Columns Tip (Pretty Big Help)

I found that the Columns and Mean Bean Machine were the hardest trophies to get. While I don't have much to help for Mean Bean Machine, I do have a big tip for Columns. If you didn't know, if you get that speacial gem (the flashing colours ones that elimantes all of one colour on the board) to touch the bottom of the board, you'll get an automatic 10 000 points. I did it and got 20 000 the 2nd time I used that strategy. Hope it helps other people! :)

Also on columns you can pause the game and it will still show the game letting you have time to think about where to place the gems. In MBM you have to use the PS button and it will work in the same way. Also in both, if you strategically place the pieces so that you will have combos, this will allow you to win much faster.

I used to play this one alot, one big tip is to get combos all the time, either by more then one row at ones (same or diff colors) or falling into more combos. Another thing to note for anyone with difficulties with this game is that you can line up multiple ways at once. For instance, say you have 2 blues a space and 2 more blues beside it and you get a 3 blue gem, drop it in the empty space and all of those blues are gone for a bigger score then just having 3.

I thought 20k points for a silver was way too low, should have made a gold trophy for 100 or 200k points :D

Edited by Jaytime

I found that the Columns and Mean Bean Machine were the hardest trophies to get. While I don't have much to help for Mean Bean Machine, I do have a big tip for Columns. If you didn't know, if you get that speacial gem (the flashing colours ones that elimantes all of one colour on the board) to touch the bottom of the board, you'll get an automatic 10 000 points. I did it and got 20 000 the 2nd time I used that strategy. Hope it helps other people! :)

Columns was never a problem for me. I played the game on the Genesis back in the day and it wasn't uncommon for me to rack up points in the millions, so the 20K was nothing to achieve. Brag post obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! For some reason, I had no problems with Mean Bean Machine, but Columns was a pain. This tip, as well as frequent pauses/saves/reloads, helped get this trophy, along with the platinum! :)

Thanks for the tip.

I used to play this one alot, one big tip is to get combos all the time, either by more then one row at ones (same or diff colors) or falling into more combos. Another thing to note for anyone with difficulties with this game is that you can line up multiple ways at once. For instance, say you have 2 blues a space and 2 more blues beside it and you get a 3 blue gem, drop it in the empty space and all of those blues are gone for a bigger score then just having 3.

I thought 20k points for a silver was way too low, should have made a gold trophy for 100 or 200k points :D

Exept that it's not even a silver, it's a measly BRONZE! I can't get more than 6000 points in this stupid game, let alone 20K.

Quick question... I know we set the game to easy in the options but then is this supposed to be done on arcade or on the single player mode through the menu option...? If you go the single player game mode through menu it offers you novice level of play. not sure if that is right?

EDIT: nvm...i did it through t menu option and not arcade and it unlocked....not sure if thats how every one else was doing it but on arcade it was near impossible and this way was really easy.

Edited by Lamplitersniper

Quick question... I know we set the game to easy in the options but then is this supposed to be done on arcade or on the single player mode through the menu option...? If you go the single player game mode through menu it offers you novice level of play. not sure if that is right?

EDIT: nvm...i did it through t menu option and not arcade and it unlocked....not sure if thats how every one else was doing it but on arcade it was near impossible and this way was really easy.

You can only do it the way you did it if you own the American version of the game (Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection). Those with the EU (SEGA MEGA) have to do it through Arcade. I haven't attempted this yet but I beat Yatta! fairly easily so hopefully this shouldn't pose too many problems.

EDIT: Hmmm, I think I'm wrong. All this time I hadn't noticed the menu option.

Edited by UltimateKing21

• 3 weeks later...
It was a bronze trophy for 20,000 points, not silver. It should have been a silver though, and they should have brought down some of the golds to silvers too.

Agreed. The worst offender was the one where you had to collect 100 rings as tails. As I was booting it up, I was wondering how far into the game I'd have to play to reach the intended zone... 2 or 3 zones? I was astounded when it was the first level. 3 or so minutes later and I had it.

I think some of the later golden axe ones had golds too; were also very easy.

That said, I'm not a fan of games that give lots of silvers and no gold (midnight club : la is a good example)

A Different Tail should have been Bronze... I can do that in my sleep, and it still isn't hard for people who haven't played the game before. Just make sure to fly around the level looking for rings and don't hit any of the spikes or enemies that are around the stage.

I cheated for that one in a way, I knew where some ring boxes were, found them and a femw rings and flew the rest of the way.Golden axe gave some really easy trophies which I wasn't fond of.

Columns I had trouble with at first but then it got fun and I had about 70k before I died.

• 4 years later...

OP Thanks for the tip i'll try cause these 2 aret he last trophies I need to plat (not counting No Life, view al the artwork, load every game BLAST PROCESSING cuz they are simple just a waste of time but) damn i never played columns years ago never til i got this and i just don get it i mean i lvoed dr mario for nes and tetris is even ok but hell i got this for an ez plat and Saw and Saw is frustrating a bit but i think ill get it but next games im buying for ez plat is back to the future cuz i luv the movies as a kid and also the walking dead (never watched) i know bttf is ez as shit sounds the walking dead is too right?

what is easiest plat in psn store for under 19 bcks im thinking counter-strike global conition maybe give a shot ah i wanna get a seaon pass again for ghosts had one for blops2 i just hate the mp and i need a few trophies on extinction for plat and its total joke luck crap OMG RAGE RAGE LOL

but BACK ON TOPIC

DR ROBOTNIKS mean machine omg i beat level 1 an said boring im using a passwod but even hitting PSN menu doesn't really help.. i'll try using save states if i ever get ahead but seems to be impossible but that collumbs tip the thing hitting the bottom is HUGE thanks sir!!

thanks in advance if anyone reads this and gives a reply i didnt mean to hijack or go off topic but i coudlnt resist a bit

You can only do it the way you did it if you own the American version of the game (Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection). Those with the EU (SEGA MEGA) have to do it through Arcade. I haven't attempted this yet but I beat Yatta! fairly easily so hopefully this shouldn't pose too many problems.

EDIT: Hmmm, I think I'm wrong. All this time I hadn't noticed the menu option.

YES just got easy as pie and master the system I put it on easy in options and instead of playing arcade I played the normal game and put it on easiest mode and it took a good bit an I had to pause and I even saved states, ddnt get any of the special gems (maybe only in arcade mode), but if you got the US version this works I can confirm it and is easier than playing in arcade mode in my opinion I'm 28 a big time gamer since NES, SNES, n64, sega, 32x, gamegear, game.com, PSP, ps2, ps3, I CANT WAIT TO GET a PS4!

• 2 years later...

Good tip. This combined with pausing between segments I was able to get the score within my first attempt. :dance:

• 1 year later...
Columns was never a problem for me. I played the game on the Genesis back in the day and it wasn't uncommon for me to rack up points in the millions, so the 20K was nothing to achieve. Brag post obviously.

Also here for the humble brag. Thought this trophy was pretty easy. I got like 164k on my 2nd try. :cool: