Rate the trophy difficulty...  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the trophy difficulty...

• 1 - Very Easy
    • 10 - Very Hard

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/diff_plat_9.png

Collected Trophy Difficulty Rating: 8.94

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
    Examples;
    • Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
    • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

[*]Vote with honesty and integrity.

Edited by Xander45

I give it a 9-10. 10 is something I really need much time for like Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition because of the trials. This one is very hard as well but I feel that I can handle this easier than the Super Street Fighter IV Trials. So Silent Hill 2 gets a 9-10 from me because I think it is not that bad but definitely one of the hardest Platinum trophies for me to get and which I want to get, yeah, it is hard to get, as I think. Close to very hard in my opinion.

SH2 is just 2 hours and 30 minutes of hardness , Can't you study the 10 star run for only 2 hours ?

Silent Hill 2 needs way more than the 2 1/2 hours. You don't count the time you need to before and the studying itself is before the 2 1/2 hours, actually during the other playthroughs and the time you read and watch guides/video guides, in case you read and watch some of them and also needs way more time.

Edited by Cetra

Gave it a 9, but should have given it an 8 since I'm starting to remember what a 9 or 10 was (Killzone 2 and Lost Planet 2). The 10 star run was a royal pain, but the rest of the trophies were actually not too bad.

Every. Single. Game.

In all of these voting threads, somebody always says some variation on "The One Trophy is a royal pain, but the rest of the trophies were easy, so I'm voting a 5, 6, 7, or 8." The fact is, platinum trophies are as hard as their hardest sub-trophy. If one trophy is a 10-difficulty, then the platinum is a 10.

Granted, you may not think the 10-Star Run is a 10-difficulty, and that's fine. But you don't take an average difficulty in assessing the difficulty of the game. If a game has 48 easy trophies and one ultra-hard trophy, then the platinum is ULTRA-HARD. There are countless examples across the trophy world, not the least of which is Medal of Honor Frontline. There's only one hard trophy in that game, but that trophy is a 9 or a 10. Thus, the game is a 9 or 10. Not an average of 3.

• Like 1

Every. Single. Game.

In all of these voting threads, somebody always says some variation on "The One Trophy is a royal pain, but the rest of the trophies were easy, so I'm voting a 5, 6, 7, or 8." The fact is, platinum trophies are as hard as their hardest sub-trophy. If one trophy is a 10-difficulty, then the platinum is a 10.

Granted, you may not think the 10-Star Run is a 10-difficulty, and that's fine. But you don't take an average difficulty in assessing the difficulty of the game. If a game has 48 easy trophies and one ultra-hard trophy, then the platinum is ULTRA-HARD. There are countless examples across the trophy world, not the least of which is Medal of Honor Frontline. There's only one hard trophy in that game, but that trophy is a 9 or a 10. Thus, the game is a 9 or 10. Not an average of 3.

lol you sure do like to pick fights it seems. I can kind of admire that, even though I'm not sure if I approve of the general direction all of the time. But anyway, to sort of analogize this to one of your other posts "if you haven't played a 10/10 game, you don't know how difficult it is" the same thing goes for here. Just be aware you're both right. I've played Lost Planet 2, and that is a 9.12 or something last I checked, and I believe it. 10/10 to me says "damn near impossible" and SH2 is no where near "damn near impossible" just difficult. By comparison, he's actually referencing a "one trophy" in both KZ2 and LP2, both of which require you to be in the top 1-5% in online ranking worldwide. How does that compare to SH2?

Like I said, damn near impossible. But of course, giving something like SH2 less than say a 9 is also equally misleading; there is no doubt in my mind it is truly difficult. So I suppose the best solution is to find a method that better targets what the definition of what "difficult" truly is, and hence why I do not participate in voting in these polls. And maybe, neither should anyone else! :D

I apologize. I don't mean that this game is necessarily a 10, or that people need to agree with my difficulty assessment. If you think it's a 5 or 6, great. And I really haven't played many of the classic 9/10 difficulty games. I don't mean to imply that.

