The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

under 3 hours- tips

is it possible to beat the game in under 3 hours on your first try? should you play it first and then try to do it in 3? the insults trophy took me an hour alone, i'll have to play again to beat in less than 3 hours. anyone got any tips? skip cut scenes and go go go? anything else?

If you've already played through it once, it'll be a breeze to do the speed run. I played through it once taking my time and enjoying the game then went for the speed run. It wasn't difficult at all. In fact, when you know what needs to be done, you can acquire items early when you're in the right area and save yourself some backtracking. And yes, skipping the cut scenes/long dialogs will definitely help. Also, when you're learning the insults, you only need to do it until one of them says "You're good enough to fight the Sword Master".

If you've already played through it once, it'll be a breeze to do the speed run. I played through it once taking my time and enjoying the game then went for the speed run. It wasn't difficult at all. In fact, when you know what needs to be done, you can acquire items early when you're in the right area and save yourself some backtracking. And yes, skipping the cut scenes/long dialogs will definitely help. Also, when you're learning the insults, you only need to do it until one of them says "You're good enough to fight the Sword Master".

yeah but you really need to keep going because if you dont, by the time one pirate has said you are good enough you probably only have half the insults and it willbe hard to beat carla.

i kept going until i had heard all of them, has added a bit longer on though. im now almost 2 hours in and ive only done three trials. i know the 2nd and 4th levels are pretty short but level 3 will take a while so i think i may miss it when i got it ok on xbox. although on xbox the one achievement i dont have is the insults one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In the walkthrough on the site it says you can go the map feature from gameplay. How do you do this? I'm referring to the part when after you learn your sword skills and are looking for pirates, the guide suggests going to the fork. Can i get to the overmap directly from outside the guy's house or do i need to walk to the lookout point passed the archway, scumm bar, etc.?

• 6 months later...
  • 10 years later...
On 3/7/2011 at 4:17 AM, Francofone said:

In the walkthrough on the site it says you can go the map feature from gameplay. How do you do this? I'm referring to the part when after you learn your sword skills and are looking for pirates, the guide suggests going to the fork. Can i get to the overmap directly from outside the guy's house or do i need to walk to the lookout point passed the archway, scumm bar, etc.?

What I did was get out of the Fork scene which takes us into an overmap view, then position ourselves on the crossroads while still in overmap view.  The idea is for the pirates that can be seen walking on the road to come across (touch) and this triggers the showdown.  This has got to be near the fork area as this is where they seem to pass the most.

On 9/19/2011 at 5:10 PM, Linxzy said:

As far as i know (as im doing this now) Time pauses when you paused the game.

I was wondering this myself.  Good to know this one works.  I still have to do the speedrun with a second playthrough.  I was not too confident I could get it done being very unfamiliar on how the game works.  Accessing the inventory and interacting with the environment seems to be a bit taxing in this game compared to Monkey Island 2 - not very intuitive which will make the grog-mug challenge much harder than it should.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wanted to do this in a single playthrough but having to read the walkthrough word-by-word while playing seems to add more time in getting things done. First timers would tend to rely on the guide too much for being unfamiliar with the game.  Getting all trophies on the first PT and focusing on the speedrun in the second PT would be the more logical approach as we no longer have to worry about using a single save slot to save our progress. 

At least with a seperate playthrough the 10 save slots could be played around to keep multiple back-ups and see which ones will have the most optimal time played when doing Sharp Tongue for the Human Cannonball trophy.

Edited by Naps
Got the speedrun done in 2hrs 25mins.