Sideway: New York - Trophy Guide and Road Map

TigerLust

If you have found this or any other threads that I maintain useful and are compelled to join this forum as a consequence, please give me a referral upon signing up by clicking here.

Overview

+ Estimated trophy difficulty: 4.2/10 (based on 5 votes)

+ Offline: 10 (2 (G) + 1 (S) + 7 (B))   

+ Online: 0

+ Approximate time: 5-10 hours.

+ Minimum number of play-through's needed: 1.5+ (you will use level select to collect any you missed)

+ Missable trophies: None, you can use level select.

+ Does difficulty effect trophies: No difficulty settings.

+ Cheats: None.

NOTE: This game has apparently been delisted from the PSN Store, and is no longer available to purchase. Sooory abooot that. Thanks to Velvet for notifying me of the information.

About the game

This is a really interesting platformer. You play as a graffiti artist, platforming the walls of New York, that has the graffiti come to life! The enemy is also a graffiti artist that sprays monsters, that you must kill (or avoid); and you will use your graffiti to create platforms or other tricks (you will unlock tricks as you play). The coolest part is that the walls will rotate to your perspective (can be adjusted in many locations), and you need to platform from the proper perspective to progress in the level and/or collect a tag/power/etc.

If you like platformers, get this game!

Step 1: Complete the game

Play thru the game, focusing on completing the level. Don't worry so much about collecting items, however grab them if you can. Many items can't be collected on the first run, as it requires a powerup you will receive on another level. During this step, you will unlock Gone Sideway, It's kind of a..., Plinked Slip, Bombed & Bumped, and Freedom.

Step 2: Collectibles

You will now revisit each non-boss level you missed an item on. First collect all the powers/upgrades for Completionist. Then collect all the secret tags, to unlock Tag Collector.

Step 3: Clean Up

Now redo a level, meeting these specific requirements, if you haven't unlocked the trophy yet:

Complete a level with 2 local players, I suggest the first boss, for Graffiti Partner.

Complete a level without dying, I suggest the first level, for Unkillable.

Complete a level without killing anyone, can be either Jamaica level, for Pacifist.

Edited by Viper
Removed a dead image.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Story Related

01.jpg  Gone Sideway (B)

Complete the first mission

Story related. Simply complete the first level (Alleys 1) and this will unlock.

02.jpg  It's kind of a... (B)

Defeat Big Deal

Story related. After completing the first four levels, you will encounter the first boss. Defeat the boss, and this trophy will unlock.

03.jpg  Plinked Slink (B)

Defeat Slink

Story related. After completing another four levels, you will encounter this boss. Defeat the boss, and this trophy will unlock.

04.jpg  Bombed & Bumped (B)

Defeat Bomber & Lump

Story related. After completing another two levels, you will encounter this boss. Defeat the boss, and this trophy will unlock.

05.jpg  Freedom (G)

Complete the game

Story related. After the Lump boss, you will have one more level (Times Square), followed by two boss fights. Defeat the final boss, and this trophy will unlock.

If you are having a very difficult time with these boss fights, you can always spend some time getting upgrades first. When you collect all the upgrades, you will have seven bars for both health and paint.

Edited by Viper
Removed a dead image.

Collectable

06.jpg  Completionist (S)

Unlock all the paint powers and upgrades

See Tag Collector for general information.

There is no proper list/videos for the powers/upgrades. I am not about to replay the entire game to make a list, but if you are reading this before you play, PLEASE make a list (written or video) and let me know; you will get credit for it of course.

The hardest on to locate is on Chinatown 2, and here is a tip from Ge0force: It is under a movable box near a thorn. There is also one many people miss towards the beginning of South 2.

07.jpg  Tag Collector (G)

Collect all the Tags in the game

Each non-boss level has 5 Secret Tags and up to 3 Unlocks (Powers and Upgrades). You can see how many you collected for each on the level select map; just move over that level and wait a moment for the status window to show. While playing any level, you can also hit :select: to see how many you have/need. You can quit after you get them, or restart the level freely, as it saves either way (despite the game stating all progress will be lost).

