Is this game good, tolerable or just plain awful??

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished up Jak 1. I played Sly 1 last year. Sly 1 has definitely aged much, much better than Jak has. Now Sly 2, on the other hand--that's just a hideous chore to deal with. It just drags on and on. It's a shame they didn't continue in the same style as Sly 1, because the character and stories in Sly are so much more enjoyable than Jak's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just defeated Mz. Ruby and I must say so far this game is boring as hell (sometimes also frustrating). I haven't had the PS2 back in the days but I doubt I would enjoy the original - though the trophies make it worth your while now I guess. I would just say that it won't be enjoyable to everyone (maybe I am too old for this type of games). But definitely not an awful game. Just good, like 7-8/10

• 3 months later...

It's a great game, but if you haven't played any Sly game before and got into it the first time with the Collection, then it might be difficult. I've never played a platformer like this game before and there was a sharp learning curve to be utterly precise. 'Cause if you mess up once, you could easily die.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed this series on the PS2 so I didn't know what to expect. I can report though after finishing Sly 1 that I did like the game and it was a nice change of pace over other games that I like. It's also nice that the game is family friendly so kids can watch without worrying about nightmares. However, I see this game as not being kid friendly to play as the precise button memorization you have to have at certain points. Not an earth shattering game and not a top 10 for me, but still an enjoyable experience. Easy plat and was only $10 last Black Friday, so what's not to like!

• 2 years later...
Sly 1: Good

Sly 2: Awful

Sly 3: Tolerable

That's my opinion. If you're planning on playing the trilogy, then make the most of #1, because the other two are nowhere near as good as that one.

I was gonna start a thread asking a similar thing, what people think of the collection, but this thread has loads of interesting opinions.

I got the trilogy just for the plats I admit but damn I'm just 6 hours into sly 1 and I know this will be a chore to do all 3. How much someone likes a game is subjective ofcourse, one man's trash is another's treasure and for me this game is so dull, no thrills, no replayability, no incentive besides some easy trophies. If sly 1 is the best I'm screwed! Cos I can't just not play 2 and 3 cos u need them to finish the mini games.

I know this is from the same developers as infamous and I love infamous, they're pure thrills and I can see undeniable elements in sly that remind me of infamous but the fun in sly is nill.

Edited by ChrisDMFv2

• 1 month later...

This question is obviously based on your personal gaming preferences. I really enjoyed Sly 1. I never played it on PS2 and just got the platinum trophy on Vita.

There were a few mini-games that I found to be really annoying and somewhat frustrating and the final boss took a while to beat. But the platforming sections were a lot of fun. The collectibles were not overly challenging and I really enjoyed unlocking all of the vaults to find out what they contained. There is not a lot of replay value unless you want to do a lot of speed runs(not my kind of thing). The health system can also sometimes be frustrating since at most you can only take three hits and die (sometimes only one). Also, the controls for me sometimes seemed difficult. Sometimes I would jump towards a ledge or rope and push the button to grab it, but Sly wouldn't.

Overall, this game for me was good and worth playing. If you don't enjoy platformers and want a lot of action in your games, then you may be disappointed. If you enjoy stealth games, this will also be an enjoyable game as sneaking around enemies and/or taking them out without being spotted is a big part of the gameplay.

• 8 months later...

I've just got the platinum on the Vita version of this game and feel like offering my opinion in the unlikely event anybody ever browses this part of the forum and is considering purchasing this game!

Firstly it's weaknesses... I mean, it's simplistic, it's mostly simple platforming and that can be a strength or a weakness depending on how you view that type of thing. Many of the skills don't really offer anything unless you go out of your way to use them. I mean, when you're not forced to use one, the game doesn't really give you any great reason to use them except your own curiosity, that's a weakness as it hurts any depth the game could have. The enemies are pretty redundant too.

That said, the strengths of the game are that it's just simple, light hearted fun. It's not too challenging, the odd part will give you a little test but overall it's an easy and relaxing game with some interesting level design and a decent aesthetic. It's definitely a good handheld game in that respect.

A comment on the Vita port...it's not very good at all. The cutscenes are very pixelated and the sound quality extremely poor in those cutscenes. Also you can expect frequent frame rate drops and that can be pretty annoying in a platformer as it can throw you off your rhythm. It's playable but damn...couldn't they have solved that on this hardware?!

I'd give the game a 7/10, the port a 4/10 and at $4 which I bought it for in the January sale I feel it was worth it. A nice simple, shiny platinum helps and what is great is that you can get 95% towards the platinum without having to use a guide as collectibles are not for the most part obscurely placed.

Edited by ZenosParadox