I'm only saying that I disagree with people who rate a game with a low number because most of the trophies are easy. This is true with almost all tough games, and is (as I see it) completely irrelevant. I assess the difficulty of a game according to the most difficult trophy rather than the average trophy.

I'm sure that even Lost Planet 2 has many easy trophies. Now, Trash Panic, probably not so much.

SH2 is just 2 hours and 30 minutes of hardness , Can't you study the 10 star run for only 2 hours ? a 9/10 can't be a silent hill 2 , we got GT5 red bull way harder than this , Time Crisis Sentry is even harder than GT5 but if silent hill 2 told you to beat the game with only 1 save then it will be a 9 but still people can do it if they practiced enough .

This is harder than dead space 2 , Demon's Souls and Dark souls which are rated 8/10 and this game is no way reaching a 9/10 so I give this 8.5/10

Now that I'm done...

Probably not my hardest platinum, but top three for certain.

I'm going with a solid 9. While it doesn't have the aggravation of competing with other gamers, it really is one of the biggest pains out there - mostly because a single major mistake means the loss of at least 1 hour of work.

I'm not voting because I don't have the platinum (not sure if I'll even get it), but this is probably an 8 or 9 because that boat section and damage limit can be absolutely ridiculous. I've gotten 9.9 stars three times already because I can't beat that horrible boat section in time.

Well I am going to give this a 7. I am only a few trophies away from Platinum and I probably won't bother with the 10 star trophy anyway.

Sure the 10 star challenge is tough, Eddie is hard, the boat challenge is annoying but I don't think without a bit of practice you will have 'too much' trouble.

The thing about the 10 star challenge is that you CAN save twice, and you can pause AT ANY TIME using the select button. Compare that to a similar trophy on Resident Evil Code Veronica. On that game you CANNOT pause and you CANNOT save either. That game is raw skill, plus you only get a gold, on this game you will get a gold and platinum, effectively 3 gold trophies.

In comparison to Silent Hill 2, being able to save and pause to consult a guide makes this a lot easier. Silent Hill 2 is almost a 'luxury' in comparison. Remember that without this tough trophy the game would be about a 2 or 3 (Like Silent Hill 3) because all the other trophies are easy and can be done on easy or beginner. The dog, rebirth and ufo ending can all be done on a single (4th) run too.

I would give this a 5, bumped up to about 7 because of frequent random crashes that may ruin your run :mad:

Edited by ENAYSOFT

Well I am going to give this a 7. I am only a few trophies away from Platinum and I probably won't bother with the 10 star trophy anyway.

Really? You're going to be bold enough to rate the platinum while simultaneously admitting that you will not be taking on the final challenge? Maybe you're right, maybe it is only a 7. Still, your post contains strong claims for somebody unwilling to battle the only truly hard part of the game. And you actually call it a 5, only allowing a 7 because of the crashes (which actually happen almost exclusively in SH3).

Really?!

(I do follow your rant about Code Veronica, though; that challenge kept me away from putting that game on my account - I'll stick with the PS2)

Edited by MrMinderbinder

I've been fairly close to 10 stars in a number of areas just by playing normally and trying to rush through, I also like to kill all the enemies I meet on the way. Once you get x3 bullets and know where all the enemies are going to spawn (plus I played this a lot on the PS2) and learn their patterns it isn't THAT hard.

Seriously man I gave this a 7. That is a high difficulty score in my opinion, I have played harder games. Imagine having zero saves on this game. Imagine having to play well against Eddie and the rowing boat after 2 hours of gameplay. Imagine the pressure? If it was 0 saves then I would give it a 10. I am sure if it 0 saves barely anyone would have this platinun by now.

This could have been a lot harder, I think 7 is correct.

Edited by ENAYSOFT

But recall, you're actually rating the challenge at a 5, only giving 2 extra points for the crashing (which, again, occurs almost exclusively in SH3). Rating this challenge at a 5 is a little low, don't you think?