You can keep replaying each level till you collected all the booty. Some of these will not be possible to reach till you have a certain power, which may be on another level. It is strongly advised to collect all the upgrades first, then go for the secret tags. Many levels have a cloud-? Graffiti that triggers a clock and a bunch of score tags - collecting all these score tags before the clock timer ends, will allow you to snatch a secret tag (if you haven't collected it yet). Once you collect a secret tag or power up, it will no longer appear on the level.

Each level also has hundreds of score tags, which you (thankfully) will NOT need for this trophy! Just collect the 55 secret tags (5 secret tags on each of the 11 non-boss levels), and this trophy will unlock.

Thanks to FrankNStein for these great videos:

Combat Specific

08.jpg  Graffiti Partner (B)

Complete a level in co-op

You will need a second controller, as this game is offline only. I used a move motion controller, which worked fine. The move navigation controller will not work, as you need a :start: button on the 2nd controller. Just hit :start: on the second controller, complete the level (I did the first boss, without touching the second controller) and it will pop a moment later.

09.jpg  Unkillable (B)

Complete a non-boss level without dying

I found the first stage (Alleys 1) to be easiest. If you die, just hit :start: and restart the level. You can't click restart from checkpoint while going for this, as that will count as a death...

10.jpg  Pacifist (B)

Complete level without killing anyone

This is a pain to do. I strongly suggest you do this after you have all the powers unlocked, or at least the Glide skill. Whenever you are falling in an area, glide down by holding :cross:, making sure you don't land on an enemies head.

If you kill anyone, just hit :start: and restart the level. If the stage automatically kills anyone (such as the monster that falls on spikes in Alley 1), or requires you kill anyone to progress (such as in Alley 2), then you won't earn the trophy :(. I did this on the third stage (Jamaica 1).

Meatpants said:
I found Jamaica 2 is a much easier level for Pacifist. The only tricky section is the introduction of the laser lock-on guy. But you can jump over him if you time it right. And if you die at that part, the checkpoint is right there (dying doesn't affect the trophy).

Closing Notes

Thanks to FrankNStein for all the solid videos!

Trophy Guide and Road Map are now complete! Open to suggestions, feedback, comments, etc. Thank you for reading and I hope you have fun getting your 100%

These road maps and/or trophy guides remains the property of the author. Ps3trophies.org is licensed to display this once here in the forum and one copy on the "front end" of the site under the guide tab. This license does not allow any additional copies to be posted on this site, nor in any other form (physical, electronic, or other). This may not be duplicated in any fashion without the expressed permission of the author.

Edited by Viper
Removed signature.

Great Trophy Guide dude! I will use it to play the game and get 100%.

I have a quick question. I want to play the game with my girlfriend which is not a gamer.

Does this game is very very hard? Will a be able to get 100% even in local coop?

Also, what is the local 2 players coop exactly? Is this like littlebigplanet?

Thanks for your help!

I only played one level in co-op to get the trophy, and the following is based on just that. If you just want to finish the levels, it should be easier in co-op. You each get a full health bar, and a full paint bar - the boss I played against was just as easy as he was in single player. I think many girls like LBP because they can play doll, and this game doesn't have any of that, just the platforming itself. The game play itself is probably a little easier than LBP, but collecting everything was tougher (then again, I didn't have the videos to find them with). You should have an easier time doing it in co-op, but I suggest single player for the trophies of not dying and not killing anything.

I found Jamaica 2 is a much easier level for Pacifist. The only tricky section is the introduction of the laser lock-on guy. But you can jump over him if you time it right. And if you die at that part, the checkpoint is right there (dying doesn't affect the trophy).

Thanks for mentioning that, I'll add this to the trophy guide.

Sweeet a trophy guide already! Thanks mate. I'm about halfway through playing it for fun, will make use of those secret tag videos later. :D

Yeah mate, try to get these up as soon as possible. Wish I had a guide for the unlock-able powers/upgrades thou..

