Who else is excited for this game?

Jerry Appleby

I can't wait for this game to come out!! I love doing these types of puzzles and I used to do them in puzzle books all the time, and I still do them occasionally!

(They're also called Picross, Griddlers, Nonograms, Hanjie, etc.)

Nonogram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

^Here's a link that describes what these types of puzzles are. Does anyone else here enjoy them as much as me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jerry, thank you for posting the wikipedia page, now I know what this game is about. I used to love attempting the picross games in Games Magazine and this is the exact same thing with trophies (even if its only 8)

It will be harder than the old Games Magazine printed version (I always peeked at the answers :o) but I will give it a try

Just be warned that the game gets ridiculously hard on later levels, I'm on level 36 (Hard) right now and, honestly, was so stressful that I'm inclined to just quit. If the 20x20 are this hard I can't even imagine the nightmare the 30x30 will be :(

By the way, I'm not a nonogram noob, have played them quite a bit over the years.

Edited by Misantropus

Just be warned that the game gets ridiculously hard on later levels, I'm on level 36 (Hard) right now and, honestly, was so stressful that I'm inclined to just quit. If the 20x20 are this hard I can't even imagine the nightmare the 30x30 will be :(

By the way, I'm not a nonogram noob, have played them quite a bit over the years.

I see ggamer has cleared it in about 3 hours.

I assume that you can use the online automated solvers

Free nonogram, griddler, picross puzzle solver!

Interesting, didn't even know about those things (should have as I'm used to Chessmaster my way out of chess games).

Then this one has just become a 1 in 100% difficulty rating :applause:

I followed a guide for the whole thing. :o From what the guy who did it all told me I don't think some of the levels would work in an online solver (or if that one would even one that would work for this). He said that some of the puzzles don't work out just from numbers, so you basically have to guess sometimes. Same thing happens with Frenzy mode, since those puzzles are randomized half the time (even on easy difficulty) it gives you puzzles where you have to guess to get it right. You can't follow a guide for those ones either, so you somewhat have to know what you're doing.

If you were to use one of those solvers it would takes hours and hours to do, because even if it does work you'd have to type everything in, then spend the time putting it all in.

Edited by Gage

I followed a guide for the whole thing. :o From what the guy who did it all told me I don't think some of the levels would work in an online solver (or if that one would even one that would work for this). He said that some of the puzzles don't work out just from numbers, so you basically have to guess sometimes. Same thing happens with Frenzy mode, since those puzzles are randomized half the time (even on easy difficulty) it gives you puzzles where you have to guess to get it right. You can't follow a guide for those ones either, so you somewhat have to know what you're doing.

If you were to use one of those solvers it would takes hours and hours to do, because even if it does work you'd have to type everything in, then spend the time putting it all in.

I can confirm that, several puzzles have multiple numerical solutions, so sometimes I had to find ANOTHER solution to finish it properly. Usually I did that based on the picture but sometimes it was hard because wasn't always clear what the intended shape should be.

I love nonograms but it's hell to do this one legit.

Yeah, it does get quite hard, but my goal is to beat it without a guide, and I'm almost done!!

On book 10, puzzle 2 (47-50) currently! :)

Although as others have posted, some puzzles have multiple solutions due to poor programming, so you have to guess at them to get it right.

The 2 most annoying ones that come to mind are the ice cream puzzle and the car due to some annoying randomly placed blocks.

Nope, won't work due to bad programming of this game. A lot of puzzles have multiple answers, and you have to use the picture formed to guess what the actual solution will be. As a result, putting this into a solver will not compute since the solver cannot solve something that has multiple solutions.

Once there is a visual puzzle guide, the game is easily a 1/10. But for someone like myself who refuses to cheat at a game like this, I would probably rate it a 5/10. (I do these things almost every day for fun, so others might rate it higher.)

Once there is a visual puzzle guide, the game is easily a 1/10. But for someone like myself who refuses to cheat at a game like this, I would probably rate it a 5/10. (I do these things almost every day for fun, so others might rate it higher.)

I'd say I'd be maybe a 2 or 3 max, but not a one. :p You can't follow a guide through frenzy, and like I said before because of how random it is you actually need to know somewhat how to play the game. I was thoroughly frustrated for a bit when I was starting doing it because of how often it gives you puzzles where you have to guess the entire thing, but after a while it gets easier.

I'd say I'd be maybe a 2 or 3 max, but not a one. :p You can't follow a guide through frenzy, and like I said before because of how random it is you actually need to know somewhat how to play the game. I was thoroughly frustrated for a bit when I was starting doing it because of how often it gives you puzzles where you have to guess the entire thing, but after a while it gets easier.

Says the guy who cheated his way through the game. :p

Those frenzy trophies were the first 2 I unlocked lol. I bet if you actually did the puzzles legit, you would've found frenzy mode extremely easy!

My best was 27 frenzy puzzles done in a row :D

Luckily the most you need is 5 in a row though.

The only slightly annoying thing is when you get a puzzle that has 4+ different solutions and you don't get enough time to try them all :(

But getting 5 in a row comes naturally by playing through to the 100 played.

Even with solutions the time limit for some of the puzzles is still really tight. Like the camera and sky line.

And yeah that ice cream puzzle took me like an hour, stupid texture lines and the car, I thought those birds were supposed to be clouds so that took awhile too

Oh and frenzy mode is just stupid, it's luck based if you get a puzzle with multiple solutions. Luckily it's not 100 in a row for the trophy

Edited by MrUnknown625

I've only spent a few hours on it, playing the puzzles on whatever the default setting is (easy? normal?) and if you let the par time run out you can check your work and process of elimination will eventually get you there is you are really stuck. Also, the camera on the Vita has come in handy once I figure out a weird one (like "The Ant" in what world is that an ant?), just snap a still and go back in and do it under par time again.

I assume these are the same puzzles for hard mode but given a time limit, right? I assume that's how the game works..so I am figuring them all out and then going for hard so I don't feel rushed and so far the first half of the puzzles have had ample par times on the difficulty I am playing.

If hard has all different puzzles than I will regret my tactics and might be looking for this guide you mention

I've only spent a few hours on it, playing the puzzles on whatever the default setting is (easy? normal?) and if you let the par time run out you can check your work and process of elimination will eventually get you there is you are really stuck. Also, the camera on the Vita has come in handy once I figure out a weird one (like "The Ant" in what world is that an ant?), just snap a still and go back in and do it under par time again.

I assume these are the same puzzles for hard mode but given a time limit, right? I assume that's how the game works..so I am figuring them all out and then going for hard so I don't feel rushed and so far the first half of the puzzles have had ample par times on the difficulty I am playing.

If hard has all different puzzles than I will regret my tactics and might be looking for this guide you mention

The only difference with hard mode is that you can't use the "check" feature to see what you're missing, and also that once the time ends, you fail.

3 puzzles left until I get 100% :dance:

• 1 month later...