While you make a cogent argument, somebody reading through this thread might feel more comfortable hearing "it isn't really THAT hard" from somebody who hadn't walked away from the challenge. I'm currently working on Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge, and numerous people who haven't finished the game (and who abandoned the game long ago) have rated it a 1 or 2. Speaking as somebody trying (and struggling) to finish the game, it is definitely not a 2. I may just suck at racing games, but it is no 2.

I'd like to ask why you gave it a 9. By your own admission you didn't purchase Code Veronica because it was too hard for you to attempt. Therefore I guess you would vote that a 10? But what about games harder than Code Veronica? I can think of many off the top of my head, to me a 9 warrants a game that can only be completed with almost super human skills and where a guide is little or no help. SSF4/Street Fighter 4, Ryu ga gotoku 3 and a 10 for games that is so hard or just plain unfair/broken game (Pain, Trash Panic etc)

Since you have already voted at 9 and 10 for the two games mentioned, you have run out of ways to say that another game is harder than Code Veronica.

Silent Hill 2 has one tough trophy, there are some games that have multiple hard trophies and challenges that are longer than 3 hours, sometimes not even for a trophy, or as part of a trophy in a set of challenges. Being able to pause at any time, consult a game and save twice really does break that challenge down into manageable chunks that can be practiced. Hell, even the monsters are all in the same places, you can practice all the bosses by having a save just before any of them. There are so many ways this challenge is reduced if you use your head.

When I was young I didn't have much money and so I loved playing my games to death, infinite rocket launcher on Resident Evil, 10 star rankings on the Silent Hill games etc.

However, I am now in my mid thirties and just like to play games for fun. I don't have time to break my balls again, and for what, some trophies that don't mean anything in real life or for a spray that is not even that fun to use and you have to play half the game just to pick it up. What is the point? Who else got their platinum and didn't use the spray for more than a few second/at all? I can imagine, most people.

But, congratulations on your platinum man, you've earned it. But it isn't THAT hard, sure it IS tough but I can think of harder. I think the 10 stars on Silent Hill 3 is harder to be honest.

If anything mate, you should ask the guy who voted a 4! ;)

You make good points. It's hard for anybody to rate difficult games, because past a certain level it becomes a question of what kind of games you are good at. For example, Scene It? BLBS may be a 10 to most people, but maybe an 8 for movie buffs. For me, GT5 would almost certainly be a 10, while Code Veronica would only be an 8 (as I am very experienced at CV). I avoid it because I'm dodging the possibility that I become too frustrated with the game to continue. I almost avoided SH2 for the same reason.

I still argue with your comment about this game having only one hard trophy. While that is true, I see it as completely irrelevant. It's not a question of quantity, but purely of straight difficulty. Some other games have more than one super-hard trophies, but they may be short individual accomplishments. I do agree that, in the end, this is probably not as hard as it is intimidating.

It's hard to really define difficulty on a finite scale. Once you label one game a 10, it makes rating any other game a 10 a little ridiculous unless they are of equal (or very close) difficulty. It almost takes a constant re-ranking as you discover more games. I generally have a hard time rating any game as a 10, as that would become the permanent standard against which I rate all games. About 4 of the games I've played I would rate as 9's, and I know of at least 15 more that are notorious and which I would rate as 9's (as I said, I dodge CV because I'm a coward).

Allow me to retract any diminutive comments I may have made regarding your opinion. I'm probably just speaking from frustration of people who speak about difficulty without experience to back it up. These threads are loaded with people rating games that they've played for a total of 20 minutes (not talking about anybody here, but I think we've all seen these uninformed ratings placed within a couple of hours of a difficult game being released).

PS - Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge sucks monkey balls

I'm probably just speaking from frustration of people who speak about difficulty without experience to back it up. These threads are loaded with people rating games that they've played for a total of 20 minutes (not talking about anybody here, but I think we've all seen these uninformed ratings placed within a couple of hours of a difficult game being released).

