hedgehog '06??? They were trying "so much" to be serious, I have hard time remembering him calling himself Eggman (well I admit I try my best forgetting everything about this game, but still...)
I can't honestly remember every single line in Sonic history.

I don't remember Robotnik being mentioned in Sonic 06, but if it was mentioned I doubt very much it was intentional, given how rushed that game was, especially when it came to story and dialogue (in one case, theres a line of dialogue and you can actually hear someone walk into the sound studio and say something like "One more time please" and the voice actor then says the line again!)

But the concensus seems to be, that at some point during Sonic Adventure 1, Western Robotnik officially had the name change to Eggman, whilst it started as a mocking nickname (well for the western market) he quickly takes it as his own name.

I think though, that the only time you'll hear the name Robotnik now is when Sega produce the classic merchandise that's been popular lately, and then it'll only be for the western market. There is a small chance that "Robotnik" might appear in the new game "Sonic Generations" but if he'll be called "Robotnik" that remains to be seen.

Side Note: Robotnik was a word that was first used during the publication of a Russian book named "Robotnik" literally translated it means worker... however... the significance of this book... it was about mechanicalising the modern workforce so they would be more efficient at their jobs... or... turning people into robots in order to make them work harder for longer.

And people think that Sega are lazy when making up names.

Quote:
Dr. Robotnik was a good doctor called "Ovi Kintobor", with a hedgehog as a puppie.

Then, something went very bad in his experiments, and then he was turned into the mastermind of evil, Dr. Robotnik, and started creating robots from the animals he captured. But, what makes things worse, also makes things better. Sonic, the lightspeeding hedgehog was also created, and swore to stop the evil schemes of Robotnik
lol yeah, now it gets even more complicated... when dealing with the cartoons and Archie comics... that version of Robotnik is completely wrong.

However, the Fleetway comic book is slightly more accurate... but not for the reasons people think.

Shortly AFTER Sonic 1 came out (remember, Eggman is being used in Japan and robotnik is being used in the west) But BEFORE fleetways Sonic the comic came out and any other media. Sega of America comissioned a comic which is the good old Kintobor origin story... then they gave the comic to fleetway and told them to base their comic off that, which is why issue 1 is almost a word for word, picture for picture copy of it...

However... Japan also had it's version of an origins comic, and it came out at almost the same time as the America publication...

There lies the problem...

"Which is official? As both are official.

But whats quite awesome is that this Japanese comic has the following line

Badnik: **** Off Sonic!

Sonic: *Spin attacks the badnik* **** OFF YOURSELF!

Only... their version isn't censored... and yes it's official.

Friend requests will not be deleted if you say why you are adding me.

Last edited by King_Ubu; 04-08-2011 at 04:12 PM.
King_Ubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
Gurgelbart

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Ubu View Post
Well... after Sonic adventure, any trace of Robotnik was removed from the games, he's now known as Eggman and even calls himself Eggman.

However... he is the same guy.

The character design has changed, but the Robotnik is Eggman, and modern day Eggman is Robotnik.
Kind of philosophic I think
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
Drac Mazoku

Sonic debate can be so....complicated
Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
Tonberry Feye

Awards Showcase Bronze Submission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phodda View Post
But let's not forget: in a comic book that came with the first Sonic 1, it was explained that, in first, Dr. Robotnik was a good doctor called "Ovi Kintobor", with a hedgehog as a puppie.

Then, something went very bad in his experiments, and then he was turned into the mastermind of evil, Dr. Robotnik, and started creating robots from the animals he captured. But, what makes things worse, also makes things better. Sonic, the lightspeeding hedgehog was also created, and swore to stop the evil schemes of Robotnik.

As far as I can remember, of course.
I can remember this quite clearly;

Ovi Kintobor met a BROWN hedgehog called Sonic. Sonic was fast, very fast, and Kintobor invented Super Sneakers that made him even faster. The result was that Sonic broke the sound barrier, blew up the testing machine, and magically turned into the cool-blue character we now know.

In an unrelated incident, Sonic and Kintobor decided to have lunch, finding only a single rotten egg in the fridge. Kintobor carried the egg to his lab, where he tripped on a cable and crashed into a computer terminal. Once again, weird explosions took place, and Ivo Robotnik was born.

I loved Sonic The Comic. I miss it so much!

It seems I have a game that doesn't exist according to YourGamerCards... .
Tonberry Feye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
vikebone

Send a message via AIM to vikebone

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Silver   1,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

Thanks for all of the good info. I had an SNES growing up and never owned a Genesis, so I always wondered too why he was first called Dr. Robotnik and then later he was called Eggman. This thread now cleared it up.

My Favorite Platinums:
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ghostbusters: The Video Game, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Fallout 3, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Enslaved: Odyssey To The West, Heavy Rain, InFamous, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, Assassin's Creed II, Uncharted: Golden Abyss

vikebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #19
Tetsaru

Send a message via AIM to Tetsaru Send a message via MSN to Tetsaru Send a message via Yahoo to Tetsaru Send a message via Skype™ to Tetsaru

As other people said, I'm pretty sure the whole Dr. Robotnik/Dr. Eggman thing is just a matter of what he was called in the US and in Japan. Kinda like how Princess Toadstool later became Princess Peach once Super Mario 64 came out.

Some other interesting little-known facts:

- Dr. Robotnik's original character design was based off of Theodore Roosevelt combined with an egg shape.

- The purple "water" in Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone is known as "Mega Mack." In the Fleetway Editions comics, it was a chemical designed by Robotnik and another scientist named Megatox (who later became consumed by it and turned into a monster) to poison Sonic. It also appears in the Scrap Brain Zone - Act 2 stage in Sonic 1, and in some of the "bad future" stages in Sonic CD.

Personally, I wasn't aware of the Fleetway comics... I always thought "Sonic comics" referred to the Archie ones that I grew up with. It's always difficult trying to figure out what's considered canon and what isn't... @_@

Last edited by Tetsaru; 06-13-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Tetsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
King_Ubu

Awards Showcase Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsaru View Post
Actually he's not.

There has been no official confirmation or anything to suggest he is based on Theodore Roosevelt. Whilst there is a resemblence, it's just that, a resemblance. The wikipedia page for Sonic characters tends to be completely made up in most cases, you're much better off looking at Sonic Retro for Sonic based sources.

Friend requests will not be deleted if you say why you are adding me.
King_Ubu is offline   Reply With Quote