Originals OR the technically inferior HD collection but with trophies?

SubZero89

If you can, I'd say go with the original versions. However, it's not always that easy to just get those games and also have the means of playing them. I just mean, I still have the original games and my PS2 (which may or may not still work properly), but I only have an HD TV. My old SD TV died on me, and playing old PS2 games on the TV I have now makes them look so painfully blurry that I can't really play them anymore either way (on the plus side; I might be able to get my hands on an SD TV again in the near future).

So yeah, if you can't play the original versions (and now I see your new post about not owning a PS2 yourself), I'd say wait and see what others have to say. I can't really say yes or no, as I have played the original games before, and right now the HD collection doesn't do them justice (imo). They're technically the same games, yes. But part of the original games' atmosphere is lost (and the atmosphere in these games matters very much), so to me they're not actually the same games, but inferior versions which I have no interest in.

If that makes any sense at all, I'm not very good at explaining what I mean here... anyway, I guess another thing is how much the addition of trophies matter to you. It doesn't make any difference to me, but I'm sure it matters to some people.

PS: Aren't there also PC versions of both SH2 and SH3? I'm pretty sure they exist, but I dunno how good those PC ports are. Maybe someone else here will know.

^ Could be, but I was wondering more about how the controls are. That's usually the complaint I see most often about PC ports; "Not as fun with a keyboard!" I never had too much trouble with keyboard-gaming myself, though.

And of course, do these games still work properly on modern PC's? That's usually the complaint I most often make myself :p (so many old PC games which are difficult to get working now *sniff*).

The collection seems the convenient way of playing these games whether theres bugs or not. Theres no way im going through the hassle of tracking down an old playstation & the games wen i will barely use it. Its madness, especially wen the collection releases tommorow lol.

Can u elaborate on how the atmosphere is lost plz? They're the exact same games :think:

Can u elaborate on how the atmosphere is lost plz? They're the exact same games :think:

It's quite hard to explain without pointing out things which I think might somewhat spoil the experience if you haven't played the games before.

But uhm, basically;

- The original games had a fog effect which would make things quite hard to see in outside areas, adding more tension as you hear monster noises in the fog and wonder how close they are. In the HD collection, the fog effect is reduced (unintentionally, I'm guessing) and you can see quite a bit further than you could in the orignal games. So obviously that tension is reduced as well.

There are also parts in the games where the reduced fog allows you to see unfinished parts of the scenery, which were completely hidden by the fog in the original version.

- In the original games there are areas which are meant to look dirty/covered in dust (or worse; blood and rust). These textures were cleaned up in the HD collection to look more high-quality, but they cleaned them up so much that sometimes you don't even notice the more disturbing parts of the scenery anymore (it's as if they literally "cleaned" those areas, lol).

- There are also some sound issues; I've read about some sound effects missing in scenes where those sound effects are supposed to make the scene more unnerving. I think this is also a glitch, rather than a deliberate change, but I'm not sure.

These kind of things definitely ruin part of the original atmosphere (at least for me, but clearly for many other people too). And this is why I certainly don't think they're the "exact same games". Even the original art director commented on screenshots from the HD collection with an "OMG!"

If you're gonna get them anyway, I'd say just play the games first and when you've finished them, you can check some in-depth comparisons which point out some very good examples of reduced atmosphere (but some are spoilerific).

This kind of talk always makes me more curious and anxious to try out something more so than had I not read the warning at all.

It's kind of like Clash of the Titans. I watched that and thought, oh man they sure fucked up this classic. Then I went back and watched the original claymation Clash and I'm like, okay, woah, maybe we did take some steps toward progress...

I think what gets me, the reason I'd like to try them is one: I've already finished both and did so quite thoroughly when I was a lot younger, so I'd be hoping to be getting the same experience, just a bit differently. Kind of like liking apples but I only knew red apple and now someone brought me a green apple.

Only problem before I even take a bit of the green apple every tells me that it's going to be sour. Yech! Why'd you grow it then!? FFS.

And number 2 reason, because the "speed run" trophies actually sound fun, but I'm not sure how much leeway you actually are granted so it might not be THAT fun... but better draw distance would make the speed run time even more obtainable... so on the fence I sit. For a long time, probably.

See this thread: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/silent-hill-2-hd/151804-reconsider-buying-hd-versions.html for details of just badly they've screwed up the atmosphere. The games are so bright in places they're not even remotely scarey.

I would avoid reading the review which I linked to in that thread for those who haven't played the games before, though. It shows things which are kinda spoilerific (nothing really major, but "your mileage may vary", as they say on TVtropes). *Hey, I forgot to mention that in my original post (time for a late edit!). Pretty much the reason why I didn't refer to that thread, maybe there's a bit too much info in there for those who don't know the games at all? I'm not too sure... http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/Tatshyana/Smileys%20and%20Gifs/SweatdropSmiley.gif

Edited by Xernova

Did I mention how I found the cover arousing....

It sure is a nice cover;

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/Tatshyana/Misc/SilentHillHDwtfcover.jpg

This "new cover" seems to be spreading fast. Sadly, that's not a good thing either.

Can't help but find this version funny, though. At least one thing about the collection which makes me smile. :p

Iv read somewhere that the EU version is glitch free! & apparently the fog is just the same as the original, no audio problems either from wt iv read. Im getting it tommorow (UK) so ill report back if theirs any issues :p

I just started playing my EU copy.

Hulett the bald fucker lied to us again.

The EU version didn't require a patch, but the framerate problem persists, the fog is all screwed up and looks like blocks, the running-stuttering problem is still there.

It didn't fix shit, and the EU version sucks the same balls.