It gets to me too, I don't like how people love to rate things without really going through the process of the entire thing; it generally leads to misconceptions and overall a less understanding of what's really going on (you can say the same about any kind of review system).

Enaysoft, I think you're doing a pretty grand injustice to those who happen across the trophy guide. Sure your viewpoint is only 1 vote, by itself is no big deal, but coming in here and proclaiming it a 5 or a 7 sets a certain standard that I don't think you realize is probably relatively prevalent; votes occurring although they have not actually finished it themselves. I find that to be rather fascinating, and all at the same time contradictory, that you would rate the game a 5 but then say "I have no reason to bust my balls anymore over a video game." By that account, a 5 rating difficulty should be a breeze, so what exactly is there to work yourself over for?

Just because you've done it in the past, doesn't mean you recall it perfectly. You can say you've done it in the past but unfortunately, that's not what anyone is rating. How was it the the first time you ever did it? Just due to your experience of course it's going to be easier, but you're reflecting difficulty in hindsight, rather than estimating it while in the process of actually doing it. I was browsing the DMC (I think it was 3) trophy difficulty rating, and someone gave it a 4 saying the same thing "I did it in the past so it's easy" while others gave it a 8-10. You're an exception, not a generality. Your perspective of the difficulty is ultimately biased due to your experience (it's kind of a post-modernist thing I guess).

Of course, I understand how statistics work. If everyone contributes you'll probably see the difficulty drift towards its proper place; I agree with duck360's estimate of an 8.5, despite how massively frustrated I was with it. But the thing is, this community is relatively biased as is. Most of the people here who sign up for this site and even bother to even make a contribution of any sort (hell you could say that about trophy hunters in general) are probably more often than not veterans of some sort. Maybe not veterans in the sense of gaming history, but vets in the sense of "I like to complete my game to the fullest" and as such, you're getting a skewed perspective. You have to keep in mind that perspective does not encompass those who do not regularly complete their games; by that definition, this plat could easily be a 10.

You'd give Silent Hill 2 a 10? Basically, that is just crazy. That would make it in the list of hardest platinum games, which it is clearly not. What about all the games harder than Silent Hill 2, are they are 12 and 13? I think realistically you need to take a step back and have a think.

People in my opinion, are too quick to give 1,2,9 and 10. 1 and 10 should only be given out in rare circumstances.

How often do you hear of a game getting a 1 or a 10 for example?

Roughly speaking my basis for ranking a game would be something as follows:-

1 - The game virtually plays itself, it is that easy. It is almost impossible not to get all trophies.

2 - Game is of easy or very easy difficulty. Not an absolute walk in the park but still easy for everyone.

3 - Game is easy or normal. A game made easy by using a guide

4 - Game is normal or a bit tricky. A game made fairly easy by using a guide.

5 - Game is normal, a bit tricky or hard. A game where a guide makes the game less tricky or sometimes quite easy.

6 - Game is quite tricky or hard. A game where a guide helps but is still tricky.

7 - Game is hard or very hard. A game where a guide helps but is still hard.

8 - Game is Very hard, requires a lot of dedication but guides can only help so much.

9 - Game is Very hard, requires super human skills and severe dedication. Guides are little or no help.

10 - Impossibly hard, borderline impossible smash your game in anger / Broken game. Guides are little or no help.

And some examples quickly off the top of my head.

1 - .detuned

2 - Sly mini games

3 - Trivial Pursuit,

4 - Terminator Salvation, Ice Age 3 (or is that 2?)

5 - Silent Hill 2

6 -

7 - Batman Arkham Asylum

8 - Mortal Kombat, Yakuza 3

9 - Hardcorps : Uprising, Ryu ga gotoku 3, Street Fighter 4, Super Street Fighter 4, Bionic Commando : Rearmed

10 - Trash Panic, Pain, Uno

Also my ratings are based on after using guides. For example Trivial Pursuit I would give a 3 because you can pause the game and use google to answer the questions, but it still requires some effort to do.

