Is it just me or this game is TERRIBLY LONG?

CaldaSnake

Hi everyone,

I got the plat for this game yesterday, but before I started it I took a look at some threads to check if there was anything in special I should know, so I had everything covered (being careful with spoilers), as I do for every game.

I was pretty worried after reading about the amount of people that said the game is terrible and that they were bored to tears playing it. However, I got surprised, found the game cool and liked most of the of the new stuff added since Sly 1.

In my opinion, A LOT of good new stuff was added providing a good amount of variety to the game. Some things very forced, yeah, like making you play 1/3 of the game as Bentley and Murray who cannot make the primary thing that makes the Sly games cool and is it's DNA, which is the amount of platforming variety of Sly's moves. But, the thing is, the game ended up feeling to me as repetitive as Sly 1 (that is VERY VERY repetitive) due to it's terribly long lengh! The game has 8 chapters and ,even though not caring about collecting the bottles, I've averaged 1:45h-2:15h each! That makes 15-16h of gameplay! Not to mention you spend 10% of the time looking for objectives an where to go next...

And I think that was a huge bummer to me because I was glad the game was going much better than the first one but they clearly exaggerated in it's lengh. There is 2 chapters in a row that looks almost the same (6 and 7)! Sure, the game is very old and I can't require the amount of content as a game of nowadays. Even so, Sucker Punch made a great improvement but in the end I felt bored to tears because of all this. Sly 1 was nice, although terribly repetitive, but at least it was short.

I'm starting Sly 3 right now and I hope the game wont't make me drag like this to finish it...

Any thoughts?

I completely agree with you. I finished Sly 2 last week and I was getting pretty bored by Episode 5. It was terribly long and just seemed to drag on and on. Everytime I thought that it'd be the end, you'd hear Bentley discussing his plan which involved doing yet ANOTHER 5 quests with the three characters. :o_O:

I preferred Sly 1 if I'm honest. Yes, that can get a bit repetitive too, but it didn't feel like that to me and I really enjoyed that one. Sly 2, not so much.

I completely agree with you. I finished Sly 2 last week and I was getting pretty bored by Episode 5. It was terribly long and just seemed to drag on and on. Everytime I thought that it'd be the end, you'd hear Bentley discussing his plan which involved doing yet ANOTHER 5 quests with the three characters. :o_O:

I preferred Sly 1 if I'm honest. Yes, that can get a bit repetitive too, but it didn't feel like that to me and I really enjoyed that one. Sly 2, not so much.

Yeah, Sly 1 was insanely repetitive but I didn't get bored because it was simple and short. But Sly 2, jeez...

I found the first game to be incredibly boring, in its gameplay, story and level design. I finished it because it was short, but at that point, I was wondering why they made a collection of that game... Then I played the second game. Even if it is long, it keeps things interesting and the added features at least makes Sly play as a thief. I have yet to start the third game.

This is pretty much how I felt as well, it was pretty long and boring after awhile.

Here's hoping sly 3 isn't as repetitive and boring as sly 2 since I just started it today

Hi everyone,

I got the plat for this game yesterday, but before I started it I took a look at some threads to check if there was anything in special I should know, so I had everything covered (being careful with spoilers), as I do for every game.

I was pretty worried after reading about the amount of people that said the game is terrible and that they were bored to tears playing it. However, I got surprised, found the game cool and liked most of the of the new stuff added since Sly 1.

In my opinion, A LOT of good new stuff was added providing a good amount of variety to the game. Some things very forced, yeah, like making you play 1/3 of the game as Bentley and Murray who cannot make the primary thing that makes the Sly games cool and is it's DNA, which is the amount of platforming variety of Sly's moves. But, the thing is, the game ended up feeling to me as repetitive as Sly 1 (that is VERY VERY repetitive) due to it's terribly long lengh! The game has 8 chapters and ,even though not caring about collecting the bottles, I've averaged 1:45h-2:15h each! That makes 15-16h of gameplay! Not to mention you spend 10% of the time looking for objectives an where to go next...

And I think that was a huge bummer to me because I was glad the game was going much better than the first one but they clearly exaggerated in it's lengh. There is 2 chapters in a row that looks almost the same (6 and 7)! Sure, the game is very old and I can't require the amount of content as a game of nowadays. Even so, Sucker Punch made a great improvement but in the end I felt bored to tears because of all this. Sly 1 was nice, although terribly repetitive, but at least it was short.

I'm starting Sly 3 right now and I hope the game wont't make me drag like this to finish it...

Any thoughts?

My thoughts? You're an idiot.

You people are the reason games are too short nowadays. And then you bitch about not getting your money's worth. Disgusting.

There's getting your money's worth and then there's dragging something out with the same old thing.

Sly 2 didn't really have anything new with each of the missions. Each episode was always laid out as so:

1) Take recon photos

2) Sabotage/prevent something with each of the three characters

3) Next day, do the same thing again

4) Meet boss

5) Fight boss

Now I know that the whole idea of the Cooper clan is to get information and plan out things first, but the game didn't really do a good job of making it seem unique and fun to me. I could easily predict exactly what I'd have to do by Episode 3. Then it just became a chore.

Hi everyone,

Any thoughts?

I agree and disagree. I hated this game although i enjoyed bits of it.

sly 3 was more fun for me, and slightly shorter (do the challenges as they come up, since thats all i am stuck on). so yes it will be a drag, but only one trophy will make it drag on

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
There's getting your money's worth and then there's dragging something out with the same old thing.

Sly 2 didn't really have anything new with each of the missions. Each episode was always laid out as so:

1) Take recon photos

4) Meet boss

5) Fight boss

Now I know that the whole idea of the Cooper clan is to get information and plan out things first, but the game didn't really do a good job of making it seem unique and fun to me. I could easily predict exactly what I'd have to do by Episode 3. Then it just became a chore.

This is exactly how I've been feeling with this game. I absolutely LOVED the first one and quickly went on the second but, although I like the some of the changed they made with playing the other characters I really dislike the predictability of it. I'm on episode 3 and it really is a pain to get through.

1) Take recon photos

4) Meet boss

5) Fight boss

I think I agree with this the most... I enjoyed Sly 1 a lot and was pleasantly surprised that I liked it so much. So I immediately moved to Sly 2 hoping for the same thing.

Even though Sly 2 is somewhat the same... it has too much of the open enviroment feel rather than the individual level feel.

Sly 2 has good things but I'm on level 5 now and I'm pretty much just waiting for this game to be over. All the joy I felt with the first one has been lifted by the second game.

I'm heading over to the Sly 3 forum now to read what people think of the 3rd game. Hopefully I read some good reviews that don't discourage me from continuing this series.

• 2 weeks later...
This is exactly how I've been feeling with this game. I absolutely LOVED the first one and quickly went on the second but, although I like the some of the changed they made with playing the other characters I really dislike the predictability of it. I'm on episode 3 and it really is a pain to get through.

Yea i always HATED episode three but the rest of them atleast to me seemed pretty cool. I also agree that this is the best game in the Trilogy (Soon to have 4 games) but that it was rather long.

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear. I'm the same as you - loved the first game but then got terribly bored by the second. That's probably to be expected when I played 1 and 2 back to back though - because both games are fairly similar anyway (let alone the 2nd being repetitive, over-long etc). I'm going to leave it a while to play sly 3 - so I'm hoping the time away will mean that I enjoy it as much as the first title.