Silent Hill Downpour Question for Australians!

MAXout

Hey everyone!

As the title says, this question is for Australians only.

I purchased Silent Hill: Downpour today from JB HiFi.

When I got back to my car I took the game out of the bag and what did I notice first off? The game was imported as it has a Region 2 coding.

This surprised the hell out of me as JB don't do imports.

EB games, Game, JB HiFi and other stores like Big W and Kmart don't get imports, the only place I know that does is Game Traders.

Has any one else bought from any of the stores I've mentioned and has a Region 2 (or other) coding? I'm just wondering (as it is very unusual for JB) if perhaps everyone else got this game imported or if there IS a Region 4 (Australian region) game out there?

Thanks!

Hmm, this is unusual.

My thought is that they are buying them online cheaper to make more of a profit, which makes me so mad!

When I noticed this, I took my copy of Silent Hill back to JB and said sorry I want a refund. I pay extra from local retailers to get an australian rating. I can get a different region game online much cheaper. They didn't say anything to that. :p

They made the excuse that there was only a limited amount of region 4 copies.

Biggest load of crap! :p

• 1 month later...

He wasn't lying. Technically there is no Region 4 copy of Downpour, just like there is no Region 2 version either. The game isn't actually region locked at all. And it's the same sold everywhere, which is why you're getting the same answer from everyone that they have the same copy.

I just saw this and had to laugh (and bump the topic up). You've returned the exact same game you'd get anywhere.

They weren't purchased "online" for more profit - it's exactly what NamcoBandai Australia brought into the country (they're Konami's Sub-Distributer in the Australia/NZ region).

It's also why there is limited number of the game in stock. Some developers, and Konami frequently is one, don't pay for extra prints to be done in Australia for the local market and just send extra copies from Europe because the game is the same. It'd just be a waste of time and money.

I purchased my copy of Downpour (and even Homecoming back in 09) from local stores here and they had UK listed Region 2 covers. Same with MGSHD collection that came out earlier this year. But it's the same unlocked PS3 disc. On the disc itself... well...

The biggest joke about this is frequently the covers by some companies maybe printed specifically for Australia with a region marker on the back, but the disc inside is printed for use in all PAL regions. You can tell this because frequently they have 4 or 5 different rating labels, including the AU one, printed into the actual disc label.

This means even if you purchased a copy in the UK and a copy in AU, with two different covers, you'd find the discs located inside are identical. And you'd be wasting your money.

Also you missed out on a decent game.

• 1 month later...