How to fix the cameras?

predxeno

I'm attempting my 10 star run, but the cameras are positioned poorly; when I enter a hallway, I can't see what's in front of me and this lets enemies easily hurt me. I see videos of players changing the direction of the camera, how do they do that? I've heard you can change the View Mode to "Switch" in Extra Options, what does that do?

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you still need answers to your questions, but I'll try to explain it to the best of my knowledge. As far as the game design goes, the obstructed view and camera is intentional. The developers always stated that if you can't see what's in front of you, it will induce more fear. Worked well when it came out in 2001, but maybe not so well in 2015 :p

You can reposition the camera behind James by holding L2, although it won't work in areas where the camera is static / fixed. In other words; it won't work as well in indoor areas, as there are a lot of tight corridors and walls the camera can "crash" into, which will prevent it from repositioning. Again, this is intentional! While holding down L2, you can also use the right stick to look around, which might help you get a better view of the area you are in.

Not sure what that "switch mode" you are refering to in extra options is, as I have never used it. I've always used L2 to "reset" the camera. Alternatively, if you can't turn the camera, ready your weapon and if there is an enemy within shooting distance James will lock onto it. This can help determine if there are any unseen dangers ahead that you need to be aware of.

I don't know what else to tell you, other than to keep at it. If you are attempting a 10 star run, you should have memorised where most of the enemies are by now, making it a bit easier to predict when you should ready your weapon immediately after entering a door.

Just out of curiosity, how well are you doing in terms of kills, damage taken and playthrough time?