The worse Sly in the series as far as controls?

In both Sly 1 and 2 I griped on the difficulty rating threads that the use of the :circle: button was over used in the games and it was hard to get used to hitting it for almost every jump Sly has to make, actually you have to hit :cross::cross::circle: for nearly every jump which was too many button hits for a single jump in my opinion, but at least I didn't have any problems with it not working. If I screwed up a jump it was because I missed the :circle: button at the right time or I forgot to double jump first before hitting :circle:. But in this game I know I'm hitting :circle: and Sly is still not grabbing on to the small hooks in the side of walls, this is the only time when hitting :circle: seems to not be working when it should, the rest of the things I need to hit :circle: seem so far to work just fine, it's only when I need to grab the hooks on walls that I experience him sometimes not hooking on. Also there has been several times when Sly fell off a high edge and when he went to respawn he respawned over empty space which just made him fall a second time, this also didn't happen to me during Sly 1 or 2. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started with the game today and notice this awell. Thinking how did I miss that spire jump I know I hit the buttons. Either this game doesn't read them all the time or you have to be a lot closer. Two gave you a lot of room for error and still would figure out where you were aiming at let you land there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Totally agree. The hardest challenges for me ended up being any timed platforming jobs that involved those damn rock climbing hooks. Those things only work half the time. Either you simply dont latch on to them or they shoot you up in a poor direction so you cant get to the appropriate ledge.

• 1 month later...

Honestly this game sux, I never played Sly on Ps2 and got this collection to get updated with such a classic. But seriously this Sly 3 is just the same over and over again, crappy controls, and got tired of Bentley´s comments.

The characters were great on the Sly 1, and average on the 2, seems that Sucker punch got dried on ideas and just came up with new characters.

Getting now the challenges but I found this platinum as boring as Larry´s (fortunately I quit that on time)

Yeah, I agree with alot of what you're saying. I have recently finished all the games, and I think this would have been the best one in the series had it not been for the unpolished controls. They just didn't seem to work 100% properly for me. Whenever I jumped for a wall hook, I was never quite sure if he would actually grab onto it or not. All in all though, still a pretty fun game I thought.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Worst controls for any game, period. They had too many stupid mini-games and didn't concentrate on perfecting the controls. It really sucks to have to fight the controls in the platforming game.

The biggest problem I had was actually with the those mini-games, as you often aren't given enough information of what all the useable controls are (they aren't listed in the manual either).

For instance in the Penelope sword fight, Bentley tells you how to move and dodge, but not attack (I only found out by watching a YouTube video, you can and need to hit triangle). And in the biplane missions, especially the last dogfight against the 20 enemies, it would really be helpful to know about holding square to slow down and make sharp turns. Lastly, it was only by accident, after dozens of restarts from hitting those mines that popped up in the water, that I discovered that I needed to hit X to jump when riding the sharks.

Oh, and don't get me started on the targetting/reloading time with the spear gun. That hammerhead shark sequence was way tougher than it need to be.

Crossing my fingers now that I get through all the challenges with all my controllers intact.:p

Edited by Satnamji

• 4 months later...

Again another control problem related to those fucking wall hooks . . .

**SPOILER**

I'm in the Cooper vault, just after he's found his Arabian ancestor, and I simply cannot make the jump from the last hanging hook onto the wall hook. I rock back and forth and jump and get as much air as I can, but even after double jumping I'm nowhere near enough the hook to grab onto it.

Anyone have any suggestions before my controller goes through my TV?

I just watched a walkthough on YouTube, and the guy makes the jump on the first try. Does this mean mine's glitching?

I was actually enjoying this game the most out of the trilogy, but this shit is quickly souring me.

Edited by Hotspur000

I'm in the Cooper vault, just after he's found his Arabian ancestor, and I simply cannot make the jump from the last hanging hook onto the wall hook. I rock back and forth and jump and get as much air as I can, but even after double jumping I'm nowhere near enough the hook to grab onto it.

Anyone have any suggestions before my controller goes through my TV?

Try not doing a double jump and instead just press the circle button after a regular jump. Some of these hooks have a sweet spot (some times at much further distance than others) and doing a double jump will make you off shoot that sweet spot,

Try not doing a double jump and instead just press the circle button after a regular jump. Some of these hooks have a sweet spot (some times at much further distance than others) and doing a double jump will make you off shoot that sweet spot,

It finally worked, randomly.

I realize now if I just had of bought the triple jump power up there would have been no problems at all, but still . . .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...