Rate the trophy difficulty  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the trophy difficulty

• 1 - Very Easy
    • 10 - Very Hard

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/diff_gold_6.png

Collected Trophy Difficulty Rating: 5.94

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
    Examples;
    • Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
    • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

[*]Vote with honesty and integrity.

Edited by olsen77

Only some give-aways and even for a Sonic CD "veteran" the time trials are very tricky. I threw my controller.

Compared to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 PSN, this is a little more intricate. Please note that despite whatever anyone says, less than around 6% have the "time trial" trophies in those according to YGC. Simply because there is not much help a guide can really give for those besides "go fast", people just don't do shit and leave it incomplete. Yep, nothing to hold their hand, so they just won't do it. Pathetic, don't you think? I expect Sonic CD to be similar.

So far less than 4% even have a few of the mid-tier trophies in Sonic CD, the harder ones around 1%. Of course that'll change but you get my point, if they were quick give-aways then that percent would be much different.

7.5/10

Edited by yuggy

So far less than 4% even have a few of the mid-tier trophies in Sonic CD, the harder ones around 1%.

Approx. 24 hours after the game was released to the store? No sh*t! It's not a matter of ability yet, more a case of who's actually had the time available to them in order to complete everything. Not everybody rushes to get every trophy.

I'll no doubt go for 100% in this game but at this stage have only played it for 30 mins. I'm one of those people bumping up the number of incomplete trophy sets. If you've had the time to play this to death already then good for you, but most aren't in the same boat. Rating it based on what other people have done this soon is madness.

Approx. 24 hours after the game was released to the store? No sh*t! It's not a matter of ability yet, more a case of who's actually had the time available to them in order to complete everything. Not everybody rushes to get every trophy.

Not only that, the game is also not even out for all regions yet. That other guy just always makes posts complaining about how hard games are for him, and then cries when he sees a game get votes that say how easy it is for everyone else from what I've seen of his posting history (especially Sonic Generations where he went on with that for like, 3 pages). :rolleyes:

Anyway, since I'm in the U.S. I won't be able to buy it for a few more days, but going by the original game and all, most of these shouldn't be very difficult at all. I'll wait until I have access to the game and trophies to prove that before I vote though.

Not sure what to rate it, I've got 100%, but there were a few trophies that gave me some trouble.

Finding all the teleporters and holograms takes a while (if you don't use a level map).

The special stages are quite hard too without quitting and reloading, same goes for beating Metal Sonic without taking a hit, might have to think about this one for a while, it's not an easy list, but it's not hard either.

I'll give it a 4. The truly hard trophies were getting all time stones and destroying all robot generators and Metal Sonic holograms (and I swear that one is glitched, since I had to do it twice even though I was sure I got every single one). Some others like finding that statue in the past and reaching that goal sign on the platform higher up just require you to know how to do it.

You guys misunderstood one of the points in my post.

I meant that the PERCENTAGE for Sonic 1 and 2 PSN hovers around only 6% of all people who played it completed it.

I was simply saying I'm predicting CD will be similar, since it has time trials and then some.

I still stand by my word that this is around a 7.

Don't like to give solid concrete ratings so I'll say a 5 to 7 range depending on skill.

You guys misunderstood one of the points in my post.

I meant that the PERCENTAGE for Sonic 1 and 2 PSN hovers around only 6% of all people who played it completed it.

I was simply saying I'm predicting CD will be similar, since it has time trials and then some.

I still stand by my word that this is around a 7.

Don't like to give solid concrete ratings so I'll say a 5 to 7 range depending on skill.

Your theory is highly misguided.

First of all, Sonic 1 and 2 were free for PSN+ users which greatly increased the number of downloads, people had the option to just download that, but because they got it for free, there isn't as big a motivation to 100% it.

Sonic CD however is a pay to play game, it's therefore reasonable to conclude that if you buy this game, chances are you do so to play it and play a large portion of it.

Not to mention that you are drawing these conclusions less than 24 hours after the game was released, without even taking into consideration the fact that it's not been released worldwide yet or that people who have downloaded it might not have fully sync'd all their trophies.

5/10. Not hard, but not easy either.

