Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Johnny Bananas

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Sleeping Dogs. This thread has been created to discuss anything Sleeping Dogs related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune.

Yay, now I don't have to figure out why spoiler tags don't work for me. >_> Anyways.

I'm slightly disappointed it was so short, honestly. I got the game on Wednesday, and I finished it on Thursday night. A few parts really didn't grab me though. Specifically, the torture section near the end. One minute Wei can barely walk, he's stumbling around and leaving bloody footprints, but then he walks through a door and suddenly is capable of all his kung-fu stuff again with no lasting injuries whatsoever, despite being cut open multiple times by Tong, being beaten with a hammer and possibly having his knee/leg drilled (Not sure if that's exactly what happened, I missed part of the cutscene).

Also even closer to the end, when Big Smile Lee shoots Wei in the chest with a shotgun and he just gets back up. And then during the final fight with Lee, Wei punches really slowly and weakly, but his counter moves are normal speed. I don't get it.

Aside from those, and a couple parts I have yet to wrap up possibly (Not Ping? I need to know who she really is, she's adorable) it's a brilliant game. Definitely worth the full price I paid for it, and with any luck I'll add it to my platinums soon.

Thanks for the thread!

I was sad when it was finished as well. I only completed the story yesterday and i've already started replaying a few of the missions.

I'd hope for a sequel but I don't think they could make it work.

IIRC United Front Games' original idea was to have a female protagonist, but Activision made them change it to a male. Maybe they can make it happen sequel.

I really liked Wei though and I'd like to see him again, but yeah I don't see a sequel working with Wei, they really gave his story closure (Pendrew in jail, the people that got her sister into drugs dead, none of the girls you date are relevant enough, at the end he says Hong Kong is his home so any potential sequel with him would've to take place there but he has no enemies left).

IIRC United Front Games' original idea was to have a female protagonist, but Activision made them change it to a male. Maybe they can make it happen sequel.

I really liked Wei though and I'd like to see him again, but yeah I don't see a sequel working with Wei, they really gave his story closure (Pendrew in jail, the people that got her sister into drugs dead, none of the girls you date are relevant enough, at the end he says Hong Kong is his home so any potential sequel with him would've to take place there but he has no enemies left).

That's interesting. I'd be happy to play as a new character if they made a sequel. Like you said though, I really liked Wei and i'd love to play as him again.

The only way of using him again I guess is moving him to a new country with a new police squad that have hired him or something. Yakuza in Japan maybe or a Cartel in Mexico (even though that wouldn't be a very glitzy game) would be cool. I doubt we'll see a sequel or Wei though. :(

I wish they fleshed out the girlfriends a bit more. One date and that's it? I would have liked GTA's Girlfriend system and then they could have created more activities to do with them. I was a sad panda when I found out that Amanda (first girlfriend) was promiscuous and wouldn't be interested in a relationship with Wei. :(

I'm slightly disappointed it was so short, honestly. I got the game on Wednesday, and I finished it on Thursday night. A few parts really didn't grab me though. Specifically, the torture section near the end. One minute Wei can barely walk, he's stumbling around and leaving bloody footprints, but then he walks through a door and suddenly is capable of all his kung-fu stuff again with no lasting injuries whatsoever, despite being cut open multiple times by Tong, being beaten with a hammer and possibly having his knee/leg drilled (Not sure if that's exactly what happened, I missed part of the cutscene).

That was pretty much my only gripe with the story, it was a shame it happened to come at such a climactic moment.

Otherwise, I thought the story was fantastic. Over the top? Of course. But that was part of the aesthetic, and it still drew me in a lot. I especially loved the pacing of the story, how it really ramped up towards the end (and didn't try to have a whole bunch of "peaks" in the middle of the story, ruining the final events, like many games do these days ).

I really enjoyed everything Sleeping Dogs had to offer. They could have added more, but nothing felt out of place as far as the gameplay and open world are concerned. The combat, characters, setting and pacing were all fantastic.

I will agree that the torture sequence was a little uneven considering the facts that have been stated of Wei being completely incapacitated, limping around after awakening and then suddenly becoming a badass super cop again when all of the bad guys show up. They should have made the whole sequence stealth takedowns instead of quick paced combat near the end of the area. I also would have liked a double story arc where you can either play as a straight nosed cop or a badass triad, but they did really well with the story they had set.

