Review This Game/See Some Reviews

Rockets

What Do You Rate This Game?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Rate This Game?

http://cdn1.gamepro.com/box/box_164812-hd.jpg Average Game Rating - N/A

Screenshots

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/70064_Saw2-08_normal.jpg http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/Saw-II-.jpg http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu10/jjjjjjj_photo/tba-saw-2-the-videogame-20100409003607581_640w.jpg

How To Review

1. PLEASE DON’T post a review without having played the game first!

2. Please don’t post a review unless you have played alot of hours or have completed the game.

3. Only write about the multiplayer aspect in the ‘Multiplayer Experience’ heading.

4. Please put a description in each section & then rate it out of 10.

5. Do not review on the trophy aspect of the game.

6. Review what YOU think & don’t be influenced by others.

Reviewing Game - Saw II: Flesh & Blood

Story:

Gameplay:

Controls:

Graphics:

Sound:

Wow Factor:

Replay Value:

Multiplayer Experience: N/A

Rent Or Buy This Game?

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Score: PLEASE VOTE!

Please Use the above as a template for your review. If you need help with anything please refer to this thread >>> http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/user-generated-content/16959-how-write-review.html#post213134

*PLEASE NOTE: ALL NON-REVIEW RELATED POSTS WILL BE DELETED*

Edited by Rockets

Story: Being a huge fan of the SAW series, I'm not afraid to admit that I only picked up this game because it's supposed to be cannon with the movies. That being said, the story wasn't half bad. The ending twist was passable, but you can tell it's not written by the same people who do the screen plays for the movies. It's enjoyable, if a little long. 6/10

Gameplay: Based off the first game this one is leaps and bounds above it. Doesn't mean the gameplay is amazing though. I like the stronger emphasis on puzzles with a cut back in fighting. I feel it portrays the world of SAW really well. However, you can only go through so many "trap doors" and solve the same puzzle repeatedly before it gets boring. The gameplay here doesn't shine the way Silent Hill does. Next title let's have 3 or 4 different protagonists who each have their own tests and puzzles. 2/10.

Controls: I had no issue with them. Everything is fluent. Typical 3rd person fair 8/10.

Graphics: I personally think the graphics are alright. They aren't Uncharted, but not much is. There is some clipping and buggy animations that I saw though, and that's a drag. 5/10.

Sound: The music score for this game is actually really good. It sets the mood and I didn't feel anything was over played. Probably the strongest aspect of the game itself. 8/10.

Wow Factor: It doesn't really "wow." Sure, it can be chilling at times, but at the end of the day it's really just the poor man's Silent Hill.

Replay Value: There are two endings and you're are forced to play through the game twice to see both. After that I doubt you'll ever touch it again.

Rent Or Buy This Game?: This is an easy rental unless you're in love with the SAW franchise like I am. However, I still wouldn't buy it.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Score: Solid 5 in my book.

Story: The story behind this game was not that bad at all... It was supposed to link the movies, but you could tell that the writers of this story were not the same writers... The twists at the end of the Saw games have never gripped me as much as the movies..... 6/10

Gameplay: There is a masive improvement to the gameplay when compared to the original Saw game. My only issue was that after a while the puzzles were all the same type... I would have like more of a variety... 4/10

Controls: Again these have vastly improved from the first game, but I still had a few problems, especially when you had to quickly move away from someone. The collision detection at times can also be a pain, especially if you are trying to rush due to a time limit.... 4/10

Graphics: Compared to a game like Heavy Rain or Uncharted the graphics are really poor, but when you consider how the graphics help with the atmosphere then I would say that it was perfectly suited to the game

6/10

Sound: The sound was amazing and helped portray the suspense that you would expect from the Saw franchise 10/10

Wow Factor: There was nothing in the game that made me go..."Damn that is good".... 2/10

Replay Value: Apart from having to play the game twice if you want the platinum, I can not see you want to play this game ever again... 2/10

Rent Or Buy This Game? This is a rental that you will be able to complete within 12-13 hours. A couple of hours more if you do not use a collectable guide.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Score: I enjoyed this game, but would have been a little bit peed off if I have purchased it new....

5/10

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Story: Probably my favorite aspect of this and the last Saw game. I really enjoy that they made this fit in to the franchise (fairly) seamlessly. I also like how the further you play, the more you understand what has happened between the end of the first game towards this one. And it is one of the few games where I actively read and listened to all of the collectibles - they really flesh out the story. 8/10

Gameplay: Really just a carbon copy of the first. A couple new puzzles added and some taken out. Some of the scenes where you have to dispatch the "Bullish Man" and the "Spiked Man" can be aggravating because of the lackluster camera controls. And can be hard to see as they make certain parts TOO dark. The change from control based fighting to QTE's is VERY welcome. And some of the Billy puppet puzzles are difficult enough to be a real thinking challenge - which is great, IMHO. 7/10

Controls: About what you'd expect from a small budget game. Not terrible, not great. Camera controls can be less than stellar. 5/10

Graphics: Again, like the controls, about par for the course. Some of the kill sequences with the nailbat are ugly - as in the bat is nowhere near the enemy, or your arm disappears in the enemy's body. 5/10

Sound: The score is pretty good. The Saw music is there and brings you back to the last 5 minutes of every Saw movie. Tobin Bell mostly phones in his Jigsaw lines, and the voice of Tapp's father is REAL bad. But most of the secondary characters do an exemplary job. 7/10

Wow Factor: The fact that I enjoyed this game is the only real "wow" factor. 2/10

Replay Value: There are two endings, but as long as you choose the right way to start with, you can just chapter select to get other ending trophy. I replayed it because I NEVER look at a collectible guide until after I have beaten it once. I looked pretty thoroughly and at end of game had 47/50 files, all audio tapes, 22/25 puzzle pieces and 5/7 Billy puppets. Once you have seen both endings, and gotten all collectibles, game is a dust-collector. 2/10

Rent Or Buy This Game?: I got it as a present (was $39.99 when my Mom bought it) and just sold it back to Amazon for $30.00. It was worth buying to me - not full price, though. Probably should rent it if you didn't love the first.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Score: I rather enjoyed this game. Some puzzles were challenging, and the story is good. I liked the story more than some of the middle Saw movies (I'm looking at you 4 and 5!) and was fun to play it semi co-op with my Saw loving buddy. Final score? 7/10

• 2 weeks later...

Story: Story in this game was excellent because the characters fit into the SAW universe very well. The audio tapes and case files bring the story to life and the fact that SAW 2 builds on the story from SAW 1 enhances the storyline much more. 9/10

Gameplay: The game has a solid mix of exploration, combat and puzzle solving. The puzzles in this game are fun but I wish they could have been randomized a bit more to make the game more challenging.

My biggest issue was the change in the combat system to the Quick time event sequence. I didn't like it because its redundant pressing buttons to either attack or dodge the enemy. SAW 2 should have stuck with the combat system from the 1st game because the 1st game forces you to attack and dodge properly with free roaming. 6/10.

Controls: Controls are very easy to grasp right when you start the game. 8/10

Graphics: The graphics in this game look grainy & choppy at times but its not bad enough to take away from the game experience. 6/10

Sound: Music in this game is awesome and it matches the tension when you are solving a puzzle or when you are under pressure from the enemy. I also like the theme music at the title screen. 8/10

Wow Factor: The wow factor in this game isn't that great. Death scenes aren't that shocking and there's not much shock value in this game overall outside of the twists & turns with the story. 3/10.

Replay Value: The replay value for this game is minimal. You could literally finish the story on Insane difficulty and not even go back to this game afterwards. 2/10

Rent Or Buy This Game?: Rent this game because its finishable within 2-3 days.

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Score: Despite the flaws that I mentioned, SAW 2 is a great sequel to SAW 1 and the story keeps you drawn into the game. The video game does not deviate from the standards the movie has set and the game is a fun experience. 7/10

Edited by Sharksfan24
fixed a word

• 2 weeks later...

Basically the same as the first game.

They replaced the horrible fighting system with QTE. That's ok for me. The story was way better too as I took pleasure in reading and listening to all collectibles

But they sure will have to do something about glitches, bugs and freezes. The game more than once crashed while loading a savegame,a new chapter or a respawn point. :think:

Now this was obscure: In chapter 5, I attacked Henry with a melee weapon when he was reloading his revolver. I "killed" him (blood all over running from his skull), lol and picked up his gun. I didn't know that he couldn't be killed at this point of the game. I kept the gun and in the next fight, when I was doing the QTE, the game froze. Luckily, there was a weapon box not far from the resarting point as you can't drop your weapon. Then he reappears again...so long for continuity. :wtf:

I found the first part more "gorish", passing by other trapped people who obviously failed their tests (the counter showing 0:00:00) was missing in Saw II. I missed the traps too. Played the first part on Insane and tried to eliminate as much attackers as possible via traps and environment. Oh yes and the booby traps-animation that couldn't be skipped was bothersome.

Didn't improve on the graphics, still the same lousy engine.

• 3 weeks later...

*Possible Spoilers Ahead*

Story:

Without spoiling anything. The story is heavily influenced by the SAW movie franchise and the previous SAW game. The story starts with the player controlling Campell who finds himself hooked up to a head-trap. After escaping, the player must make a moral choice, which is later revealed to be a crucial story plot point. As far as stories go it's well written but very cliché.

To the writer's credit. Playing the game twice allows the player to see both sides of the story and both potential endings. To be fair I wasn't expecting to receive such an in-depth story. It's just a shame the game cuts off just as it's about to get interesting. And the end cutscene leaves room for a sequel.

Overall it's a good story. But it's only skin deep and relies heavily on a decision made very early on in the game. However, points are added for making use of in story collectables, which give great depth to the story and tie-in nicely with the movie installations.

6/10

Gameplay:

Unfortunately, gameplay ins't the game's strong point. It relies heavily on gameplay mechanics from the previous instalment. The puzzles are bland, unimaginative and repetitive and some require button-mashing and luck.

The game does have some good puzzle elements, but they are repeated so often, they do little to keep the game exciting towards the end.

