My Game Review (2 STARS)

You buy this game to do one thing: skateboard. And the game decides to do some weird plot where you have to save the world from being gray. Gray? Music is cheap and horrible to listen to. I shut it off. You cant listen to your own music. Story is cheap and corny as well as ALL the characters you meet in the game. Its story is definitely trying to appeal to the younger kids as they crack unfunny jokes the whole game. You cant talk, just listen. There is nobody/very limited people online. Within in the first 10 minutes you will question why you bought this game.

The game play is clunky. This game tries to combine SKATE w/ Tony Hawk. You think that would be cool, right? Wrong. You have to use the left stick to push as well as steer, which makes movement difficult at times. Want to turn around after passing something? Well then you have to make this huge turn to go back around or stop, then turn, then go. You can walk in this game...but you cant jump! So if you want to go up a ledge, you cant. You have to skate over. You use the right stick to do flip tricks (not like SKATE... in this game it's formatted differently and horribly) or just press X button to do random flip tricks. Yup, that's right, you can just press X the whole game to do any random flip trick.

You CANNOT bail in this game. Let me rephrase. You cant bail while doing any flip tricks or landing funny. You only bail when you fall from a big height or don't make a vert trick in time (but its only the special vert tricks). And guess how you bail? You digitally explode, and the game takes its sweet time to load you back up. Which brings me to load time. This game loads a lot. You will be seeing a lot of the LOADING screen when going from place to place or doing certain challenges.

There is so much wrong with this game. I cant even name everything because there is too much. Do not buy this game unless you get it for like $10. THIS IS A $10 GAME AND SHOULD NOT BE PRICED AT $59.99 AT STORES!!!

BEWARE...I WARNED YOU.

Honestly, I'm not being narrow minded about this game. I never judge a game until i play it. Experienced gamers will not enjoy this game. And if your just buying the game to get the platinum trophy, you should honestly save that money and buy a better game. This game would probably be fun for kids under the age of 10 because its really easy to skate around your environment, seeing as you only need to press one button. But they will get bored eventually.

If you still want the game, I would rent this game and not buy it, unless you buy it for $10 on ebay, which is highly possible. I'm already trying to figure out how to get rid of it, but it does not sell for anything. I love skateboarding games, but lately the only good skate games are SKATE 1,2, and 3. Stick to those.

I have to disagree with your review. I found the game really fun. It reminded me of the old tony hawk games. I thought the Music was really really awesome so many great songs. Sometimes the controls were annoying but they were less frustrating than Skate controls. This game you can just pick up and play , I found myself playing free skate for hours just messing about. I agree the story is a bit stupid and a little repetitive. But there is so much to do on the game with the collectibles , challenges etc.

Also the trophies are really easy and fun , the only annoying part was the online connections but for me it was definitely worth 9.99 :D

I have to disagree with your review. I found the game really fun. It reminded me of the old tony hawk games. I thought the Music was really really awesome so many great songs. Sometimes the controls were annoying but they were less frustrating than Skate controls. This game you can just pick up and play , I found myself playing free skate for hours just messing about. I agree the story is a bit stupid and a little repetitive. But there is so much to do on the game with the collectibles , challenges etc.

Also the trophies are really easy and fun , the only annoying part was the online connections but for me it was definitely worth 9.99 :D

Yeah, eventually the skating controls get better, but i would never say better than skate controls. I got my plat and now i dont really feel the need to just skate around. Kinda boring. But hey, i only paid $15 so i guess i got my moneys worth

Yeah, eventually the skating controls get better, but i would never say better than skate controls. I got my plat and now i dont really feel the need to just skate around. Kinda boring. But hey, i only paid $15 so i guess i got my moneys worth

Shaun White controls are like a pick up and play game which I like . I find Skate controls a little like real life skateboarding you have to practice more but it's more rewarding when you master the tricks or controls. Cool that's fair enough , I like free skate on Shaun White as I enjoy the music and find it quite relaxing :D lol.

Shaun White controls are like a pick up and play game which I like . I find Skate controls a little like real life skateboarding you have to practice more but it's more rewarding when you master the tricks or controls. Cool that's fair enough , I like free skate on Shaun White as I enjoy the music and find it quite relaxing :D lol.

you get the plat yet?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

got this last week and havent stopped playing it. the story was cool and different. to me skate sucked. if you jump to grind to early or to late you fall. this you just have to be close to start grinding. and you cant bail in this one. i loved that. in tony hawk and skate i bailed every jump. and its easier to balance on this one. i already beat it and i still play it for fun.

• 2 weeks later...

It's an awful game, yes, but after reading the first paragraph, I figured I'd stop there. I kind of liked the story, you said it appealed to younger kids, I'm 22. I like the idea the game has and the story wasn't bad. Influencing the world and taking over corporate instead of defending against it, it's a great idea. It's no tony hawk and definitely doesn't compare to skate because that wasn't it's intention. It's a crap action skating game. But hey, to each his own.

Let me elaborate, I'm not defending this game. I think it's awful and should burn in hell.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This review is complete bullshit. Lets be honest its not even a review, its just you complaining about everything. Personally i enjoyed some of the soundtrack and as for the story it was something extra. Sure it had a few problems (like every game), such as the controls but you have to look past its flaws. overall i'd give the game 8/10

The game was somewhat fun, quite easy and laid back. The story was silly, and the graphics okay.

The bad part about this game was the controls and the online features. The button configuration etc was very very poor. It took a while to learn exactly when to press the same buttons again to do something entirely different, and make sure I didn't do something else I didn't want to do (if that makes any sense, if not think how much sense it makes in the game). The online features were at best laughable, probably just thrown in to look good on paper. I've rarely seen it executed so poorly, but when it worked it was okay for the while it lasted. The problem with the online features was that you had to make a new match every time one was over, everyone gets thrown out of the game, and it's really hard to connect back to the game because of "timed out" messages popping up really fast. It's like the game don't want you to play online. I never saw anyone online, or once I had a match open for a hour on accident and some dude joined me! :s

A good thing is that there are so much to do, but the bad thing is that it's mostly the same stuff over and over. There is nothing hard in the game, except for the controls making it overly complicated to execute what you are attempting to do.

Oh well, I enjoyed the game for as long as it lasted. It dragged out a bit in the end, so I guess I shouldn't complain about the length. If you can't get enough of skateboarding games, there is no reason not to purchase this game seeing how cheap it is, but don't expect any awesome online playing.

Edited by MMDE

• 5 months later...

ok i thought the game was fairly easy to play it was too easy to be precise there is no real challenge in it i agree with the story being corny aswell as the characters. however i liked the soundtrack and thought it was nice to skate around with it. anyhow controls are okay after u get the feeling for them but the not being able to bail part sucks hard which is part of the too easy side of this game. easy plat but clearly i prefer tony hawk and skate series over this one. its nothing great but also not a complete disaster tho. :think: