I got a reply regarding Shenmue I & II's Remasters

Got a message in my inbox from Kickstarter

Original Message

Can you guys please do a PS4 remaster in HD for the first two games of Shenmue 1 and 2. I'll really love that too. I'm a new fan to the series but would love to experience the first stories so I know what to expect for Shenmue 3. I know Shenmue 3 will be a new experience too but I would love to experience what originally started it all.

Thank you for reading and god I cannot wait to platinum your guy's game. Will be worth wild to have in gamers' trophy collections.

Ys Net says:

Hello Lionel,

Thank you for your message, we love hearing from new fans!

The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are unfortunately not in a position to comment on the possibility of their port/remaster. We hope that you understand.

Best regards,

Oscar &

The Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Team

I wrote that around the 19th of June. I think it will happen but not atm current moment. Sega will do it just got to believe in them to do so.

From a business perspective, it would make so much sense. Release them one at a time, let's say Shenmue I a year before III comes out and II six months before III comes out.

The 4 plus million raised so far hopefully at least opens Sega's eyes to making this happen.

They got to happen before III comes out. Had found this too

“I think that if Shenmue I and II could be released before Shenmue III, people would be able to understand the backstory and enjoy Shenmue III even more. And so I also personally strongly want this to happen, but as the rights are held by SEGA I’m not really in a position to be able to comment. However I will also express to SEGA that I really would like for them to be produced.”

Shenmue Dojo

It is a shame that SEGA still owns the rights to this great series because I would love to see a remaster of the first two games before the third is released. Not only would it give me and other fans of the series another chance to delve into the universe of Shenmue without having to hook up our Dreamcast consoles but it would also give newcomers a great introduction to the series before the third game is released.

I'm surprised that SEGA didn't step in after the announcement was made and told Ys to pull the kickstarter because they still hold the rights!

I was also hoping to pick up 1 and 2 for my dreamcast, now the announcement has been made I have no chance. The prices have gone through the roof! :(:(:(

I'm surprised that SEGA didn't step in after the announcement was made and told Ys to pull the kickstarter because they still hold the rights!

Something you should know about in the FAQ section of Shenmue 3 kickstarter...

Q. Is this game affiliated with SEGA?

A. SEGA has officially given us the rights to use the "Shenmue 3" license.

• 1 month later...
Remakes of Shenmue 1&2 were made at least one year ago(if not more). Weird thing is that Sega don't want to release it. Don't ask me why. Maybe they have too much money :) or maybe they waiting for something. I'll bet that releasing Shenmue III will make that happen

If that's true SEGA would be stupid not to release them, especially now with all the hype surrounding Shenmue III.

• 2 weeks later...

While I absolutely love the games, I'm not sure this new generation would "get" them. Like... they wouldn't age well. A lot of things that these games pioneered (open city to explore, weather cycles, NPC cycles, QTE's, etc) are either old news at this point... or downright hated in some circles. The graphics won't impress anymore... and outside of the technical elements, the voice acting was really bad and the story was pretty cliche.

If people didn't respond well, and those without nostalgia goggles might not, it might actually hurt Shenmue III in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Even though Sega owns the rights to both Shenmue I & II, but doesn't Microsoft have the publishing rights to Shenmue II in North America? If this still holds true, then MS might hold this as an bargaining chip to get Shenmue III on the Xbox One. Though I don't mind Shenmue III on the X1 because I know there are plenty of fans of Shenmue that have only the Xbox One.

Edited by Pearson

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I do hope the remasters will happen. I would like to replay the 2 first game as its been a while before i play 3. And while at it, why not do it with trophies hey? Have them on my tag and all.

I don't think they will have age that badly, sure the graphics won't impress anymore but im sure it will still be decent enough and the story will still be awesome.

As for voice acting, well i did Shenmue 2 on dreamcast in japanese and then in english later on xbox and yeah i think its better to play them in japanese... As long as there is subtitle its all fine.;)

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, I'm very excited. I had full support for them and will be paying full price day one release. :p

I usually wait for most games to go on sale but after listening to fans and wishful requests. It finally happened. :D

Can't wait for the trophy lists. I do hope it a Double Platinum and not the same list.

• 1 year later...