The Last Silent Game?

NiNeTeeN69

Do you think Downpour will be the last SH game? The game got a horrible review also Akira Yamaoka left the team. Konami just seems to be getting a little lazy, the HD collection was delayed for almost 6 months and it still had major problems.

Im a huge Silent Hill fan but im worried its days are numbered.

We may not see another SH game till Next Gen.

what do you guys think?

Do you think Downpour will be the last SH game? The game got a horrible review also Akira Yamaoka left the team. Konami just seems to be getting a little lazy, the HD collection was delayed for almost 6 months and it still had major problems.

Im a huge Silent Hill fan but im worried its days are numbered.

We may not see another SH game till Next Gen.

what do you guys think?

I hope not, Downpour was a great game and this is a great series.. This is saying a lot since I haven't loved a SH game since Team Silent broke up. Downpour is the first time I finished a silent hill game since 4

Downpour was a step in the right direction (The direction in returning the series to its roots)

I think the general consensus is that IGN's review on this game was overly harsh and undue, and other bad reviews were knee jerk reactions to the game. If you check out Silent Hill Fan sites or user reviews on Amazon, the consensus is that this game is at least an 8.5 out of 10.

Konami had this whole plan for "Silent Hill March Madness" with 3 SH releases in one month. I'm sure the HD REMASTER got rushed so they could meet this arbitrary target release date.

Even if they postponed the release date, not sure If it would have helped though... they commissioned a shitty mobile game developer to do the HD remaster. Seriously they are absolutely awful at picking developers.

(HiJinx Studios major previous release: Frogger Returns for DS.)

I wouldn't feel bad if everyone at HiJinx lost their jobs.

Edited by vilkit

I don't think they should reboot the franchise, or even do a remake of the first one. Maybe just giving it back to Japanese developers is enough. The franchise doesn't have to go back to a rebuilt Team Silent, the franchise just needs to pop back over to its country of origin so they can have another go.

I did enjoy Downpour, and thought it was the best of the western bunch, so I wouldn't mind seeing Vatra take another crack at it, while learning from their own mistakes (but they did do well to avoid other western dev mistakes).

The big problem is that Silent Hill is not a massively selling franchise, that could see a more frequent game release, seeing as there was 4 years between Homecoming and Downpour.

I think that due to Konami still hoping about between different developers, we will likely see another Silent Hill. But it will be 3-4 years before that happens.

That's a great point. By the way, if you're a silent hill fan you should really watch the 'making of' featurettes for both SH2 and SH3. (They're both on youtube)

It's amazing watching the original creators talk about how much symbolism they inject in this game, the philosophies that inspired them, as well as the artists that influenced their work.

Excessively using symbolism is something that I've noticed from all my Japanese friends.. It might be a cultural thing so you're right. Origins & Homecoming were huge mistakes because they didn't give a shit about symbolism, they just redid the older games by the numbers.

I'm not saying westerners can't use symbolism in their art, but they seem to care less about it as demonstrated by previous games. They should at least get people on the team that have similar influences as the original team members. If I was hiring people I'd make sure that they were cut from the same cloth creatively as the original team silent.

At least Vatra games did some symbolism in Downpour, so it's a step in the right direction but I'd still prefer Japanese developers to handle this series.

It's really neat watching Japanese distorted take on American suburban life as well. There is this unreal quality to their depiction of small town American life that just added to the creepiness.

Edited by vilkit

Yeah you can certainly see a transition from thought provoking to generic when the game came from japan and then US.

I had watched the SH2 making of when i had the special edition, but didn't see the SH3 one. I'll definitely check that out.

the series does not need a reboot. unlike resident evil.

and I dont mind not seeing a new game every year. At least is still silent Hill.

Just look at Resident Evil, capcom wants Call of Duty numbers when selling their games, and look what they did to Resident Evil. I don't think anybody here wants a Silent Hill shooter, or yes?

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha oh god no, just no it will last a long time and again for the billionth time Akira said he would be more then glad to do the music for any Silent Hill game if asked to. Also just because some people don;t like all of the games made doesnt mean that the games still aren't really good, because I have loved every game that has been made so far. Also a reboot would suck, and a do over or anything like that, though if they want doing a SM type game everynow and then wouldn't be bad because that game was just amazingly great.

So there should be another Silent Hill game with in the next year or two.

Oh and most reviews for the game where good reviews, just because the worst and most idiotic game site gave it a bad review doesn't mean thats what everyone else gave it.

Hahaha oh god no, just no it will last a long time and again for the billionth time Akira said he would be more then glad to do the music for any Silent Hill game if asked to. Also just because some people don;t like all of the games made doesnt mean that the games still aren't really good, because I have loved every game that has been made so far. Also a reboot would suck, and a do over or anything like that, though if they want doing a SM type game everynow and then wouldn't be bad because that game was just amazingly great.

So there should be another Silent Hill game with in the next year or two.

Oh and most reviews for the game where good reviews, just because the worst and most idiotic game site gave it a bad review doesn't mean thats what everyone else gave it.

