Street Races

Aranethon

Hot dang, these street races are crap. The driving controls are almost as bad as those in GTA IV. You can't knock out your opponents, you can only hope you don't get nudged into a car, you have to come to a near stop on turns, otherwise you'll go 3 feet out of bounds and get stuck on a fence.

Anyone else hating these freaking races as much as I am? I'm just glad this game was free, so I won't feel bad setting it on fire.

Edited by Aranethon

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the street races as one of the last things in the game, as I had an idea that they where difficult. The truth is, they're not that difficult, it's just the rest of the game that's too easy.

Just keep at it and figure out a strategy for each race, learn the route, when to brake, slow down, hold left, hold right etc. Oh, and don't always quit the race when you get behind early - the NPC drivers make mistakes too.

The only race I had any real trouble with was the one called Detour. I experimented a bit with cars and finally got it after 10+ tries. Afterwards I discovered that there's a trick, a shortcut you can take (and that's why it's called Detour). Check it out, if that's the race giving you the rage.

Edited by Phanaamana

Yeah, I guess I should hold off on them. I've only been playing about 2 hours, and this is not creating a good first impression of the game, combined with the wonky camera and fighting controls. I just don't like admitting defeat, I guess :whistle: I only restarted the race once.. the only option I had was to restart the checkpoint... which apparently was about 15 minutes before I even got to the race. Sooo... there ya go

If you're only two hours in the game, then complete all story missions, side missions etc. By then you should have figured it out and gotten used to the driving controls.

Otherwise, enjoy, it's a pretty decent game and pretty easy plat :)

It really isn't the driving controls.

The races also have the terrible addition of AI speed match, so if you actually gain a lead on them, they'll shoot up past you at a speed you can't even obtain.

And seriously... 15 minutes for the damn motorcycle race... with no checkpoints for WHEN you get bumped into a wall and thrown out 50 feet, or on a passby they bump you and you get shot into a wall.

I absolutely hate races, but these were just made to be irritating.

I absolutely loved the races :) I found the vehicle handling was quite realistic.

Either way, if you're having issues with the races, consider trying them at a different time of the day. There are less cars on the roads in the night and more in the day. More cars means you're more likely to hit something, but the AI can also often get stuck on them!

Also, I wouldn't judge the game after a two hour play, I thought it was brilliant :)

Now that I've progressed much more through the story, alot of the races aren't "that bad" although the race "endure" which is the 15 minute bike one is still a pain in the ass that I haven't bothered to try again yet. I was using the bike "Sting" but after doing a few more class A races with the forget the name, but CR - numbers and the info states it has the 1100 cc motor, the control and speed is so much better than the crap I had been using. The motor boat race was a joke, and the car races are so insanely simple that the only huge issue you have is sometimes the AI is too good and doesn't mess up enough to let you jump into the lead.

The races are absolute fucking garbage. Terrible driving physics and controls (circle instead of square for handbrake, really??), constant rubberbanding, getting rammed off the road or into shit... it's like I'm playing LittleBigPlanet Karting. Which, surprise surprise, is also made by United Front. These assholes should be banned from making any racing games or including any racing elements in non-racing games because they are just awful at it. After getting fucked over at the very end of one particularly long race last night, I was in a murderous, blind rage for at least 5 minutes.

Well, to be fair to the developers, I don't see why the races should be any different from everything else in the game...

This.

I wanted to give the game a fair shot before I said this, but dang, I'm so glad this was free for PS+. I would have been so mad if I'd spent money on this trash. I don't care how easy the platinum is. It's not worth it if I have to spend another minute of my life with the horrible controls and the lack of... well, anything interesting at all.

This.

I wanted to give the game a fair shot before I said this, but dang, I'm so glad this was free for PS+. I would have been so mad if I'd spent money on this trash. I don't care how easy the platinum is. It's not worth it if I have to spend another minute of my life with the horrible controls and the lack of... well, anything interesting at all.

You're saying this game is crap solely because you're having a hard time with the races and controls? Are you omitting everything else this game has to offer, that is, I don't know, fun?

Sure this game could use some improvements (as with other games), but I don't know about you, but I and a lot of other people who have played this game had a blast with it.

Edited by BreadSkin

The races are absolute fucking garbage. Terrible driving physics and controls (circle instead of square for handbrake, really??), constant rubberbanding, getting rammed off the road or into shit... it's like I'm playing LittleBigPlanet Karting. Which, surprise surprise, is also made by United Front. These assholes should be banned from making any racing games or including any racing elements in non-racing games because they are just awful at it. After getting fucked over at the very end of one particularly long race last night, I was in a murderous, blind rage for at least 5 minutes.

Just got the plat... the 15 minute long bike race that I was stressing over...Isn't even required... nor are a few others.. the ones that were, were an absolute joke once I sat down and started to do them.. So if the long race you're talking about is "Enduro"... yeah.. you can skip it.

No sandbox game has "great" driving simulation. There's a mild exception in Red Dead Redemption, but it has pretty good riding simulation only. GTA driving has always been awful, Sleeping Dogs is not that awful but awful enough. Just Cause cars are only good for jumping on. In the futuristic setting Red Faction, Ratchet & Clank and Borderlands have atrocious driving action.

