button lag

bloodvayne

i never encountered a problem with either game. but if you have the original games like i do you wont have any problems at all unless somethings wrong with the cartridge.

Yep, I still have the originals too. I remember running thru chemical zone sooo fast. It's just not happening on this version. I even failed on the second special stage cause of the controls! I haven't failed at the second special stage in decades... well ok, 19 years xD

I've only noticed lag issues on the online multiplayer, but I mean, come on, what do you expect from a simple port? It's pretty much the same game being run on an emulator.

also, the reason for the lag on the online multiplayer is because the game favors whoever the host is and the second player has lag because the game sends all of their button presses into the host's connection.

me and a friend tested this out, when I hosted, he had lag, and when he hosted, I had lag. so our conclusion is this: if yur the 2nd player the game sends yur button presses into the first players game connection, causing lag in yur movements and whatnot. the reason for this is because this game is just a port of the cartridge being run on an emulator, and since the vs. was local on the SEGA (they didn't have online gaming then) the game has to find a way to compensate for that, and so it makes the game feel "local" by putting all the framerate on one connection.

Yur basically playing off the host's connection. that's our guess at least, why else would the lag only happen to the the player who isn't hosting?

Edited by oversoul53

I haven't played the mutliplayer yet, I was just taking a quick try at the singleplayer and noticed it in the first level

controls are smooth in the original cartridge I have, hell even in the GC version that I have. But this one it's just awful

Multiplayer isn't particularly worse than I remember back in the day - it always used to lag like a bitch when somebody got hit and lost rings, especially on the Mystic Cave Zone I believe. The problem with Tails' jumps not registering straight away when playing online is obviously new...

Singleplayer seems OK to me as well, although obviously you'd hope they'd address existing issues ;)

Ah well, can't expect an awful lot more from a simple emulation port job by a contracted studio I guess.

Edited by amplifiedAnt

Yep, I still have the originals too. I remember running thru chemical zone sooo fast. It's just not happening on this version. I even failed on the second special stage cause of the controls! I haven't failed at the second special stage in decades... well ok, 19 years xD

Okay so I'm not crazy then? I remembered doing much better at the special stages when I was like 6. I thought to myself, was it always this laggy. Glad to know I dont suck eggs and got worse. I had to replay the later ones so many times because of how akward the response time in the controls were.

• 6 years later...
I've got no idea what you guys are talking about, the button inputs feel fine from what I'm playing.

Nope, this game has very noticeable input lag just like the first release. Go play the original cartridge versions and then come back to these lazy ports. I'd bet you'd notice a difference then.