Really he said that? Then why wasn't he involved in Downpour? IF it's because of Konami, then they're morons. I always thought Akira was just ready to move on.

I don't understand why SM gets a bad rap. I enjoyed that game.

Really he said that? Then why wasn't he involved in Downpour? IF it's because of Konami, then they're morons. I always thought Akira was just ready to move on.

I don't understand why SM gets a bad rap. I enjoyed that game.

Not sure, either because they didn't ask or because he was working on that one game at the time, but I still hope that they will ask him for the next game at least.

No clue either, hell the creators of the game stated that it was overall a love letter to the fans thing, that and it is easily one of the most creepy of the silent hill games.

• 2 weeks later...

How could it be the last Silent Hill game with Silent Hill Book Of Memories already in sight? (Even if delayed to autumn.)

Of course, I'd love to see the series go on, but to be honest, I didn't think Downpour was all that good. Weakest SH game so far as far as the main series is concerned. Except for the too many technical issues, it's still a very likable game, though, so that says a lot about the franchise, I think.

• 3 weeks later...
How could it be the last Silent Hill game with Silent Hill Book Of Memories already in sight? (Even if delayed to autumn.)

Of course, I'd love to see the series go on, but to be honest, I didn't think Downpour was all that good. Weakest SH game so far as far as the main series is concerned. Except for the too many technical issues, it's still a very likable game, though, so that says a lot about the franchise, I think.

Really too many? it barely had any problems for me and the ones it had could barely matter, about 5 parts where it slowed down and hicuped abit and that is only when a sidequest got finished and it was getting that logged in, autosaving it and poping the trophy all at once.

Though I think what you think about the game puts you in a small number, lots of people I'v talked to about the game think this is one of the best SH games in awhile, and I have to agree, it is a great game, only thing it failed on was the monsters, a few normalish ones would have been fine but when you don't have your mind implode by just looking at a silent hill monster, it isn't done right.

But story, characters, setting and even the music where top notch, I think the game easily blew out Homecoming, 3 and even 0irgins which i love alot.

• 3 weeks later...

Mortal Kombat was in a similar boat. Midway were churning out crap after crap untill last year, were its since released a solid iteration on both the consoles & the Vita. SH like MK has a cult fanbase, so there will always be a demand for it.

MK however became relevant again on the back of a resurgence in fighting games. If Survival horror somehow regains some precedence over Action based games then im certain we'll be seein more of SH & with a better developer :cool:.

• 2 weeks later...
Origins & Homecoming were huge mistakes because they didn't give a shit about symbolism, they just redid the older games by the numbers.

There was still a lot of metaphorical and symbolic stuff going on. Personally, I think a lot of people didn't even bother to take second glance at these games because they weren't giving them any chance to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I imagine we will see another one, but it just might be a long time coming since SH fans are pretty convinced that every new title is the worst one to date.

It is too bad. Playing the HD collection this week even more made me appreciate Downpour. I was looking at SH2 all these years through rose colored glasses. The game really is one of the best in the series I think and I am not sure why it has all the hate it does. I would easily buy another title by the same team on release, but alas, I am thinking it did not do so well.

Most likely not, but I probably won't be buying the next one. I don't know what exactly made Silent 1-4 so captivating to play (nostalgia factor aside), but these new editions just aren't good imo.

Book of Memories makes me want to facepalm. I understand spinoffs, but this could be a good contender for being the worst SH.

• 1 month later...
everything that is not a call of duty IGN will give a 2.5/10.

an hd remake of 1 and 4 would be good, at least to me, and a new game every year too

I wanna see 1 and Shattered Memories. not in HD though.

I wish we could get old classic games that truly represented the genre itself instead of.creating failed attempts to bring back the old feel with new features.

I imagine we will see another one, but it just might be a long time coming since SH fans are pretty convinced that every new title is the worst one to date.

It is too bad. Playing the HD collection this week even more made me appreciate Downpour. I was looking at SH2 all these years through rose colored glasses. The game really is one of the best in the series I think and I am not sure why it has all the hate it does. I would easily buy another title by the same team on release, but alas, I am thinking it did not do so well.

SH2 looks horrible in HD since it ruins the creepy disgusting scenery which intimidates the gamer before the real horror starts. I would've rather have liked it to be kept in original quality but add some 3D effects to it so pops.out and scares the shit out of u. Silent Hill Downpour had a good decent story but it needed Pyramid Head.

Most likely not, but I probably won't be buying the next one. I don't know what exactly made Silent 1-4 so captivating to play (nostalgia factor aside), but these new editions just aren't good imo.

Book of Memories makes me want to facepalm. I understand spinoffs, but this could be a good contender for being the worst SH.

lol. I want to see a remake of Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I've been reading this article about sacriest games and that game I wouldn't mind playing. its really scary or so I've read. lol.

if anyone is interested on more scary-like games I'll share the link.

Edited by Roronora_Zoro666