Team Sonic done on your own

First of all, let me say that this isn't some secret method or an easy solution in achieving this trophy. It requires quite a bit of practice, strategy and understanding how the game works. The boosting method is still a lot more viable than what I'm about to suggest, but it's an option for the most dedicated people out there.

Setup:

You'll need to control 4 characters simultaneously so you might as well make it as easy as you can. What I suggest is that you find a big thin book or any other large enough platform to hold all 4 controllers. Set the controllers in the same formation as the characters appear on the screen. So the controller one goes upper left, controller four lower right etc. This makes it easier to recognize, which controller controls which character. Remember to also tape the acceleration button for each controller so only thing you need to worry about is the left stick. I think it's way easier to tape the R1 than R2 so just change the control scheme to B and you're all good. Now just set the platform holding all four controllers somewhere where you feel it's most comfortable. I just placed it on my lap as it's almost the same height I control the sticks if I'm playing normally.

Now go to Custom game and select Carrier Zone as the track. This track only has two big corners and rest is just flying or going in a straight line so it's an optimal choice. I tried Shibyua Downtown as suggested by a certain Youtube video, but it seemed way harder compared to Carrier Zone. Next, you'll want to choose as fast characters as possible. I personally used Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Shadow and Vyse, all with the speed mod.

Race:

At first, it may feel a bit overwhelming controlling all 4 characters but you'll get used to it quite fast. Especially as the track really doesn't require that much stick input. The objective for the first lap is to catch up with the leader. The game seemed to randomly select one AI character as the fastest and this is one point, which is quite annoying. Some AI characters are a lot faster, which makes it pretty impossible to do the 1 2 3 4. For example, I was really struggling to against AGES, Ralph, Pudding and Beat as they were finishing in 4.40s, which is too fast for my 3rd and 4th character.

Optimally for the first lap, you'll want to have two pairs, which are far enough from each other so you can concentrate at getting the the first two characters through the last corner shortcut just before the latter pair ends the flying section and comes to that same corner. Obviously you'll then get the latter pair through that shortcut as well or at least one of the characters as there's a boost pad, which will compensate if you fail to make the shortcut with both. The characters should be around 2nd - 6th.

The next flying section is crucial as you'll need to hit the leader with weapons as many times as possible. The AI seemed to take the same route everytime so just pay attention to how they fly and drop blowfish on their flightpath and shoot missiles etc. This will slow down their finishing time, which will make it easier for the latter pair to get ahead. This first flying section is the only place where you can get stuck while flying. Slight movements to aim for the blue circle or a little right of it is the way to go as going too much left or a sharp right can turn your characters around going the wrong way or get stuck midair.

The first corner of the track shouldn't be too much trouble even if you didn't manage to organize the characters. The main thing is to let go early enough while you're turning as it's a lot better to hit a wall than find one of your characters going the wrong way. With a bit of practice, you can place the characters going at a certain angle towards the boat section so that you'll get through with little to none movement required. I used the boat shortcut, which starts the flying section a bit earlier, only when I had two or three characters on a straight course to the next blue circle.

At this point you could have a one-two lead with the first pair while the others may be like 3rd - 5th. Again you'll want to try to hit the fastest AI a couple of times. The AI rubber banding seemed to work like that the AI was only as fast as my closest character, which was ahead. Therefore at this point when I approached again the last corner on 2nd lap, I only made sure that the one character, which was 1st would get through as cleanly as possible while the character in second I intentionally made to do the corner rather slowly. This strategy let the 1st get away while my last pair gained on the fastest AI (as the AI also slowed down due to rubber banding). After the second lap if everything or almost everything had went to plan, I would have characters as 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th.

The last lap is all about just keeping the 1st a way clear from everyone else and trying to hit the AI with your last two characters. You can get a 1 2 3 4 while approaching the first corner of the track, but you'll highly likely get taken over during the corner. The last section is just all about remembering to do the small adjustments to the 1st and 2nd to create a clear path to the last flying section and for the last pair to hit as many boost pads as possible before the boat section and maybe taking the boat shortcut with both last characters. You can also try to collect All-stars for the last two characters, which will come in handy in the last corner.

The 1st and 2nd are guaranteed to be ahead of the AI as you'll have plenty of time to get them through the last corner but the challenging part is to get the last pair ahead of AI as well. I did a lot of 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5ths due to failing in the last corner or the AI being just too close to beat it. The finishing times on my successful attempt were for 1st 4:39, 2nd 4:43, 3rd 4:48 and 4th 4:50. One good tip is that you can always just pause the game and assess the situation (in which order I need to start turning etc.)

I need to stress that I may have made it sound easy but it's really far from it. I think I must've done like ~8 hours of attempts before I finally managed to get the 1 2 3 4. Still, it is doable and anyone who can't get people to help them out with this trophy and are dedicated enough, this is a viable option to take down this frustrating trophy.

Edited by Synophis