Only downside to this game?

megasean3000

The gameplay's too fast-paced for my tastes. I come from turn-based RPGs, and puzzle games, so I like my games to have a nice steady rhythm, not too slow, but nice and mellow so you can take your time and enjoy it. Sonic Generations, however, is all "Run! Jump here at the right millisecond! Take the second exit! Don't go right! Hurry up! You only have a minute to complete the course!!" I'm often left dazed afterwards, or have to go back to get any missing stars or S-Class ranks. That's why I always go slow when finding the stars, because I always miss them on my first play-through of the level, unless it's impossible to miss it. Your opinions?

Sonics always been fast paced

Not true. Sonic's only been insanely fast paced in modern (bad) games. In the original (good) games, you could actually take your time, look around, and do platforming without needing springs, speed pads, and grind rails EVERYWHERE to automatically guide you through the level because it moves too fast for you to do it yourself.

Not true. Sonic's only been insanely fast paced in modern (bad) games. In the original (good) games, you could actually take your time, look around, and do platforming without needing springs, speed pads, and grind rails EVERYWHERE to automatically guide you through the level because it moves too fast for you to do it yourself.

But, to be honest, I liked the insanely fast-paced gameplay of Sonic Generations. Specially in Classic stages. I think it's an improvement.

And, btw, the modern games aren't that bad. Ok, Sonic and the Black Knights sucks as hell, and Sonic The Hedgehog is like taking a shot in the head, but newest games (like this one and Sonic 4 - ok, Sonic 4 isn't that good), have brought again the Sonic game standard...

I thought this game was a near perfect combination of the old and the new. My only downside is that Super Sonic is pretty much worthless. Modern Super Sonic eats all your rings if you boost, and the Act 1 levels don't have enough rings to support Super Sonic like the classic games did, so it's hard to maintain the super form.

And, btw, the modern games aren't that bad. Ok, Sonic and the Black Knights sucks as hell, and Sonic The Hedgehog is like taking a shot in the head, but newest games (like this one and Sonic 4 - ok, Sonic 4 isn't that good), have brought again the Sonic game standard...

:rofl:

The modern games are good! ....except Black Knights...and Sonic the Hedgehog ... and Sonic 4 ....

So, you're basically saying Generations is good... :whistle:

Edited by Gyrfalcon09

The modern games are good! ....except Black Knights...and Sonic the Hedgehog ... and Sonic 4 ....

Yes, I know, I know... Please, don't crucify me...

I was talking about sonic games with a friend of mine, who's also a great sonic fan. We were making comparisons about game series, like Sonic, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy and alike.

He played SG a little, and liked it. In his oppinion, Sonic games were taking the same route as Resident Evil games: losing its core gameplay in favor of mass audiences (and even that, Sonic games were sucking). Sonic Generations is, like, a return to its origins, giving back players the feeling they urged to feel after so many failures.

So, yes, Sonic Generations is a great game, like we didn't see in many years. The rest is just the rest.

Personally I really enjoyed Sonic Rivals on PSP And there was supposed to be a pretty good Sonic game on wii.

Of course when it comes to PS3 generations is the best one yet... Well only good Sonic game.

Though I don't like the "modern" 3D Sonic levels. I feel they're too fast and that most of the time I don't actually have any control of Sonic. I'm just being thrown around hitting jump at the right time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the only Sonic game that I've ever bought, save from the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 that came with my Sega Genesis.. And trust me when I say I almost melted the cartridge from playing that game so much!

I bought this one mostly because of the Act 1/Classic Sonic but after playing the Act 2/Modern Sonic, I thought it was quite well done. YES the levels are fast paced but you only need to play them that fast for S rank, or in my case.. For fun.

For those that complain about the speed? It's called Sonic the Hedgehog, not Slug the Hedgehog..

For those that complain about the controls.. In Classic I found that the jump button was a bit sensitive, but it stayed true for about 85% compared to how it was on Sega Genesis. With Modern Sonic, I found that the only controls I had issues with was the "drifting" when sonic was in spin mode and in the go-kart.. Other than that, you just have to get used to it and go through the levels a few times.. Doppelgänger Challenges really helped me to get the speed down and memorize the path to take quickly!

For me, yeah the games not AMAZING, but it reminded me of when I played Sonic 2 so many years ago.. That's what it's all about for me, even if the haters want to say call me a trophy wh*** for having this game on my list.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Only downside for me (and it's a pretty big downside) is that the game is actually fucking shite.

I get pure rage with it. So annoying. Controls are sooooo bad. I won't plat this one cos i'm scared to play it incase i throw my joypad through the TV screen.

I fucking hate it with a passion. :mad:

Nothing wrong with the controls. Its your lack of skill that's the problem.

In response to the thread: As another poster said, the only downside with this game imo is the rate at which super sonic depletes his rings in modern stages...

SEGA should patch this and make it on par with the end boss' depletion rate. Super Sonic is worthless as it is...

Well, maybe not worthless. It does add another challenge to the game though... See if you can beat the stage from start to finnish as super sonic...

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing wrong with the controls. Its your lack of skill that's the problem.

In response to the thread: As another poster said, the only downside with this game imo is the rate at which super sonic depletes his rings in modern stages...

SEGA should patch this and make it on par with the end boss' depletion rate. Super Sonic is worthless as it is...

Well, maybe not worthless. It does add another challenge to the game though... See if you can beat the stage from start to finnish as super sonic...

No don't correct yourself, you were right, Super Sonic both modern and classic are worthless in this game compared to the awesome Super Sonic in Colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it's a bit too fast. Biggest problem for me however isn't the speed, but the low framerate. I think a fast game like this should run at a rocksteady, smooth, 60 FPS. But it seems to run at 30 FPS or less... which makes me pretty motionsick most of the time.

Anyway, I'm still having fun after a few minutes getting used to it.

• 4 months later...

You guys, Sonic games are awesome because they are as challenging as YOU MAKE them (except for bad Sonic games - they're just bad). There's nothing stopping you from taking your sweet time through each stage. But spend a little time learning the intricacies of controlling sonic and memorizing some stage layouts, and you'll blast through the stage in style. That's what I've always loved about (great) Sonic games.