Game for the hardcore?

InactiveFlea

First game had couple trophies that infuriated me, least for a little. I have not bought game yet, but i remember interview that they were gonna add harder settings because so many complained first one was to easy. I don't know if they did or not but i still wouldn't compare this to CoD or similar game.

And if you must know, first game.. getting to Kaos and killing him without switching characters sucked if you didn't use right character.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't call this a hardcore game at all but even on Normal difficulty, skill matters. You cannot hope to clear the levels by just Rambo-ing your way. You have to adapt to each type of enemy and use the right strategy - like if you have a mid-size enemy holding a shield, even if you are a high level giant character, don't try to just keep slamming him from the front, side step him, flank to his rear and hit him, that sort of thing... in other words, skills :) You have to know your characters, each one plays differently - melee, shooter, hack & slash, tank... even the same character plays differently depending on the skill path you choose and some gears (hat, charm).

So, yes, it is not difficult to complete the game, but you can't sleepwalk through it. It is also designed to be co-op, so if you have another player, it becomes easier. It is also, secretly or not, designed to sell the figures, so if you have more figures, the easier it is (each figure basically is an extra life, as you can swap in another figure when you get KO'ed to continue the level).

That's about completing the game. Plat'ing it is a different story. In both games, there are a few trophies that require multiple retries. iirc, in the first game, there's one for avoiding all lasers in a boss fight, avoiding or killing certain number of spawning sharks, and so on. In this second game, there's one for clearing the arena challenges (easy except the last ones, which is game over if you get hit once), one grinding trophy for $ amount, a couple of sort of on rail segments where you have to collect all of power up or kill all enemies of certain king.

And of course, the final boss trophy. In the first game, you have to complete the final boss without swapping character - certainly not easy. Doable the legit way if you go co-op. Or if you have the right figures, easier (like Terrafin, who can basically hide underground for a while). Or, as I discovered a trick, using certain character and a turbo controller (forgot the details, I posted in that forum). In this second game, just the reverse, you have to complete the game in nightmare difficulty. Good news is, you can swap in figures, as many as you need. Bad news is, you probably need that.

So, not difficult to complete in solo (skills needed), easier to complete in co-op, hard to plat.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd compare it to something like Gauntlet Legends, if you ever played that. It's a simple hack 'n slash with some magic sprinkled on top.

Skylanders is way more kiddie though, probably a 2 of 10 on the hardcore scale. Doesn't mean it isn't kind fun to play and pick up figures... half of the excitement might just be looking for/buying the characters locally and swapping them off the portal of power.