AMDM

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
I used inSSIDer 3 to find the correct mac address, that may help you too

Did using the MAC from your SSID from inSSIDer work for you? How quick was it for you to update your location? Did you get an email to the address you gave when it updated?

Since it seems to not be working for me, I was hoping for some more info on what to expect.

Did using the MAC from your SSID from inSSIDer work for you? How quick was it for you to update your location? Did you get an email to the address you gave when it updated?

Since it seems to not be working for me, I was hoping for some more info on what to expect.

Yes it worked for me. It updated my location in 1-2 minutes, usually less. I don't know if they emailed me saying it was updated because I used an old email and never checked it. I just checked NEAR, saw it updated and did the street smart challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't believe this works if you have a Wifi/3G Vita due to GPS.

Skyhook does indeed work with the 3G model. I was able to complete Street Challenges in 2 other cities so far this week. It did take about 12 hours for the location change to take effect for me rather than a few minutes like others have reported.

ok so I have the 3G model as well....when you say 12 hrs.....what do you do in the mean time. Do you leave the vita off?? Do you still play it or what? I have done skyhook and left it on and done other things BUT I went on other networks and it never worked. Can you give more details please DONTWAKETHEKIDS

EDIT- do you disable the 3G? I don't have a 3G service...still unsure why I even bought the 3G model to behonest. Every detail you can provide the better.

Edited by knoxville363

What's worked for me is powering the Vita off between attempts and disabling 3G.

I've not restarted my router and it's worked. And I've restarted my router and it hasn't. The only thing I do differently now than before is pass on loading the Near app. Not necessary, and whenever I do it doesn't work. So go figure. It ain't an exact science. Keep trying stuff until it works.

I had some issues at first with skyhook too. But found out that I had entered the wrong mac adress to register. I used inSSiDer to find all macadresses on my connection, then changed one at a time and checked near after every try. When I found the right one it registered almost imediately

Took me 1.5-2 hours to get my remaining 70 stars then.

Rhasget, are you using the wireless MAC of your router or the physical MAC address of your Vita?

I am not an expert but believe it would be the router address as you are effectively telling skyhook your location is wrong and telling the site your router is in another city, so doing the Vita would't really help, however I may be wrong.

Your router will have several active macadresses. Depending on what protocol it is using (wan, wlan, lan).

I did this over a year ago so my memory isn't fresh.

I used a program to display all macadresses that showed up in my network. I then registered each macadress on a DIFFERENT (several people who have asked me has missed this) geographic location than my current. After each input of macadress I restarted my Vita and checked Near. Once my location changed I knew wich macadress to use in the future.

I then did a location challenge in Smart As, several times if I wasnt happy with the score.

Registered a new location ( I jumped between major cities like Boston, New York, Chicago, Philly and so on), restarted my Vita, checked my location in Near and then did a new location challenge.

Took me 1.5-2 hours to get something like 60-65 stars with this method.

I have a Vita with WiFi only.

Edited by Rhasget
Spellcheck

I know how to find the correct MAC for the routers wifi radio, that's not rocket science. But I've tried multiple locations, updated skyhook every other day or so, and still nothing. So I think skyhook just my be down or something. If anybody has gotten their location to change in the past week or so let me know.

I tried it myself just now and something seems to be wrong with skyhook. I know I have the right macadress and it doesn't update my location (have waited an hour and never waited more than five minutes before).

Also, I can't set my location to some places. Tried Ukraine (Astana), Germany (Berlin) and got an error saying that it was wrong location, not found.

Tried a couple of different cities in my homecountry (Sweden) and they all worked.

It's not the world for me since I platted it long ago, but I have had several pms and requests for help in this matter so I'm looking for a solution too.