Combat has been reduced to it's most basic form of hitting 3 buttons in a timely sequence. And although less hit-and-miss than the prequel, it's certainly simple. The game tries to introduce multiple types of enemies to keep things moving, but again they are repeated over and over, to the point you can predict what's happening.

Then there's the difficulty curve, which is erratic to say the least. Most of the game is a breeze. But every now and then you'll encounter puzzles which, through trail and error will have you either frustrated, or confused. I refer to the carousel, light's out, and the collar-room puzzles in particular.

But it's main downfall is it's nothing new. It's boring and sterile and will bore most players within minutes.

3/10

Controls:

The controls work well. With the developers making good use of puzzles to incorporate all of the DS3's features. There are quick-time events, times when the triggers need to be used, and the Six-Axis motion is put to good use to balance across beams.

The camera is easy to control, as is the players' movement.

Everything runs smooth and as expected.

8/10

Graphics:

The developers have played homage to the films, heavily relying on the use of darkness and gore, inspired from the world of SAW, to create a dark and gritty world.

The in-game textures are bland, however, and the character models look terrible. The same props and scenery are used over and over again making for a dull experience. Cutscenes aren't rendered, and run using the in-game engine. Again this shows how under-whelming the Unreal Engine is.

The use of darkness and glow in the dark paint, is certainly a very good idea. But again, it's used ovr and over again making it less impressive.

4/10

Sound:

Sound with this game is very hit and miss. On the one hand the in-game music is fantastic and fans of the films will instantly recognise some of the more familiar tunes. They really help set the mood and create tension when needed.

The character voices, however, are utterly appalling. Think generic acting-school drop-outs and you're nearly there to understanding how bad they are. The only saving grace is Tobin Bell who reprises his role of jigsaw.

The game is full of stock sounds which repeat over and over. All doors sound the same. All traps sound the same. Tapp will groan the same way every time he steps on glass. The flash light makes an annoying clunk sound every time it is turned on/off.

Overall it impressive in some aspects, but sounds ridiculous in others.

5/10

Wow Factor:

I'll be blunt here. It's a mediocre game, which is boring on many levels.

3/10

Replay Value:

The game has many collectibles and reasons to replay. In theory the game must be played twice in order to see both possible outcomes and receive certain trophies.

However, due to the game being so lackluster, most gamers resort to exploiting a glitch in order to not play the game any longer than necessary.

This is testament to how dull the game is.

Another incentive is the trophy set Another incentive is insane mode, which requires players to tackle the puzzles on two different difficulties. This is challenging and will require practice.

However, one thing is certain. Once a player has obtained the fairly easy platinum, this game will either stay on the shelf or be sold.

2/10

Multiplayer:

None

Rent Or Buy This Game:

If possible, neither. Borrow it off a friend. At worst, rent it. The game only take 8-10 hours to platinum and afterward you'll be glad never to play it again.

Overall Score:

It's not the worst game ever, but it's far from the best.

5/10 overall.

Edited by JFlinchy

• 11 months later...

The first Saw game was alright - not great, not even good, but a solid video game translation of the engrossing film franchise. After Saw 1 met quite a lot of criticism, developer Zombie Studios told us that they understood and would make the sequel a better game. They lied.

Saw II is the worst horror game I played in this generation of consoles, right alongside Alone in the Dark (2008). I just can't believe the mess the developer made here. The QTE combat is horrible, the random floor / ceiling crashes are VERY annoying, some riddles are missing any logic or sense (I still don't understand how the doll numbers puzzle in chapter 3 works, after failing 5 times I just looked up the solution), graphics and loading times are awful and the story is ridiculous even for Saw. Most environments and gameplay elements were just copy-pasted from the first game, but at least the first one didn't lock up or freeze frequently. And why do you still have to save everybody, like in the first game? Why can't you just get a bad ending if NPCs die, but continue to play? Why?

Saw II feels like not my character, but I am the one who's being tested by Jigsaw. Aren't games supposed to be fun and not to feel like being tortured? I might repeat myself but seriously, this is one of the worst games I've played in the last 5 years - and I've played a lot of games.

Score: 2 out of 10 - avoid at all costs, if you didn't buy it yet! Save your money for the upcoming Silent Hill HD Collection.

• 3 years later...

Reviewing Game - Saw II: Flesh & Blood

Story: 6 - it is better than the first, more involving and more saw like

Gameplay: 2 - Damn dark all the time.... one of the downsides of this game

Controls: 5 - The controls are simple, i had some troubles however mainly in the push / Pull cart sequences

Graphics: 5 - I'm playing this in 2015 so naturally i've seen better

Sound: 7 - One of the positive aspects in this game , the atmosphere is pretty good, and jigsaw is always jigsaw :p

Wow Factor: 5 - just because some of the deaths and the plot is somewhat like the saw movies, always has it's twists and turns

Replay Value: Not much, just trophy clean up

Rent Or Buy This Game? Rent or buy it a low price, no more than 10 euros

Your Personal Verdict & Your Final Score: Voted 5 , i'm a saw fan and this game had a bit more immersive experience than the first one.

Edited by Semifreak de Bolacha