How does shifting notes work exactly?

YenRou

So I've been reading the ending guide on relyonhorror.com and so I think I understood the mechanics pretty well.

1. Obtain challenge notes.

2. Do "task 1" to shift world note to light.

2. Do "task 2" to shift world note to blood.

3. Repeat until I have 3-5 of the desired notes.

4. Defeat boss to shift boss note to desired note.

Rinse and repeat for each zone (wood, water, light etc.)

My question is actually about the challenges themselves.

What I'm thinking is that there's 3 challenge notes for each zone (fire, wood, light etc.) and each of these zones have 3 minor zones (Fire = Zones 1, 2, 3).

1. To work on the challenge notes for these zones, do I have to actually be in the fire zone? Or can it be done in the other zones as well?

2. When do I know when it will shift the world note?

*SPOILER*

3. The first ending I unlocked was with 5 light notes and 1 blood note, in the end the protagonist is in the hospital weakened by helping others. He overhears a conversation about a sick girl and decides to save her. In the process he dies.

Which ending is that exactly? According to relyonhorror it should be pure.

Thanks in advance guys!

• 3 months later...

The guide is definitely not 100% accurate. It doesn't mention anything besides just playing this way or that way will shift the notes a certain way. I just set out to get all of the endings, and since I naturally earned ending 5 I went to the first realm to change it to blood (since it was light) in order to get ending 4. I played the first zone without using the flashlight, did not complete the mission, and I used the hint lever. I then went to the guardian battle, and sure enough it changed to blood. So then I go and defeat the steel guardian, but I earned ending 3. I thought I had five light boss notes, but apparently I must have had four to have gotten ending 3. OK, so I go back to the first zone and in order to change it back to light so that I can earn ending 4 I use my flashlight, I completed the mission, and I did not use the hint lever. None of the notes change to light. OK... so I do the same for zone 2. No change. The same for zone 3. Yet again no change. I started the whole process with pretty high blood karma, so I went to zone 16 and got myself to light karma to see if that would make a difference. I went back to zone one and after completing it, the note changed back to light. So then I go and defeat the steel guardian, and I get ending 5. I check my list and I have four light notes and two blood, as I originally thought I had. Yet it gives me ending 5. And of course, if I change one of them to blood, I end up with three of each note and ending 3. There's definitely some element of the ending process missing here.