Trophy Guide

frollard

2 other guides have been chosen as the preferred guides for this game.

This thread has been closed and is not maintained and as a result may contain outdated or incorrect information. Please follow the links below for the preferred guides.

More to come very soon!

In the meantime, if anyone has anything to share, post it here, and I'll update (and give credit of course)

*I'm stuck at work, so I have to write based on memory at this point* I'll make videos of each level for those who are desperately stuck soon enough. ALTHOUGH - this game is UNLIKE Pixeljunk Monsters in that its a bit more chaotic, you could do exactly the same thing and get a different result, thus, I am going to profess GOOD STRATEGY first - you might be able to do it without too much help!

General Strategy: Kill the bad guys before they reach your base. Here are a few (okay, a lot) of general tips to make this happen.

The AI pathfinding is 'kinda dumb' and picks 'shortest non-attack route', but if the route is too long, they'll attack to get thru. This game is not the first to let you choose where the enemies will attack from. If you block them completely off, they will attack via the shortest route. You can use blocking towers to force the AI to go where you want. Always block off an unwanted path at the FAR (from enemy spawn) end, that way the AI will pick a new clear route before deciding its easier to destroy your blockade. Also, be sure to make sure all blocking towers are given some ground support, so if they do get attacked, the attackers will be short lived.

This can come in handy if you need a little extra time to finish them off. *see video soon* Essentially, if there are multiple paths from your enemy to your base, and you block one, they will take the open path - EVEN TURNING AROUND AND BACKTRACKING TO DO IT. You can then clear their path by deleting the obstruction, and they'll turn around again! :)

Do not underestimate the power of 'area of effect'. One upgrade can upgrade one tower. One amp tower can 'upgrade' 15 towers' power, range, and speed. One upgrade to an amp tower can upgrade 15 towers. Each tower has its purpose, even multi-purpose is a purpose. It's like back to school with compound interest (remember PJM Scrooge's return?)

Most enemies are passive, meaning they will not (cannot) attack beyond 'any' altitude difference. Stand-alone towers, or anything not based partially on bedrock (elevated areas) are susceptible to attack by passive enemies. This can be handy if you need to slow down a swarm near the mouth of your base. Just build a tower in the open by your base, and they'll often stop to attack it. Sell it before it dies, and you get some money and the pod back.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/frollard/towers.png

All towers are at risk of being damaged or destroyed by 'attacking' enemies such as Tanks, who spit flying bugs at you. To reduce losses, keep your towers located as far from, and as high away from enemies. Repair towers are your friends - more on that later.

Strategy:

Best allocation of resources. You are limited in this game by a few things; notably real estate, money, tower unlocks, tower upgrades, command abilities and pods.

Real Estate: There is limited room to build, so placing the right towers in the right places is sanity. Place long ranged units, especially mortars and anti-air on further back from 'edges', and leave more prime 'edge' real estate for shorter ranged units. Try and place units on a logical grid, using up room as efficiently as possible. You never know when you might need to cram an extra tower in there later. On later levels remember your towers will need protection as they will be getting attacked. Repair towers and extra offense are a great defense.

Tower Unlocks: You need to pay the piper before he will let you use his "1337 tech" in your battle - When is as important as What - Don't spend valuable cash too soon on a tower you won't use for 3 or 4 waves. Every tower has its use, I will go over that later. Generally, you will always use anti-air, mortar, blocking towers, levels 3-4 upgrades and sometimes repair, and sometimes level 5 not necessarily in that order.

Tower Upgrades: Towers are usually capable of doubling in damage, splash radius, firing rate, or effectiveness over 5 level upgrades. Do not underestimate the power of upgrades. ALWAYS ALWAYS level the first, cheap (25-50 credits) upgrade quickly. Take note of the 'neutral' position (it will be north, south, east or west. Try to do upgrades when the tower is already pointing that direction (if you have a choice), so it takes less time to rotate. The options menu shows the levels and costs of each upgrade for each tower. Level 5 is usually pretty devastating, virtually doubling the effectiveness of a level 4 tower.

