Favorite Games In The Collection

Anybody have these games on an actuall Genesis?

I very much do.. but I'm a bit older than some of the guys on here I'm sure. It's nice to have a way to play these games aside from my yearly hook up of my old school systems.

what are peoples favorite games from this collection?

i love the big time classics like Altered Beast and Golden Axe(s).

Another favorite is Space Harrier and i wish they would release a 2012 hd ps3 version of it. It's great controls and over all design but it's a bit wonky on the old school systems.

I think Comix Zone is one of the coolest games/ideas for a game ever and think this game is terribly underrated.

I love the Sonic the Hedgehog games, as everyone does I guess. I had them back in the day and they still play great - colourful graphics, great controls, they're just cool games. My favourites were actually two new games that I'd never played (or even head of) before though - Gain Ground and Dynamite Headdy. These two games were terrific and I completed both despite the fact there weren't any trophies for either of them. I agree that Comix Zone is also really good and underrated. The Streets of Rage games, Flicky, Columns, Vectorman and the Ecco games also deserve a mention. It really is a great collection, it's mostly quality and I still bust it out every now and then.

I gotta say as well, I had Altered Beast back in the day and didn't like it then, now it's even worse though. The gameplay is so slow and morose, and the hit detection is awful. Other bad games include Super Thunder Blade, which makes me feel sick and Alex Kidd in Enchanted Catle, which is complete garbage compared to Alex Kidd in Miracle World, which I loved to death back in the day. The Swat game was pretty shit too.

Edited by McGarnigle

• 5 months later...

I can say easily that my favorite game in this collection is Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine. I love this game (and actually still own the cartridge) and when I was a kid my mother couldn't afford to buy me games so she bought me this game and at one point this was the only game I had for an entire year.

I wish they would release this game by itsself with online MP, I would totally OWN in this game

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned the cartridges for some of these games since I was a kid 20 years ago.

Sonic 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, Spinball. Comix Zone, Ecco 1 & 2, Vectorman 1 & 2.

I remember playing, through rentals at Blockbuster, Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and the Streets of Rage games. I became a fan of Space Harrier after playing it in Shenmue.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to love a lot of these games back in the day, but they have not held up well at all. Some are downright terrible. Dynamite Headdy however, is spectacular. It's a shame there is no trophy related to this game because nobody played back when it first came out and it's a real gem. I'd love a remake of it in HD.

• 1 month later...
I would have liked it if they put in NBA Jam, Disney's Aladdin, Ms Pac Man, Mortal Kombat 1-3, Earthworm Jim and take out ESWAT, Sonic 3D Blast, Flicky and Super Thunder Blade.

None of those games mentioned are feasible due to licensing issues (We're talking Midway, Disney, Namco here). I do agree that the games you mentioned in the collection (minus Flicky, which I find charming) should be taken out though. They could have probably given us Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (the epic game you got when combining both carts on the Genesis) instead of including those games.

I don't understand how Gunstar Heroes is so often cited as the best thing on the Genesis yet the lone game from Treasure is Dynamite Headdy (which is still a solid game, nevertheless).

But as far as my favorite games are concerned:

Phantasy Star IV

Shinobi III

Shining Force & Shining Force II

Sonic the Hedgehog & Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Streets of Rage 2

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I still have my Genesis, though haven't hooked it up in a few years. The games on the collection that I still have are Alien Storm and Altered Beast, neither of which I liked even back then.

I bought this collection in part in consideration of my past self who would've flipped out to imagine getting all these games for $15. Back then I didn't live anywhere near any game stores so couldn't buy used and at full retail prices could only get perhaps 2 new games a year. I think my whole Genesis collection in the end added up to just 6 or 7 games.

Favorite game on the collection: Phantasy Star II. I played through most of the first Phantasy Star on a borrowed copy as a kid, and loved it, but never got to finish it. So I beat that and the sequel, which was fantastic. I'll probably play III and IV eventually as well.

Favorite game not on the collection: Toejam and Earl.

I wish the game included scans of the manuals as well. Nowadays manuals are useless as all necessary information is given in game, but back then the manuals were important.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...