Anyhow, enjoy. This game was a lot of fun!

I was having fun until I got to a POS part and I'm royally pissed off. It's Projects 2 and I cannot figure out how the eff to get past this part. There's 3 rope swinging things moving back and forth, and you have to jump to the right at the top one to a "barge block" except my jump is never high enough to get to it. I tried it 50 f***ing times and I can't get it. I've spent an hour on this freaking level.

...trying to cool down, cause it pissed me off...any help would be great.

Hmm. If you are talking about those cloud things you swing on, the timing is a bit special on those. If I am thinking of the same place, there is a little ledge to the LEFT directly under a instant-death thorn. You swing onto that little ledge, shoot that monkey that kept getting in the way, and if I recall correctly, do a double jump to the right (unlocked power required) to get onto the "barge block" without using the cloud... I'll fire up the game to see if we are talking about the same spot.

Hmm. If you are talking about those cloud things you swing on, the timing is a bit special on those. If I am thinking of the same place, there is a little ledge to the LEFT directly under a instant-death thorn. You swing onto that little ledge, shoot that monkey that kept getting in the way, and if I recall correctly, do a double jump to the right (unlocked power required) to get onto the "barge block" without using the cloud... I'll fire up the game to see if we are talking about the same spot.

Yes that sounds right. I didn't know what to call the enemies, but monkeys and clouds is probably right haha. So stand on the water spout thing? To the very left?

Yes that sounds right. I didn't know what to call the enemies, but monkeys and clouds is probably right haha. So stand on the water spout thing? To the very left?

I just played thru to it. Yes, to the left just above a broken pipe that has two streams of water coming out from under it. If you swing too high to get there, you will hit the thorn on the ceiling and instantly die, so don't do that :p. Shoot what I call a monkey, which upon closer inspection looks more like a short sharpened pencil, with a long monkey tail and legs that floats in a fixed pattern and farts constantly. Now jump to the right, and just as you begin to dip back down, do the second jump and glide to the right. Once "you" figure this part out, it should only take a few tries to get past it. I personally found the cannons that shoot you into thorns more annoying... If you haven't mastered gliding yet, you are about to...

Edited by TigerLust

I just played thru to it. Yes, to the left just above a broken pipe that has two streams of water coming out from under it. If you swing too high to get there, you will hit the thorn on the ceiling and instantly die, so don't do that :p. Shoot what I call a monkey, which upon closer inspection looks more like a short sharpened pencil, with a long monkey tail and legs that floats in a fixed pattern and farts constantly. Now jump to the right, and just as you begin to dip back down, do the second jump and glide to the right. Once "you" figure this part out, it should only take a few tries to get past it. I personally found the cannons that shoot you into thorns more annoying... If you haven't mastered gliding yet, you are about to...

Oh dear...ha. I'll give that a try later. I've gotten okay at gliding, but sometimes I just screw it up. How much harder does the game get after this? Not counting boss levels, I guess there's only three levels left.

Oh dear...ha. I'll give that a try later. I've gotten okay at gliding, but sometimes I just screw it up. How much harder does the game get after this? Not counting boss levels, I guess there's only three levels left.

It doesn't get much harder. I believe figuring out what perspective to shift the walls to, and how to get past things, was more of the frustration than actually doing it once you figure that part out.

I figured out how to beat all the stages on my own, including bosses, plus found all the power ups and most of the secret tags, and I still rated it as a 5/10, so seriously, it won't get much worse.

If you can't figure out the boss strategy, just look at the videos in the guide. There is a really nice trick on the final boss that wasn't captured in the video - when you want to avoid being shot, just jump in the circles on either side and bump the wall till you land in the circles again. That will make sense when you get there...

It doesn't get much harder. I believe figuring out what perspective to shift the walls to, and how to get past things, was more of the frustration than actually doing it once you figure that part out.

