spoonman

I really like Sonic CD and in fact bought a Sega-CD back in the day just for this game, but the bonus stages over the years in Sonic games feels like a steady decline in fun with a dead stop at Sonic-CD.

The whole thing feels like a failed attempt at a Sonic 3D Tech demo and is as frustrating as it is choppy. The controls are laggy and imprecise.

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Maybe it's because I loved Sonic 1's rotating bonus, which at the time was something incredible for the Genesis. The music was beautiful and it felt like a relaxing interlude between the fast loop de loops, etc....

Sonic-CD's bOnus level feels like the opposite.

Also, I saw above that the Sonic-CD codes supposedly work, but I can't seem to get them to do anything following the Gamefaqs info.

I was trying from the title screen and substituting [ ], X, O for the Genesis pad's A, B, C. Is this correct? I'd like to practice the bonus screens and see if I can get past this hatred! ;)

Can't say I was having problems with bonus stages, but then again I've used a restart trick a couple of times, so I'm not entirely legit =)

On topic though, I kinda liked those bonus stages, sure controls are a bit stiff, but nowhere near bad.

Afaik, you can train in time attack mode if you've completed the game. You can select bonus stages there.

The graphics are certainly a lot smoother than they were on the MegaCD. But it somehow does feel that this version is a lot harder. I mean Stage 5 was always pretty tricky to time attack quickly, but now the level is super hard. Thank god for the restart level trick.

When you run low on time a timeup UFO appears. Did that happen in the MegaCD version? I never saw that before, maybe because I found these levels so much easier back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
I beat the first four and then gave up.

I ain;t played for few months and I'm missing a few trophies including the time stones, time trial, and destroying all the crap ain't even trie that one yet but thought I'd try to clear a few of these up and wow yeah this 5th special stage is brutal... ah last one I paused on 0 seconds left right before it saved thank god, trying to get all the time stones on the first stages as this gold shouldn't be too bad but damn these final ones are pretty tough.

Real off topic but I don't have any COD plat and I need 1 trophy on extinction for Ghosts someone please help me lol...

DAMN WISH you coul save states on this game lol

edit yes I got the 5th one after a number of tries... aint missed on yet starting Tidal Temptest wish me luck or I hope I don't mess up let timer hit 0 this should be an easier gold trophy than the silver one for destroying all the crap in the past I've searched an ain't found crap and I'm a long time player of Sonic games, console wises I own a couple on Game Gear and Sonic 2 an 3 but now I own them all thanks to PSN and the HD remake :)

Edited by g0d of g0t

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I remember trying these in the past being frustrated, but as it turns out they're not too bad. 1-4 were pretty easy, 5 was the biggest pain, but oddly enough, I beat the 6th Time Stone bonus stage on my first try, the 7th one was tricky as well, but by then my skill had improved enough where I did it after 5 attempts or so.

The best advice for anyone struggling is to use the air vent that makes Sonic spin in the air, it really helps with hitting the UFOs.

The one thing that confuses me is the context, what are UFOs doing holding onto the Time Stones? Does this mean there are aliens on Little Planet? Why can't we see them, and why are we hurting them? Why are the background crazy psychedelic-like? 1990s was a very strange time for game creation.