I'd really enjoy seeing more vehicles if there were to ever be a future installment. Some bicycles and helicopters would be pretty neat, especially with how gorgeous HK looks at night in the game. A longer story would have also been great, because while there is plenty left to do when you beat the main story, it would still be nice if the story were to have rivaled GTAIV's story in length.

I also felt that they should have expanded on the dating like in GTAIV. I hate to bring up other games and compare the two, but it's difficult not to considering the sandbox that Rockstar created. There was a lot to do outside of the main story in Sleeping Dogs, but not much to do as far as activities are concerned. You can race, do odd jobs like collecting for a loan shark and collecting cars, but there aren't any activities to do for fun outside of jamming out to some awesome karaoke tunes, whooping peoples asses in street fights or betting on fighting cocks. Maybe increasing on the red light district by adding more activities like pool.

The biggest thing this game lacked though was an online multiplayer. I really love the Social HUB and being able to beat your friends at different things like driving without hitting anything, jumping your vehicle a certain amount of feet and whatever else, but a competitive multiplayer would have been really fun.

I know this isn't really all pertaining to the story, but it's just how I feel about the game. Altogether, Sleeping Dogs is a tremendously fun game and is still keeping me pretty busy with it's collectibles even though I've beaten the story awhile ago.

Edited by joeyc138

Yay, now I don't have to figure out why spoiler tags don't work for me. >_> Anyways.

I'm slightly disappointed it was so short, honestly. I got the game on Wednesday, and I finished it on Thursday night.

Really? Damn, why can't I just do these fights...

This game is a bit meh to be honest. It's lacking something, or maybe yet, TOO much of something...TOO MANY GANG FIGHTS!

Thanks for the thread!

I agree about there not being much room for a sequel with wei, but there is a possibility off a prequel which goes through the story of what happened to him in America because there are a couple of references to his time in America in the story.

Thanks for the thread!

The game has received much love and admiration across the board.

It will continue, however with a new protagonist.

... its the only way it would work.

I agree about there not being much room for a sequel with wei, but there is a possibility off a prequel which goes through the story of what happened to him in America because there are a couple of references to his time in America in the story.

I'd like to see that happen. Perhaps even play as the sister and not the the brother. For all we know, the sister could be an undercover cop pretending to be dope, fooling the brother and dying in a blaze of glory fighting drug lords. :eek::dance:

Curious why there are only men fighting. Do women not fight back in China? What about the ninja woman? Is that only in Japan? The only women I've seen are hot girlfriends of the men in the game which is nice but thought we'd have to kicked some bad ass girls butt or something. Is this set back in time a few years?

That's a great idea, I didn't even think about it. But that would make the city San Francisco and I wanted more Hong Kong. :(

The game has received much love and admiration across the board.

It will continue, however with a new protagonist.

... its the only way it would work.

As much as I like Wei I'd love another game in Hong Kong even if it means a new protagonist.

I'd like to see that happen. Perhaps even play as the sister and not the the brother. For all we know, the sister could be an undercover cop pretending to be dope, fooling the brother and dying in a blaze of glory fighting drug lords. :eek::dance:

You just blew my mind.

I really enjoyed the story of this game. It was loosely based on Asian cinema such as Internal Affairs which was remade and more popularly known as The Departed, one of my favorite films, and was not disappointed. I too had issues with the ending and how Wei still managed to be badass (it would have been fine if they had not made such a big deal of him being weak one second then BA the next) and how everything wrapped up so nicely at the end. Not that I don't like a happy ending, but that was just too perfect and it had me rolling my eyes at how it all seem to come together at the last minute.

As far as sequels go, I'm a little torn. I hope that Wei is done, we've had a strong story with him and I feel that a better experience could be had with a new character. I'm not sure if I want it set in Hong Kong, or somewhere new. On one side they did so well with the nods to Asian cinema and perhaps a series could be planted there, however the "rat" story could fit well in perhaps a Russia story or I suppose North America.

What about the 18k gang?

