Lightcore question.

woodman_76

I have seen there are some old and new Sky.landers with the "Lightcore" feature.

I know they can light up when they are on the Portal. But I have also seen that even the old characters cannot be used on the first game.

I don't understand the reason because it's only an internal structure difference, nothing about the memory chip.

Maybe they have some special feature in the game? :think:

I hope you are able to help me.

Thank you.

From the packaging, lightcore (Drobot), legendary (Stealth Elf), giants (all) and new figures (Chill for example) can't be used, but regular 2nd series ones can. Seems kind of weird that they wouldn't for the reason you gave but why go to the trouble to point it out on the package.

I can't technically confirm they don't work, Giants is my first Skylanders game, figured I'd post what I observed off the packs.

I have both games but have not tested with the first game (will replay the first game after I complete my nightmare run). I have Drobot from series 1 and 2. When used on the second game, both are exactly the same. There isn't any difference in the skill tree at all, no additional skill for the series 2 figure. The series 2 also does not offer an option to change skill path. (I don't know why this is so, but so far only a couple of my series 2 figures allow switching path.)

Btw, I am disappointed by the 'lightcore' part of the Drobot figure. Only one spot lights up on his back, kinda lame. I was hoping the eyes will light up, at the least. Even Tree Rex have 3 'lightcore' spots.

Edited by Pierce

All four Adventure Pack locations from Spyro's Adventure are compatible with Giants.

EDIT: I can confirm that both Lightcore Prism Break and Lightcore Eruptor are compatible with Spyro's Adventure, despite the claims on the packaging. I'd say it's safe to assume all Lightcore versions of Series 1 Skylanders will be compatible with Spyro's Adventure.

Edited by Kogoro

About the adventure packs, each one contains:

- 1 regular skylander figure. I suppose that must work in Giants just like any series 1 figure.

- 1 or 2 power-up figures. I've read that these work in Giants.

- 1 location figure, for unlocking that location in the first game. Surely these won't work in Giants, right? Or do they unlock those same locations and make them accessible in Giants?

The first game (Spyro's Adventure) does not have "Portal Owner Pack" or "Booster Pack". Since it was the first game, it only comes in "Starter Pack" which includes the portal and 3 figures. The portal in the first game is wireless. I found the battery life terrible, practically had to change a fresh set of batteries every day. The portal from the second game (Giants) is supposed to work in the first game and it is wired.

I have lightcore Drobot, tested and it works in the first game.

By the way, the first game has a level cap of 10, the second game at 15. If you have a figure that's above level 10 (leveled up using the second game), when you use it in the first game (assuming the figure is compatible), it will be shown as level 10. Later when you use that figure back in the second game, it will be back to the higher-than-10 level.

All three figurines from the Adventure Packs work in Giants, the location figurines do unlock their respective locations for play when placed on the Portal of Power. They also can be used as an item figure offering the player a special spell/ability while still placed on the Portal. The item figurines work basically as they did before, as far as I could tell. And, of course, the Skylanders are entirely compatible like any other Series 1 Skylander.

The original Portal of Power was... Bad, extremely bad. I had constant issues having it actually connect to the PS3, seemingly only wanting to work in one specific spot rather than anywhere within its wireless range. The wired Portal of Power from the Giants Starter Pack is 200% more useful. (Not to mention you effectively pay less per packaged item for the Starter Pack than you do the Portal Owners Pack...)

So the unlockable area in each Spyro's Adventure (game 1) adventure pack can be accessed when playing Giants (game 2). I didn't know that, looks like I should start getting those packs as well (I want Sunburn and Ghost Roaster anyway... though there's probably series 2 version coming).

Got a question about the adventure packs (lazy to start a new topic)... I collect all my figures in mint condition, I don't take the figures out from the packaging box. Putting the whole box on the portal works just fine, even for the triple character packs (just have to make sure the one I want to use is at the center of the portal).

The adventure packs are different. There is a character figure on the left and a location figure at the center, which shouldn't be a problem. Then there are 2 power-up figures on the right, 1 on top, 1 at the bottom. I know I can't use the one on top without opening the packaging box (the game doesn't recognise a figure in the box if you put the box flat on its back on the portal, it has to be upright). Question is, will I be able to use the one below without opening the box? Will the game complain that there are too many figures on the portal (cos the top figure interferes with the bottom)?

Saw the crypt pack at a good price and bot it. To answer my own questions: the power-up at the top right cannot be used without opening the packaging box but the one at the bottom right works, no interference. The location figure at the center (from a game 1 adventure pack) will unlock the location in Giants (game 2). You access that location from Chapter Select, unlike how the location is integrated into the first game.