Saw 2 is the perfect example of poor game design...

why is saw 2 bad design? or bad marketing?

i got the platinum for the first saw game and not only was it easy but it was a fun plat to earn. as i was playing saw and i kept seeing the radios and patient logs and all that i kept thinking 'thank god there is no trophy for all these collectibles'.

when saw 2 came out i was kinda pumped and thought.. i like getting all the platinums in a series.. kinda completes a set in a way. i have 5 COD plats and 5 GOW plats for example...

but then i looked into saw 2s trophies and thought.. NOPE. way too much effing collecitbles for my liking. that's poor game design. Making the first game worth buying.. and the second one potentionally not worth buying. yeah.. you could say why not just play it for fun.. but saw 1 wasn't THAT fun that i would pay more than the used price i paid for it on amazon.

Dv

• 2 months later...

So because a game has collectables you have to find thats poor game design? Well i guess all the CoD games are poor design as well since you have to collect all the intel for them. I guess all the Uncharted games are poor design as well since you have to find 100 little shimmering dots. Just because you have an issue not wanting to put the time in to find them does not make it poor game design.

but then i looked into saw 2s trophies and thought.. NOPE. way too much effing collecitbles for my liking. that's poor game design.

Dv

why the hell are you posting here?

PS.... that' has to be one of the dumbest arguments i've read on these forums for a while. and that is saything something

• 2 years later...
why the hell are you posting here?

PS.... that' has to be one of the dumbest arguments i've read on these forums for a while. and that is saything something

Agreed, but I echo the OP's sentiments, regardless.

Haven't even played it yet - just got my copy in the mail today, used, coincidentally having just Platinumed Saw 1 late last night. At title select, wanted to see what I needed to do off the bat/aka if there was an Insane related trophy.

What. The. ****? At first, I was thinking - God, what poor game design. I *hate* some idiotic decision by one individual, adding "this here particular trophy, since we need so many!" that forces someone to replay the *entire* game twice - a decision happening in the first chapter, for a trophy unlocked at game's end? Two of them, reflecting two choices. Saw 1, where the doors took two minutes of a quick reload to get both? Groovy.

But there's at least, mercifully, a workaround for that.

What. The. F***? There's... a trophy... for... playing the game on Christmas Day? Uhh... what. The. ****? There's *also* a trophy for playing on Halloween? Uhh... okay, that one? For Saw? Maybe. I've played a lot of games, and read far, far more guide+road maps. I've never seen this before, even once.

Lemme get this right - to get a Plat, "legit" - I'm supposed to arbitrarily play this on Halloween and Christmas Day both? A: Are there even *any* other games with "play on **/**" trophies? B: So... two of them.

Some dev expects someone to be playing *this* game - Saw 2 - for *TWO* whole months?!?! Umm... or I can just change the date in my console settings. Twice. Because that's so very, very fun - man, I'm gaming now, Ma! It's Christmas Day and Halloween, both - in the middle of April!

.... I can already tell this is going to be a fun one, after the great game design that was Saw I. If only I weren't a massive survival horror genre fan, and my arguable OCD didn't compel me to Plat out every one of them I can for posterity's sake. "Play on Christmas and Halloween..." Really...?

I know this is from 2012 but daaaaaaamn this has to be one of the most retarded posts in the site.

Yeah, having gotten the Plat today, I can now comment on the OP's argument (rather than just using a thread title that mirrored my thoughts, in order to spare making a new one). As such, I regret bumping this at all, so ridiculous is the nonsense about Collectibles in F&B.

Warning: Never play Assassin's Creed 1 +feathers. The collectibles were prolly one of the only good things about this game! The first title? Utterly useless trash -almost literally. Nonsense about ancient events in an Insane Asylum that mattered zilch to Saw.

Here, at least, it actually added context to the films. The audio tapes in particular were quite enjoyable, as those things go. My God, how many games have collectibles that have absolutely no value/meaning/*anything!!!*? (See: Feathers, AC1)

This game did ultimately suck, though. They improved the flaws of the first game, then did a 180 on the strengths of the first. Combat -where the different types of weapons weren't that awful- is replaced by utterly atrocious QTE nonsense.

I still hold what I posted last week: Those two 'holiday' date trophies were some of the most ridiculously stupid things I've had to do for a trophy. Stu-pid! Furthermore, again the two Campbell/"ending" trophies show incomprehensibly bad game design. May the idiot that dreamt those up never find work in gaming again. A decision made at the very start of the game, that doesn't "pay off" until the end?!

It's one thing when it impacts the entire playthrough. This... doesn't. Not only doesn't it, it changes absolutely nothing but a ten second cutscene! Even that can be forgiven, if there's different difficulties of something. This game? If not for the "glitch"/cheat (which mercifully worked for me, too), you'd be playing the exact same game the exact same way all over again. Oh, wait, a few minigames have randomness with their puzzles.

If you're gonna force somebody to replay your entire game all over again, at least offer the most basic of variations/dynamic content. Bleh - and to think, Kobani originally foresaw this franchise as being another Silent Hill? God, I weep to imagine the resources (aka. Cash) they wasted here might've allowed another entry for SH, regardless of its ultimate quality.