Smash Cars Road Map and Trophy Guide

garythemunter

Another guide has been chosen as the preferred guide for this game.

This thread has been closed and is not maintained and as a result may contain outdated or incorrect information. Please follow the link below for the preferred guide.

Overview:

-Estimated trophy difficulty: 5.39/10

-Offline:

-> Core Game: 12 (8(B), 3(S), 1(G))

-> Virus Run DLC: 3 (3(B))

-Online:

-> Core Game: 0

-> Virus Run DLC: 4 (4(B))

-Approximate amount of time to 100%: 6-10 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1

-Number of missable trophies: None

-Glitched trophies: None

-Do cheat codes disable trophies?: None available

Introduction

Smash Cars is a RC Car racer with a twist, you must pull off tricks to keep your boost up so you can win events. The events will be familiar to any racing game fan: lap races, time trials etc. There are 3 different car chassis available: Monster, Buggy & Sports, each with different attributes for speed, handling etc. Each chassis has several different bodies which refine the attributes even more. Personally I used a Buggy-type car for most of the events, switching to Sports for some of the harder lap/race times, however I recommend you trial a few out and use what you are most comfortable with.

Some tips from my experience:

* Best way to do tricks is to hold the analog stick at a diagonal, that way you flip and spin at the same time, maximising the stars you gain from the trick.

* All standard event trophies unlock at the results screen after the event is over; Online and Split-screen trophies unlock once the task is completed.

* Shortcuts & Respawns are counted from your best result. If you have done an event with no respawns, then do a race and have to respawn it will still show 0 respawns on your stats. Shortcuts you must get all shortcuts in one event and you must receive a bronze, silver or gold medal for the stats to register.

I have set out a step-by-step guide below. I recommend you do Step 1 first, but after that Steps 2-4 can be done in any order you prefer.

Step 1: Play through the game until you have Gold medals for each event. Also refer to Shortcut list and get the trophy for that as well as that will help you win races and get good times. After this you should have the following:

Smart Driver

Bronze Champion

Silver Champion

Gold Champion

Step 2: If you have the Virus Run DLC, get the following online trophies. Find a boosting partner here and proceed to boost the 4 online trophies, they aren't very hard, so long as you have 5 other people with the same goal.

After this step you should have:

[Virus Run] World Ace

[Virus Run] Virus Spreader

[Virus Run] Score Hunter

[Virus Run] Infector

Step 3: Clean Up any missed Base and Lap Times for

Lap Champ

Race Ace

Step 4: If you have the Virus Run DLC, find a real person & a second controller to get the following

[Virus Run] We are the Champions

[Virus Run] Friendship Betrayer

Step 5: Clean Up any remaining trophies you may have missed, referring to the individual trophies in the guide. You will more than likely have gotten most of these during the natural course of play but after this you should have all the following, completing the game 100%.

Demolition Master

Air Time Expert

Star Collector

Trickster

Smash Cars Superstar

Safe Driver

[Virus Run] Smash Cars Ultrastar

Edited by Terminator
Added a link to the stickied guide.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/04.jpgDemolition Master (B)

Hit 15 objects in any single player level (original content). You must earn a bronze medal or higher in order to unlock the trophy.

This will probably be the first trophy you unlock, it should come naturally however if you are having problems pick an event (the longer the better) and hit any objects you see (bottles, boxes, watermelons etc)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/05.jpgAir Time Expert (B)

Get 75 seconds of air in any single player level (original content). You must earn a bronze medal or higher in order to unlock the trophy.

The best events to get this Trophy on are both on the "Highway" stages, Tunnels R. & Isle, just hit as many jumps as you can and before leaving the ramp press :cross: to jump higher.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/06.jpgStar Collector (B)

Accumulate 270 stars in single player mode using your best score from each level (original content).

This should come naturally when you are completing the other trophies, however if you are having problems, try spamming tricks on any of the "Highway" set of events.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/07.jpgTrickster (B)

Complete 15 air tricks in any single player level (original content). You must earn a bronze medal or higher in order to unlock the trophy.

The best events to get this trophy on are in the "Highway" section, any of the 4 events here are easiest to get 15 separate air tricks done on with Tunnels R. being the easiest in my opinion. NB: you must land the tricks for them to count.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/08.jpgLap Champ (B)

Beat all base lap times in every single player level (original content).

Beat the best lap times on all levels, you can check what your best time and the required time for each event by highlighting the event and pressing :square:.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/09.jpgRace Ace (B)

Beat all base race times in every single player level (original content).

Beat the best race times on all levels, you can check what your best time and the required time for each event by highlighting the event and pressing :square:.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/10.jpgSmash Cars Superstar (B)

Get 30 stars in one single player level (original content). You must earn a bronze medal or higher in order to unlock the trophy.

The best events to get this trophy on (just like "Trickster") are in the "Highway" section, any of the 4 events here are easiest to get 30 stars on, the best one in my opinion being Tunnels R..

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/11.jpgSmart Driver (S)

Find all the shortcuts in every single player level (original content). You must earn bronze medals or higher in order to unlock the trophy.

