See any References

warturtle16

I have been playing this game about 5/6 hours and I can't shake off some of my impressions that make me laugh. Here are a couple of observations, feel free to point out more.

Ms. Fortune

-During her level one special, she will sometimes call out "Beserker Barrage" as if she were Wolverine in the VS. series.

-Her 9th color makes he look like Morrigan (from Dalkstalkers)

Filia

-Every time she is chosen, Samson always always says "Hell Yea!"

Cerebella

-Her 3rd color makes her look like Harley Quinn (Batman)

-During her j.HP she says "Smash!", which is (I think) in reference to Hulk (VS series) because he says "Smash" with j.H too

Valentine

-Either her 5th or 8th color make her look like Nurse Joy (from Pokemon) or it may just be a standard nurse outfit.

-Her 10th one also looks like Moriigan's (Dalkstalkers) colors

Parasoul

-Her 9th costume remind me A TON of Ms. Kneesocks (from an anime call "Panty and Stalking") and it makes me laugh every time

Anyone got anything else?

Filia's 9th palette is Vocaloid Miku.

Peacock's 9th palette is, I think, Cirno from the Touhou bullet hell games.

The steamroller Peacock drops with a level 2 charge is the famous attack from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (WRYYYYYYY).

Sometimes at the start of battle it'll reference other games intros. I can't remember exactly what it says but it makes a reference to "The Wheel of Fate is Turning" from BlazBlue as well as "It all depends on your skill!" from Street Fighter Alpha 3.

In one of the stages on the far right corner, theres a figher that suppose to be a parody of Ryu from Street Fighter.
Sitting right next to him is the sandbag. further in the background of that stage is none other than Mr. Thornburry.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/275165_100002597932346_6797151_n.jpg

I believe everyone's 9th palette is a reference

parasoul had a ZS Samus palette but I havent seen it in-game, maybe they took it out (I somewhat doubt its copyright with the more blatant palettes staying, maybe they just filled their limit and kept it for dlc)

theres also "ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE" from the announcer

I believe everyone's 9th palette is a reference

parasoul had a ZS Samus palette but I havent seen it in-game, maybe they took it out (I somewhat doubt its copyright with the more blatant palettes staying, maybe they just filled their limit and kept it for dlc)

theres also "ITS SUPER EFFECTIVE" from the announcer

No no, the palette issue goes like this:

- Characters have uneven amounts of color palettes, some much more than others.

- Developer decide to even down the available palettes for everyone.

- Publisher request that the amount of palettes is 9 and that the rest are sorted and used for future DLC colors.

- Developers convince publisher to release 10 palettes for each characters and accept to put the rest for DLC.

- Developer currently deciding if the palettes should be Free, Paid or Bundle with characters or other goodies as DLC.

- Developer would prefer free DLC but Publisher have the final word.

- All of this only apply if the game itself sell enough to convince the Publisher to pay for the DLC fee.

References, how about the myriad of 40's and 50's references from Peacock?

Sayings:

"Of course you realize, this means war."- Looney Tunes. Most famous due to it begin from Daffy Duck when Bugs would outsmart him or if he was outsmarted by another character.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a ham sammich today." - Wimpy from Popeye (original saying "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.")

"Goes down smooth." - reference to a cigarette advertisement, atm I don't remember what brand or if it's even from the 40's or 50's. My guess is neither decade.

Animations:

HK animation- reference to the famous Charlie Brown scene where Lucy always yanks the football from Charlie Brown before he kicks it. In fact one of her sayings with this animation is "Good grief."

MK animation- reference to slapstick comedy (g.e. the three stooges, Tom and Jerry) the loose floorboard or rake that often hits the person stepping on it or the person next to it.

MP animation- the infamous pie gag used from Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, The Three Stooges etc. the pie was often thrown into the face of an individual for comedic value.

LK animation- reference to classic cartoons (g.e. Tex Avery, Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry etc.) the eyes would often pop for dramatic effect. Famously used with guys when they see a very attractive woman. Or with Tom for the realization of impending harm or danger.

Pallettes

In particular only one strikes me, I believe it is number 8 where she is grayscale. This references the original cartoons and movies from the early 40's and 50's. Ranging all the way from Popeye to Disney.

Edited by DMatakami
spell check

There are probably hundreds of references to other games, movies, cartoons and anime in Skullgirls. Off the top of my head:

The "Real Circus Damage" trophy is a reference to Mike Z's strategy video for Tager (Real Soviet Damage)

Filia's victory pose is a reminiscent of Ryu's victory pose

Peacock's Argus Agony attack looks like one of the enemies from one of the Mega Man X4 (I think)

Peacock's robot helper thing Avery is a reference to Tex Avery, a famous cartoonist

Cerebella says "I'm gonna take you for a ride," a reference to Marvel vs. Capcom 2's character select screen

Filia's Gregor Samson attack is a reference to Franz Kafka's short story "The Metamorphosis"

Peacock intro line when fighting Valentine is "Heeeeelloooo nurse!" a reference to Animaniacs.