Money and Pods The basic 'monetary' elements of the game. Pods are divvied up at the end of each round, and sporadically based on number of kills. Money is earned for killing enemies, per head.

Edited by Terminator
Added links to the stickied Guides.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trophy Specific Stuff:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/000.jpg

Xipe Imoon Trophy

Award for exemplary completion of an Imoon nebula. All levels of the nebula must be completed with a minimum score achieved on each to win this award.

"with a minimum score" means you get all 3 awards on each of the 4 levels - Pass level, Score Bonus, and Health Bonus. Pass level is obvious, just don't fail. Health Bonus means at no time during the level did you have mining disruptions - NO LEAKS! Score bonus varies with each level, although I'm yet to NOT get it if I get Health Bonus. Having lots of money, pods, and towers at the end is a good thing for the bonuses.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/001.jpg

Ymir Imoon Trophy

Same as Xipe, just harder.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/002.jpg

Zeus Imoon Trophy

Same as Ymir, much much harder.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/006.jpg

Imoon Agamemnon Trophy

This is the award for the successful completion of the first level of the Xipe nebula.

The name says it all - just Complete the level, no minimum score, but you might as well get all the three awards so you get the Imoon trophy.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/007.jpg

Imoon Technician Trophy

This award is for the first successful building of a tower upgraded to level 5.

Again, this one's obvious. You can access 'level 5' only on Ymir and Zeus. It's an unlockable after purchasing 'levels 3 and 4' upgrade. Unlocks at the END of a round, not when you upgrade the tower.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/008.jpg

Imoon-Bane Trophy

Awarded for killing a huge number of Insectocytes.

I unlocked this after only 3 levels, at ~1000 enemies. This is confirmed with the developer, 1000 kills IN A ROUND.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/009.jpg

Imoon Survivor

Awarded for surviving for an impressive amount of time in any Vengeance Mode level.

What I've read again, looks to be about half an hour. Recommended to try this one on level 1-1, easier start. You're going to use a LOT of splash damage, a LOT of machineguns, and a LOT of repair/amp pods.

Remember to use your command credit skill when the goings good (first 10-15 levels) and change out credits for defense and offense, when necessary. I find putting credit and attack on at the same time yield the best results (you get the same extra money it seems, and do neutral damage).

Try and avoid using the 'start next wave' option, because you are going for time. The credit crunch kinda sucks, but it gets tough pretty quick.

Update: I made it to level...24ish on 2-1. I survived 30:47. Emailed the developer: 30 minutes is the line in the sand.

Awarded AFTER you finish, after the menu screens, so don't freak out!

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/010.jpg

Command Degree Trophy

Awarded for completing all of the tutorial sections of the game.

These finish up sometime thru 1-2 or 1-3. I forget. It will come naturally - don't strive for this one.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/011.jpg

Command Credit Trophy

Awarded for earning a significant amount of credits during your levels.

I emailed the developer, this achievement is IN ONE ROUND, and you have to 'get' 15,000 credits. Not have saved up, just get :) They recommend vengeance mode.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/012.jpg

Command Skill Credit Trophy

Awarded for earning a significant amount of credits during your game using Command Skills.

To clarify, these are credits earned using the extra income command skill. This is accessed via 'menu', 'down'. You can access Money, Strength, or Defense. Command Credits add approx 10-20% of your kill income...depends on the creature. Command credit skill weakens your attack and defense in favour of more income (like all things military-cutting-corners). I emailed the developer, and IN ONE ROUND you must get 1000 'extra' credits with the skill activated. Like the Credit trophy, you're likely to get this on vengeance.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/003.jpg

Imoon Conqueror

This is the award for completion of all levels of the three Imoon nebulae.