As a lot of the tracks overlap each other most of these shortcuts are found on more than one track, shortcuts for events are as follows (you must get all of them in the same race event for it to count)

Beach - Hopper - No Shortcuts

Beach - Hornbook - No Shortcuts

Fortress - Eight - 2 Shortcuts

1 - After you go down the dirt track instead of going up the ramp onto the structure, go to the right of it and underneath

2 - After you come out of the tunnel, instead of going up the ramp to the wooden structure on your left, keep to the right and smash through the 'caution' signs and boxes

Fortress - Eight R. - 2 Shortcuts (see above, same track but in reverse)

Fortress - Footbridge - 2 Shortcuts

1 - Just before you get to the first jump after you start, look to your left, you will see a caution sign and some other stuff, smash through these

2 - Same shortcut as on "Eight R.", after the sweeping bend instead of going up the onto the wooden structure keep left and smash through the boxes

Harbor - Fishing - 1 Shortcut

1 - Right at the end before the last corner you will see some blue barrels on your right, smash through these for this shortcut

Harbor - Fishing R. - 1 Shortcut (see above, same track but in reverse)

Harbor - Circle - No Shortcuts

Highway - Coast - 3 Shortcuts

1- Same shortcut as on "Eight R.", after the sweeping bend instead of going up the onto the wooden structure keep left and smash through the boxes

2- Same shortcut as on "Footbridge", just before you get to the jump on the dock turn left and smash through the caution signs and stuff.

3- After you come out of the 'bush' area with the frogs and back onto the road stick to the left and go through the trees there

Highway - Tunnels - 2 Shortcuts

1- Go right at the start through the trees instead of following the road

2- Blue barrels on the left just past the dog (same shortcut as on "Fishing")

Highway - Tunnels R. - 2 Shortcuts (see above, same track but in reverse)

Highway - Isle - 3 Shortcuts

1- Go right at the start through the trees instead of following the road (same shortcut as "Tunnels")

2- After you go through the bush section go to the right of the wooden ramp instead of going up it (same shortcut as "Eight")

3- After you come out of the tunnel, instead of going up the ramp to the wooden structure on the left, keep to the right and smash through the 'caution' signs and boxes (same shortcut as "Eight")

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/12.jpgSafe Driver (S)

Complete all single player levels without crashing or using any respawns (original content).

To get this you must have no respawns on a level (crashing out and exploding), you can check which levels you have managed to do this on by highlighting the race you want to check with square, pressing :r1: and looking where it says "respawns used", the number you want is 0, do this on all races for this trophy. (It only counts your best result so you only have to complete each race once with no respawns)

Secret Trophies

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/01.jpgBronze Champion (H)(B)

Earn a bronze medal, or better, in every single player level (original content).

See "Gold Champion"

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/02.jpgSilver Champion (H)(S)

Earn a silver medal, or better, in every single player level (original content).

See "Gold Champion"

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/194/03.jpgGold Champion (H)(G)

Earn a gold medal in every single player level (original content).

This is for having your best result placing as first place in all 12 race events, you will get this while going for the base race times if you havn't managed to get it naturally through playing the game

Edited by garythemunter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Nice guide, thanks for the shortcut list. Anyone else find the time trial races extremely hard? Maybe I'm just missing something (or I just suck at this game), but the Fortress and Harbor ones took me close to 45 minutes each just to get bronze. They were tough.

Thanks :) I didnt find them that hard, just play around with boost strategys and try out different vehicles, on Fortress make sure you use that shortcut underneath the wooden ramp thing.

Thanks :) I didnt find them that hard, just play around with boost strategys and try out different vehicles, on Fortress make sure you use that shortcut underneath the wooden ramp thing.

Yeah I was doing that. My deal was that I wasn't using the best car. I eventually went with the fastest possible and just learned the idiosyncracies of its handling (since you sacrifice handling for speed).

So how in the heck are you supposed to pull off the best lap and race times on most of the tracks? Seems like no matter what I do, I'm always too slow. Either that, or I crash. This game's freaking HARD! Since you say it's so easy, I feel like I must be missing something...what is it?

Ah, doing a moderate amount of tricks (not too many though or you end up loosing time) to keep your boost up helps, and figuring how to boost correctly around the tracks helps, if you could be more specific with the tracks you are having difficulty with and which vehicles you are using I could go check them out for you. I havnt played this for a while now but seriously, I didnt find it that difficult.

So how in the heck are you supposed to pull off the best lap and race times on most of the tracks? Seems like no matter what I do, I'm always too slow. Either that, or I crash. This game's freaking HARD! Since you say it's so easy, I feel like I must be missing something...what is it?

I agree with you, I think the time trials are pretty tough. Experiment with different cars... using the fastest ones possible worked for me. And learn the shortcuts as well.

Edit: Oh yeah, do what garythemunter says above, do plenty of tricks throughout to keep your boost up.

Thing is, I'm having this problem with almost every track. I've been using mostly the fourth Buggy, 'cause I just can't handle the sports cars AT ALL. Tricks and boosting I've pretty much got down, but I keep winding up ramming into something or something stupid like that. Even when I DON'T, I can't do too well.

I'm having particular trouble with the last time trial, where I haven't even managed to get GOLD, much less base times. It's freaking ridiculous!

Thing is, I'm having this problem with almost every track. I've been using mostly the fourth Buggy, 'cause I just can't handle the sports cars AT ALL. Tricks and boosting I've pretty much got down, but I keep winding up ramming into something or something stupid like that. Even when I DON'T, I can't do too well.

I'm having particular trouble with the last time trial, where I haven't even managed to get GOLD, much less base times. It's freaking ridiculous!

I basically had to do perfect laps each time to just make bronze... I had quite some trouble with it as well.

• 3 weeks later...

A buddy of mine bought this off PSN the other day and we were able to 100% it after maybe 3 or 4 sessions of playing. I did all of the base times with the last buggy (I found the handling more than makes up for the lack of super speed), so it is possible that you will never have to use the race cars if you don't want to.

The three tracks in the harbor gave me the most trouble but, with a well planned route, even they weren't too bad. The idea is to play strategecially - don't use your boost into a sharp corner, know when it is safe to do a few tricks to refill your nitro and, if you are taking a shortcut through barrels, do not slow down in your approach (this was one of my big mistakes). With a bit of practice and some luck, you should have 100% in no time.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...