I thought Peacock was so filled with reference to mobster cartoon like mentality that is wasn't worth mentioning (since her character description says it all) but you know what, it was nice to realize what they all were. I also forgot the hello nurse call which is hilarious. This game is super fun and these little references make it better!

Found a new one with Double. When she states "A miserable little pile of secrets." at the end of a match, that is a reference to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Dracula says this the first time you face him with Richter.

This is also funny considering that the composer for the soundtrack to this game is the same one that did Symphony of the Night, Michiru Yamane.

Found a new one with Double. When she states "A miserable little pile of secrets." at the end of a match, that is a reference to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Dracula says this the first time you face him with Richter.

This is also funny considering that the composer for the soundtrack to this game is the same one that did Symphony of the Night, Michiru Yamane.

She actually can say the whole thing, since one of here intro quotes is "What is a man?" while one of her victory quotes is "A miserable little pile of secrets".

That explains why this game's soundtrack sounded like SOTN's soundtrack, and why I love the soundtrack so much.

Also, Valentine's knives super is similar to the same Jojo's character (Dio) posted earlier. Then again, it could be a reference to Sakuya in any of the Touhou fighting games, or some other fighting game character I dont know about . I'm just going with Dio because his signature "steamroller" move already appears.

Edited by NinjaSpy

@Arcade: Yeah that's more or less what I meant lol

They had a surplus, so they held on to some for later

On topic:

Fortune can say "Can I HAVE a cheeseburger?"

One of Peacock's intro's for VS Filia is "Maybe she's born with it", a reference to a shampoo slogan from the 90's, the other half of the quote is "Maybe its Maybelline [the product name]"

A couple more I noticed...

The Double character trophy, "Toil and Trouble," is a reference to MacBeth, Act 4, Scene 1.

During Parasoul's Silent Scope blockbuster she says "Ready, number 13." This is probably a reference to anime classic Golgo13

Ms. Fortune's Fiber Uppercut is a reference to Sagat's Tiger Uppercut.

When Marie summons ghosts/skeletons/dragon-skeleton-things she sometimes says "Rise from your grave." Altered Beast reference.

A couple more I noticed...

The Double character trophy, "Toil and Trouble," is a reference to MacBeth, Act 4, Scene 1.

During Parasoul's Silent Scope blockbuster she says "Ready, number 13." This is probably a reference to anime classic Golgo13

Ms. Fortune's Fiber Uppercut is a reference to Sagat's Tiger Uppercut.

When Marie summons ghosts/skeletons/dragon-skeleton-things she sometimes says "Rise from your grave." Altered Beast reference.

I only got the last one until you pointed them out. Great finds. Now I love Parasoul even more just for the Golgo 13 reference.

Wow...that's so interesting. I never really noticed any of this. Lol. But now that you guys mention these, I'm feeling pretty duh. So we got references from beauty products to Shakespeare plays to cartoons and games.

I wonder if someone will ever make a FAQ about all the references...

Well, uh, Ms Fortune does have a winning quote where she says ''claws encounters of the furred kind''. Or something like that. Well if everything in this game is a reference, this is most likely referring to Bubsy Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind, a platformer for SNES and SEGA, where you control a bobcat. (a franchise with a bad reputation, too)

I've never heard Double say the what is a man quote...then again I have a bit of a hard time understanding her, with the voice they gave her. SotN is one of my fave games ever, I now feel shamed haha. (the PSP port dialogue sucks)

Filia's Gregor Samson attack is a reference to Franz Kafka's short story "The Metamorphosis"

...wow. That's probably the most obscure reference out of all of these I can think of.

EDIT Oh I think I found another. Speaking of Castlevania.

Check out this enemy from Castlevania Portrait of Ruin. Her name is Persephone, kinda looks like Marie's gettup, no?

http://www.castlevaniacrypt.com/games/por/images/art/persephone-01.jpg

Edited by Dancing Mad

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple more because all the references to other media is fun:

-Almost all of Peacock's win quotes are from 1930s-40s comedy and cartoons. A bunch of them are from Marx Brothers movies, one is from Bugs Bunny (bonus: Tex Avery created Bugs Bunny)

-Valentine's idle animate is almost exactly like Mai Shiranui's from King of Fighters, bounciness and all.

-Filia's hairball special looks like classic Sonic the Hedgehog spindash

-When Peacock says "A puddy tat!" when fighting Ms. Fortune. Ms. Fortune responds with "Thufferin' thuccotash!" This is a classic Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies reference.

• 3 weeks later...

What about the code input for the 10th colour of all characters. It is the same code for extra colours on the snes version of street fighter 2. Down, R1, up, L1, square, x on skullgirls ps3. Down, R, up, L, y, b on snes sf2 when the capcom logo appears on load. Y and B are in the same position on the snes controller as square and x on the ps controller