Some of the trophies, like answering a question on every single square before the final square, you would have to get about 50 questions in a row correct, not to mention that sometimes in a roll of a dice you CANNOT get around the board without accidentally jumping on the last square. Statistically speaking that trophy is very hard, not to mention the flawless question answering.

Without a guide that game is a 10. Who is going to be that brilliantly minded to be able to not make a mistake on general knowledge? Probably no one unless you played the game so much and memorised all the questions.

On .detuned, you randomly bash the buttons and within about 5-10 minutes you have all the trophies. I wouldn't give a 1 but this game deserves it.

Games like Hardcorps : Uprising, don't get hit in the ENTIRE game, Megaman also has a tough trophy like that.

In Silent Hill 2 you can afford to get hit a fair amount lot, and save twice. In reality Silent Hill 2 is quite forgiving.

TrashPanic and Pain, these games require luck, if the game's ingame physics are slightly unkind to you, you get screwed and it isn't even your fault. At least in Silent Hill 2 the game is fair. I tried TrashPanic on Hell mode just to get a silver trophy. That game is so hard many people can't even get a single trophy.

I left my PS3 on for 3 days but eventually gave up on Stage 3 of 6, almost brought me to tears did that game. One tiny error and you are screwed!

Then with Uno, that game has a trophy to get into the top 10 rank IN THE WORLD! Yes that is right, that trophy gets harder as time progresses, how is that fair? Today you probably need to outrank about 100000 people.

That game is a solid, super solid 10. That game is not just hard, it is broken.

Yakuza 3 has a mini game trophy that requires you to master several mini games on the hardest opponents or achieve really high scores to get one trophy.

-5 in golf, win at pool darts etc. Ryu ga gotoku 3 (Yakuza 3 Japanese version) goes one higher and excepts you to learn how to play Mahjong, Japanese Chess. Those are really hard.

The hardest of all is winning against the cheating computer 20 times on a quiz machine, my speed in reading Japanese is not all that fast but even my girlfriend who is Japanese can't do it.

There is also no way to cheat like in Trivial Pursuit, it is raw skill only. And then you have the other trophy in the game which is the challenge fights, I couldn't do some of these either. That game is like 8 difficulty challenges all in one game.

Street Fighter 4 has about 100 challenges, each last about 5-15 seconds and you can save anytime but they are all very difficult. One challenge may take you about an hour or two, or make your thumbs bleed.

Check out this challenge on Bionic Commando.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9oqZssFq4w]BCR Challenge Room 56 - Final Exam - YouTube[/ame]

Pixel perfect jumping, there is no way that is fun.

Silent Hill 2 and its one tough challenge (that can be memorised) doesn't seem all that hard at all when you think about it logically.

Try any one of the games I ranked above Silent Hill 2 and see what you think of the difficulty. If anything the Silent Hill 2 PS3 version is actually slightly easier due to the lack of fog and extra lighting.

I am not entirely sure why I went to the effort of explaining yet again why my rating of a 5 or 7 has been given to this game, but still. Silent Hill might be a 5.5 or 6 at the very most. But a 10?! Wow.

After all said and done, it is just an opinion, mine. Anyone who looks at this topic and will see the average being about 9 and decide themselves how hard this game is. Trash Panic certainly taught me that playing games is for fun, not for challenges that aren't fun. I would say it is tempting to spend this weekend getting the platinum just to show you that it isn't all that hard. However I would rather play something else.

If I had something to say it would be, why do you care whether I find this game hard or not? I question as to why people WOULDN'T buy a game because the trophies are too hard. Are trophies really more important than the games? Do people really selectively buy games within their range so they can have a collection of 100% games?

In reality, this site should have just 3 ratings, easy, medium or hard and then both of us could agree that this game is hard. :D

i'm not going to vote . but I dont know why every is saying that the game is very hard to platinum it , I think u just need some playthroughs to go for the 10 big stars trophy , I mean SH2 compered to SH3 in getting 10 big stars is not that hard , I could get 10 stars in SH3 but i didnt even try , but maybe SH2 is harder in the story mode