Power levelling to 70 via failed combo challenges

Having just gotten level 70 and my 100% for this game, I thought I'd share a power levelling method I discovered.

I was working my way through one of the higher zones (around 75), and ran into another combo challenge. I noticed that when I failed it, the challenge reset. I decided to see if I could rapidly kill all the monsters over and over. I whipped out the Princess Heart, and went to town on them. The XP poured in while doing it. I began to experiment to find the most efficient way of farming monsters. Obviously, you need the DLC (or have someone give you a PH) to do this.

I would park myself in a spot that gives me easy coverage of the room while staying away from the enemies, lest they hit my during my sweep. I kept shooting over and over until I hit a "crit" stream, instantly killing enemies over and over. I kept the beam going by hitting the repair kit while holding the fire button. I used up all four kits and put the Princess Heart into the red before stopping. I had gone up two levels in five minutes. Eureka.

Unfortunately, combo challenges are very rare. This is also depending on getting decent enemy spawns. Pyramid Heads are actually a problem due to the Tremers they summon, slowing you down. Bogeymen are a deal-breaker. On my last run, I had two Schisms and one Needler spawning near an Invincibility plate on zone 120. I had to time it just right to kill them all before one touches the plate and screws it up. Standing on the plate myself wasn't practical. I went from level 53 to level 70 in about 4 1/2 hours, generally gaining one level per 4-kit run.

Here's the problem: As you kill more and more enemies, the game tries to keep track of all these corpses, even though the bodies appear removed. If a trap triggers, it tries to take all these into account when doing the fancy lighting effects. If you've killed too many enemies in the room when the trap triggers, the game will crash! The game will run itself out of memory, possibly giving you a scary plain-text error message in-game. If this happens, you lose all your progress since you saved. If an enemy hits it during your farming session, and the framerate drops to a slideshow, it's time to stop and save.

My advice is to only do a 4-kit crit-stream run, go restock on kits, save, quit, and reload the level. Make sure you stay in the same zone! This will reset the level. Enemies such as Raw Shocks and those in empty rooms will respawn, so make sure you deal with them first. You don't want a Bogeyman walking in on you and messing you up.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also used this method too, worked great! I happen to find the perfect spot during my run through Zone 99. One of the orbs was get a 2x combo and Pyramid Head was one of the enemies in the room so I just cleared the room, then started it again until I hit Level 70. I think I was Level 49 when I started and it took a few days. Didn't do it in one sitting of course, just played other games & turned my Vita on now and again to grind like 2 levels then turned it back off. I filled my inventory with Princess Hearts and also had to Save & Quit whenever the framerate went insane.

Just note: you can actually interrupt Pyramid Head's brief invincibility he goes into when he starts summoning the tremers. Simply use the power R+Down I think. What it does is freezes all enemies in the room and then you can carry on attacking him! If he goes into it again, just repeat. It's super easy this way and no waiting for him & it will also decrease the lag you'll get cause you won't have those tremers roaming around that he summons. Be sure to exit and re-enter the room every time you fail as well. If you just start the challenge again without leaving the room, in my game the small tremers would spawn at the beginning for some reason but if I left the room & came back in then started it, they didn't :)

I did encounter a weird glitch during my last few levels which happened twice. After killing Pyramid Head like usual, he would still wonder around the room and be able to attack me but I couldn't harm him and I would just pass through him as though he wasn't there. He got me once when this happened & I had to reload to get rid of him lol Pretty strange.

Thanks sternn

• 3 months later...

It works!

However I've found myself in a room with a Pyramid Head and a Butcher and sometimes when I kill the Butcher with the Princess Heart at the same time his great cleaver hits something (or me) the game crashes!!

<error (c2-12828-1)>

This has happened to me in earlier zones too, weird :|

• 1 month later...

This method worked really well for me, but it wasn't a 4-5 hour thing like others have been saying. My enemies were a Straight-Jacket and 3 Nurses on Zone 105, so maybe I wasn't getting as much exp from 'em, but 42 to 70 took me... probably about 12 hours total if I were to guess. Up to 60 was insanely fast but then slowed to a crawl, eventually taking about 5-6 runs per level. Still though, way more simple and probably a lot faster than any other method! :)

• 3 years later...

For those interested I have recorded a video showing this -

It took me about 20 minutes to level up from 43 - 44 (3x levels per hour). I used dual Princess Hearts and just spammed L1 to lock-on to targets. When I first discovered this Orb Challenge there was a "Butcher" and "Pyramid Head" however after a few reloads it only spawned "Nurses" as shown in the video.

Because I am aiming for 100% and only on Zone 53 I am going to Farm XP in this zone until I reach Level 55 and then continue playing until I reach Zone 100 which should also bring me up to about Level 70 as well.

Edited by xblakestone