"Sonic is Going the Route of Resident Evil & Just Needs to Die Already" says Yahtzee

oversoul53

I don't recall him saying it needs to die in this review (he certainly did in his Unleashed review though). But yeah, I thought the comparison to Resident Evil was quite interesting.

As for my own thoughts on the game: played the demo on 360 and PC. Didn't like it. Classic Sonic isn't really classic Sonic. It's still way too fast like modern 2D Sonic. As for the 3D level, it's also too fast, but otherwise doesn't seem so bad. Of course, it's only the first level. City Escape didn't seem so bad in Sonic Adventure 2, but when you get further into that game, whoo boy do those later stages suck the fat ass.

In short, not the game for me, and for the record I made that decision long before this episode of ZP aired, so anyone who wants to accuse me of not wanting it because of Yahtzee can pucker up: :ass: But as for the review, very good. Made me laugh. Especially the bits about the Sonic 06 level. I was equally dumbfounded when I read news headlines saying they were putting a level from that game in Generations.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed the game... well, at least the "classic" part.

I think that after 10 years trying, Sonic Team should realize that Sonic doesn't work in 3D.

There was a time during the 32/64 bits era that every franchise should made the jump from 2D to 3D in order to sell games. Mario did it quite well, Sonic haven't. But today that's no longer necessary, a game might sell well regardless if it's 2D or 3D... (I might be wrong on that... has Rayman Origins sold well?)

My point is: Sonic, give up on that 3D thingie already.

Generations was good, I did my usual, 'ZOMG new sonic game' thing and let the hype do a number on me! I pre-ordered the collectors edition on day 1 :p I definitely enjoyed playing it, in fact I probably uttered things like 'bezt ghem evar' etc but the fact is, new sonic games have minimal replay value. I almost cringe when I think about playing it again:eek: (that could be because I left it at 97% after getting bored trying to get the 'can't touch this' trophy) Tbh I put more time into Sonic CD even though I got 100% on the first day! haha

I loved most of this game including the 3d levels. Playing sky sanctuary in 3d blew my fucking mind. I was lost after the perfect chaos boss as ive never played any of the games with the featured three levels after him. Still loved it all! but I would LOVE to see actual remakes of the older sonic games in the 3d mode. Mystic cave zone would be amazing! or Sandopolis zone! every level from Sega genesis and Sonic CD would make amazingly nostalgic levels!