Anyway, personally I felt that the story was a bit disappointing. There was no suspense or twists. Maybe only the part where Pandrew is the one that killed Uncle Po.

Don't know how far away I'm from the end but damn I can't await it! I'm really curious now, last thing I did was saving uncle Po in the hospital, but I need to take a break now, been playing and playing the last couple of hours :D

So far I really like the story especially since it got more interesting after the wedding incident.

So how close am I to the end of the story, can anyone tell me?

Plus there is a way to replay the missions right? Not only for getting higher points but so far I really liked some of them and would love to replay some of them! :)

Edit: Nevermind I spoilered myself!

Edit 2: Well I'm through now, the end could have been much more spectacular! But all in all a great game!

Edited by Amally

The first part of the game felt like a big tutorial, where the Story wasn't really relevant, but after the Wedding I wanted to keep playing on and on...

Btw, I somehow felt the extreme violence didn't really fit the game, but that could just be me.

I liked how the story was slightly over the top, yet still engaging. It reminded me of a lot of movies that I watched and liked. Also it never did get in the way of actual gameplay. A sequel isn't necessary imo for this game, as it usually just doesn't work as well as the original.

• 2 weeks later...

game was to short tbh was a good game i prefer the ps2 true crimes though i believe wei was in at least one of them. The story could easily continue as you pretty much only fought against your own triad and by the end Wei seemed to not care he was a cop anymore and seemed to start getting used to being a triad

Hello, first of all, ive just started the game, and i want to understand some things. Please dont spoil the end, and dont tell anything that will happen next.

Im in the mission where you go to club bam bam looking for benny, what have benny done to winston? Who is dogeyes? What is sum on yee? What is triads? Why are they looking for winston to arrest him?

I couldnt understand those things, im kinda lost in the story. Please dont spoil nothing that will happen on the future. ;)

Hello, first of all, ive just started the game, and i want to understand some things. Please dont spoil the end, and dont tell anything that will happen next.

Im in the mission where you go to club bam bam looking for benny, what have benny done to winston? Who is dogeyes? What is sum on yee? What is triads? Why are they looking for winston to arrest him?

I couldnt understand those things, im kinda lost in the story. Please dont spoil nothing that will happen on the future. ;)

These all unfold while you play, keep playing.

Where to start - The Triads are organised criminal gangs (do a little googling), dogeyes and winston are both up and coming triads who are both part of the sun on yee gang and are both fighting each other for control of the night market. They are trying to arrest him because he is a gangster/criminal. Benny was paying winston for protection but switched to dogeyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story was good but i think wei rose up through the ranks of the triads a little too fast. They were all like i dont trust this guy, then switched quickly to if anything happens to me you take over the gang. :rolleyes:

The ending was very brutal some interesting environmental kills in the last couple of missions.

I did think they could have left out the cut scene capture of pendrew and had it as dlc or maybe even a sequel.

• 2 weeks later...
Where to start - The Triads are organised criminal gangs (do a little googling), dogeyes and winston are both up and coming triads who are both part of the sun on yee gang and are both fighting each other for control of the night market. They are trying to arrest him because he is a gangster/criminal. Benny was paying winston for protection but switched to dogeyes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The story was good but i think wei rose up through the ranks of the triads a little too fast. They were all like i dont trust this guy, then switched quickly to if anything happens to me you take over the gang. :rolleyes:

The ending was very brutal some interesting environmental kills in the last couple of missions.

I did think they could have left out the cut scene capture of pendrew and had it as dlc or maybe even a sequel.

I like that idea about Pendrew. Personally I think the ending was a little too stupid, especially with Wei practically Superman (best I can say without spoilers).

To the guy who was confused, the Sun on Yea is like a giant Mafia family with the leader being the chairman or the dragon head and each of the Red Poles (guys like Winston and Dog Eyes, you will meet some more later Poppycock, Broken Nose Jiang, Henry "Big Smiles" Lee and "Two Chin" Tsao

Later on you will meet Guys like Sunny Wo who isn't a triad member, but finances the triad with triad members like Ricky. Personally I think Sunny is weirdo, but I think that was the point.

Edited by Johnny Bananas