Racing mini-games sort of are part of sandboxing too, but that mini-game concept does often have a curse attached. GTA driving mechanics being just god awful is somewhat a mystery to me, considering Rockstar has the experience after developing what I think is a very good street racer (Midnight Club). The cars just don't drive as good the instant you model hundreds of pedestrians in there.

All that said, Sleeping Dogs side-quest races are stupid easy once you buy a Velocita. You can crash all you want and no one can still catch up with you. Cross-Island Enduro is part of the Street Racer DLC, which doesn't even have any trophies. You can beat the game for poor driving mechanics, but not because you forgot to do your fact checking :)

No sandbox game has "great" driving simulation. There's a mild exception in Red Dead Redemption, but it has pretty good riding simulation only. GTA driving has always been awful, Sleeping Dogs is not that awful but awful enough. Just Cause cars are only good for jumping on. In the futuristic setting Red Faction, Ratchet & Clank and Borderlands have atrocious driving action.

Racing mini-games sort of are part of sandboxing too, but that mini-game concept does often have a curse attached. GTA driving mechanics being just god awful is somewhat a mystery to me, considering Rockstar has the experience after developing what I think is a very good street racer (Midnight Club). The cars just don't drive as good the instant you model hundreds of pedestrians in there.

All that said, Sleeping Dogs side-quest races are stupid easy once you buy a Velocita. You can crash all you want and no one can still catch up with you. Cross-Island Enduro is part of the Street Racer DLC, which doesn't even have any trophies. You can beat the game for poor driving mechanics, but not because you forgot to do your fact checking :)

This.

When developers try to stuff everything in a game, it becomes a game with a whole lot of mediocre activities, controls, graphichs etc. Quantity over quality, it seems in the sandbox genre.

It's not a racing game. Not a fighting game. Not a shooter. Just a hybrid game to hit as big a segment of gamers as possible.

Just got the plat... the 15 minute long bike race that I was stressing over...Isn't even required... nor are a few others.. the ones that were, were an absolute joke once I sat down and started to do them.. So if the long race you're talking about is "Enduro"... yeah.. you can skip it.

Dont know how you've managed that then cos you need to complete all of the races to get the Wei of the Road trophy.

When developers try to stuff everything in a game, it becomes a game with a whole lot of mediocre activities, controls, graphichs etc. Quantity over quality, it seems in the sandbox genre.

It's not a racing game. Not a fighting game. Not a shooter. Just a hybrid game to hit as big a segment of gamers as possible.

I'm inclined to agree spreading your assets makes them thinner all around, but I do love my sandboxing flawed or not :whistle: You can do all kinds of things without having to dedicate major amounts of the year into something like Tekken, Battlefield or Gran Turismo.

Sure I've done so and don't mind doing so, but there's that fun to be had in ripping it up with a Velocita on your way to a clothing store - while the alternative would be sweating a 10 lap survival battle starting with the carting class. It's not like I'm getting paid for winning it, so I need to be in a certain mood to actually go through the effort.

Dont know how you've managed that then cos you need to complete all of the races to get the Wei of the Road trophy.

Yeah, but endure and a few others are included in one of the PS+ freebie packs. The triad street racer pack if I remember correctly. As such, they weren't in the original version and are not the "17" required. I finished without doing Enduro with 19 races total, having replayed none. But then again, I could have just gotten lucky and the game glitched in my favor.

Edited by Multitasking

I've only completed a few races, and there's a motorcycle one that was pissing me off, forgot the name. The one north east of north point right buy a car store. Although I bought another bike, it was slightly faster and doing abrupt turns with it was much more responsive and fluid than the first bike I had.

So so far, unless someone tells me otherwise...my strategy is to buy better shit if I can't win a race. XD Of course that's not fail proof, and I'm a little bothered that you pretty much have to learn a course by heart before you even stand a chance of winning. That said, some of the races are really short and you can rely on the AI to mess up and then win, even if it's like, your second try.

I've only completed a few races, and there's a motorcycle one that was pissing me off, forgot the name. The one north east of north point right buy a car store. Although I bought another bike, it was slightly faster and doing abrupt turns with it was much more responsive and fluid than the first bike I had.

The one by north points car store is enduro. it is not required, along with I believe it is "kamikaze" and one other one that is included in the street racer pack that came with the PS+ .

But I found for the class A bike races, the 1100-NA-R or whatever it is, is a great bike. Faster than what the computers use most of the time too.

I won Enduro with that second bike I got, which helped cuz it was faster. Is that the only race that takes forever? All the ones I got so far, beat some more tonight, are really short and easy.

I mean there's one car race I could NOT beat, then I bought another car, and won no probs. So...the faster the better I guess, easier to get a quick lead on everyone and then concentrate on doing all the turns right and not crash in shit.

Why is Enduro the first race that pops up though? It's like the hardest one.

I didn't realize Enduro was considered the hardest race. I beat it on my 2nd attempt and used the Sting. Also thought it was part of the main game, but anyway the face xp was nice.

Basically I didn't use brake or handbrake, when you want to turn just release the accelerator and turn. Something about braking/handbrake in this game that makes you lose too much speed and lose control. Around some of the slow corners, I used brake (tapped) only if I was going to hit a wall.

But as far as rubberband AI goes, this is nothing compared to Motorstorm Pacific Rift.