I figured out how to beat all the stages on my own, including bosses, plus found all the power ups and most of the secret tags, and I still rated it as a 5/10, so seriously, it won't get much worse.

If you can't figure out the boss strategy, just look at the videos in the guide. There is a really nice trick on the final boss that wasn't captured in the video - when you want to avoid being shot, just jump in the circles on either side and bump the wall till you land in the circles again. That will make sense when you get there...

Awesome thanks for the tips.:applause:

So far I have figured out the bosses on my own, just taken a few tries. And I got past that hard part, twice. Ha the first time I did it I wasn't even thinking and I used my last grenade on the monkey pencil and got to the wall and couldn't break through. So I had to do it again lol

Ha the first time I did it I wasn't even thinking and I used my last grenade on the monkey pencil and got to the wall and couldn't break through. So I had to do it again lol

Just so you know for the future, your paint meter will refill the first bar if you wait a little bit...

I'm stuck in the begining of chinatown 2. Help?

Can you be more specific about what part you are stuck on?

Beat the game tonight. Pretty fun, the final boss wasn't very frustrating and the second-to-last one was just frustrating in the amount you had to do. Trying not to spoil, it just seemed like "artificial difficulty" to me. Instead of doing something hard, they just make you do something slightly hard 4 times. Once I figured out the airtime leap thing, I was able to get it in a few tries. Or more than a few.

And was I the only one who thought the ending was cheap? I don't want to spoil anything though, but you think you're done and you're not.

One last thing - I tried Jamaica 2 twice without killing anyone, and it didn't trigger. Dying doesn't matter right? What if you touch an enemy? I'm certain I didn't kill anyone, but I know I touched some. Or maybe there's something I'm not understanding.

Edited by DwightSchrute12

And was I the only one who thought the ending was cheap? I don't want to spoil anything though, but you think you're done and you're not.

You just described around half the games in existence... ;)

One last thing - I tried Jamaica 2 twice without killing anyone, and it didn't trigger. Dying doesn't matter right? What if you touch an enemy? I'm certain I didn't kill anyone, but I know I touched some. Or maybe there's something I'm not understanding.

Dying doesn't matter. Sometimes the enemy's amazing AI has them run into something that kills them; and sometimes the game "tells you" to avoid something by having an enemy die on it. The only other thing to watch out for is double jumping into an enemy or landing on its head.

I can't find one of the unlocks in Chinatown 2. I have the floor breaker and the backflip when double jumping, anyone knows where the 3rd is?

Can't recall, sorry. I wish I did write/record the unlockables locations.

You just described around half the games in existence... ;)

You know what I meant. I don't know how to spoiler tag, so SPOILER but the final boss has 3 "lives" and once you take all 3 you think it's over and he magically gains another? Why didn't they just give him 4? That's what I meant by that.

Dying doesn't matter. Sometimes the enemy's amazing AI has them run into something that kills them; and sometimes the game "tells you" to avoid something by having an enemy die on it. The only other thing to watch out for is double jumping into an enemy or landing on its head.

So, for example, if an AI enemy runs into spikes or something and dies without my doing, it still counts against me? I'll try again in a bit.

So, for example, if an AI enemy runs into spikes or something and dies without my doing, it still counts against me?

it does count against you. I did the first stage without killing anyone, and the game has a guy fall on the thorns to demonstrate the lethal ness, and that also resulted in no trophy :mad:. No enemy can die during the run. That includes if you set off a bomb guy and he explodes, etc.

I know what you mean about the final boss, but all I'm saying is, it's not so surprising. In fact, many games will have you fight the boss several times, in several mutated forms... The last two bosses arerelatively easy once you get the hang of jumping thru the paint vortexes.

Okay, I tried to do Pacifist again tonight. Did Jamaica 2 three times, twice without even touching any moving object. Nothing. Did Jamaica 1 without killing (but some touching/running into and losing health) and no trophy. I think I've come to the conclusion that either it's glitched or I need to do it without dying once or reset to checkpoint once (which I did not do).