Mostly, the game just frustrates. There are minor bugs in the game. Some don't effect gameplay, like delayed music when you pick up speed shoes, invincibility, or get to the end of the stage, so I don't waste any more time talking about those. Others can be a hindrance. There tend to be delays when pausing and unpausing the game, for example. This is a pain if you pause in the wrong spot. When you unpause, many times the menu disappears, but the game doesn't start moving again for another second or two. So if you paused in the middle of some kind of trap or with enemies nearby, not knowing when the game is about to start moving again can get you hurt or killed. It can be a pain if you're trying to hold onto rings so you can get to a special stage, or if you die when looking for a robot generator or hologram. Both can also screw up a time trial run. The other bug that kept getting me was being squished by things that should not squish me. I've been squished for standing next to moving blocks, even though not a single little pixel of Sonic was even touching the block. And there are other times where the opening is big enough between the block and the floor or ceiling that Sonic should now be able to easily get through, so you jump in and you get squished even though the block is moving away to make that opening even larger. This especially annoys in Time Trials; I've had many a good run ruined by this bug. Finally, I had a few instances of input delay in Wacky Workbench, mainly with those poles you roll around on in Zone 2, and those loopy things you have to jump out of. On the poles, many times I would push jump when Sonic's moving to the right, and he would ignore that until he got to the left side and then jump when I didn't want to. And sometimes he just wouldn't jump out of the loopy things when I wanted him to. Both were a pain for the time trials.

Anyway, the trophies themselves. Time Stones can be a pain in the ass due to the special stages. Those UFOs should all have "PROBLEM?" printed on them, because they troll you hardcore. You can figure out their pattern and then line yourself up for a perfect shot at one, but sometimes they still just decide to zip away at the last second regardless of their pattern. The stages aren't ultimately a huge problem though. There are 7 time stones, and 14 possibilities to enter a special stage throughout the game, so you have some leeway to fail quite a few times before you've screwed yourself out of the time stones on a playthrough. It's also a bit easier if you use the trick of quitting to the main menu before time runs out if you know you're about to fail so you can reload and get another try right away.

Then there's the robot generators and holograms. If you use a map or a video, the hard part becomes going to the past so you can go smash them. I was using

to find them. The problem I had is that this version of the game seems to be a little different in some places than the version that the video creator played, so I had to find my own ways to get to the past around the same area that he did so I could keep following along with the video. And it seems easier to lose your past sign in this version than it did in other versions I'd played before, so I ended up having quite a few trips back to the main menu to try again. Although as I said before, once you get to the past, finding the bugger with some help is pretty easy. The only stage that's likely to give you problems is Wacky Workbench because it bounces you around everywhere. It's easily the worst classic Sonic stage in existence (if you only count the actual 2d side scrolling platformers, that is).

Time trials. Like I mentioned above, a few bugs will probably get in your way. It'll also take a bit of skill (and some luck for some stages) to actually get your total time under 25 minutes. Problem stages are: Collision Chaos because you never know where all those bouncy bubbles in zones 2 and 3 are going to send you, and Robotnik may or may not successfully keep knocking you back with his bombs. Tidal Tempest because the underwater movement speed is painfully slow, so you'll want to stay above the water as much as possible. Wacky Workbench because of all the bouncing around it does; you usually have very little control over where you go, so it seems to come down to luck to determine how fast you'll get out. And finally, Metallic Madness because the levels can become extremely long if you take the wrong paths through them. Overall, again, this is nothing terribly hard, but it's not easy either.

Finally, there's beating Metal Sonic without getting it. This is just something that will likely take you a few tries. At risk of sounding like a broken record, it's really not that hard, but it's also not easy either.

I gave it a 5. Not too easy, not too hard.

The fact you can hit start and exit out to the main menu right before failing a special stage made collecting all the Time Stones really easy.

The only other trophy I had an issue with was finding all the generators which - with a youtube guide - couldn't have been simpler.

I'm seeing most people state the holograms being the most difficult part. You guys think those are more difficult than the time trials?

I think so, yes.

But it all comes down to how well can you play a Sonic game. Time trials are all about knowing the stages and having skills, holograms are all about going around the stage, using maps, figuring out where to accelerate to travel to the past, so sure it's may be more tedious than hard.

I think so, yes.

But it all comes down to how well can you play a Sonic game. Time trials are all about knowing the stages and having skills, holograms are all about going around the stage, using maps, figuring out where to accelerate to travel to the past, so sure it's may be more tedious than hard.

I tend to disagree (it's all relative of course) but with unlimited time on each stage and their position never changing, I ran through the holograms. Time trials are difficult imo because of all the varying factors. You're never going to go through any level exactly the same way twice and if you make a couple slip ups it's prolly best to restart.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted a 1. The only thing even slightly difficult is some of the later special stages. Other than that, it's all standard Sonic stuff, and just laying the game 3 times (counting the time attack thing).

The hardest part for me personally was just forcing myself to actually play the game enough times. I forgot how repetitive this one gets. But it's just more time consuming than hard overall.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...