If this needs a description, then...well. <shrugs> I don't know how to help you. Beat Xipe, then Ymir, then Zeus. Just beat them, no extra awards necessary.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/004.jpg

Imoon Artisan

Award for mastery of technology. This is achieved by researching and building all tower types in the game.

Do as it says; you won't be able to get the last few upgrades until Zeus. Should unlock at the end of the level on which you build your last type of tower.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/78/005.jpg

Imoon Admiral

This is the award for completion of all levels of the three Imoon nebulae without any damage to mining operations.

Be Leet. Next post will have videos with a strategy for each level as I upload them. For now I'll be happy to answer questions regarding levels and strategy.

Edited by frollard
Developer emailed me detials

Waldgeist will go here...workin on it. Images are up in the air still - nobody knows them :D

Luddite Trophy (Waldgeist) Bronze Trophy

Awarded for completing any 5 levels using only Machine Gun Towers without any damage to the base.

--ANY-- 5 levels. You need the expansion pack to unlock this trophy, but it's impossible during the Waldgeist missions because you need to use the sensor tower. Simply use the other imoons - first 5 stages of the original game are dead simple.

Banker Trophy (Waldgeist) Bronze Trophy

Awarded to those who display excessive bravery and greed by completing 5 levels with the armor and damage settings at their lowest values.

'simple' in concept - enable the command credit boost, which lowers defense and strength, in exchange for more money. Make good use of that money with more upgrades, or you'll regret it!

Insectocyte Juggler (Waldgeist) Bronze Trophy

Given to expert strategists able to keep any single Insectocyte alive for 5 minutes or more.

Waldgeist 2 Niht, wave 2, guys come down the left side. Trap one, and use repair towers to keep it trapped. 7 minutes including the 5 minute wait. Quit the round for it to kick in.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMNByw1uRQI]Insectocyte Juggler[/ame]

Neophile Trophy (Waldgeist) Bronze Trophy

Given to those who complete any 5 levels using only Lasers, Anti-Air Towers, Particle Cannons and Orbital Strike Towers.

Videos eventually

Purple Heart (Waldgeist) Bronze Trophy

Awarded for completing a level retaining less than 25% health without repairing your base.

Waldgeist Admiral Trophy Silver Trophy

Awarded for completion of all 6 levels achieving the minimum set scores.

As with the pre-update imoons, I am guessing that if you simply pass the level with 100% health you'll probably have gotten the 'minimum' score. Will verify.

Waldgeist Imoon Trophy Gold Trophy

Awarded for completion of all 6 levels whilst suffering no damage to the base.

I'll be posting videos for this when ready.

Waldgeist 1 - Menja

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEYQXpItUTs]Waldgeist 1 Menja 1/2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4alOG-9iquM]Waldgeist 1 Menja 2/2[/ame]

Don't build much outside the mining base - Except for anti-air in a few spots to be discussed, and a few mortar towers out in the boonies. The mortars are sacrificial for those suicide bastards that destroy stuff. Funny thing is they'll suicide for a lowly unupgraded mortar. Keeping 3 or 4 of them up by the spawn keeps your base free and clear. Anti air has a few spots near the base you want to cover (the rocks east of the mining base between the eastmost air-pod and the base.

Edited by frollard

The best strategy is to focus on machine guns to start, get repair towers researched, then amp towers, and add one of each (amp first) as soon as possible. Upgrade your machine guns only 1 or 2 times to start but focus on the amp towers. Also have a couple of AA towers to pick up the air, that are in range of the amps.

One more thing is to usually build your defense close to the mine itself, that way you don't have to build useless towers in multiple places.

If done right, that strategy will get you through every level easily.

hey at least do a video for xipe duergar, that level is rough. and the guy who has a video on youtube is crappy quality and he gets his butt kicked.

Look at my last post, and basically build a battery of machine gun turrets to the right of that guard post right before the mine, then put an amp tower there to boost them (if they're available), and have a couple AA's up for air. Easy.

Chuck the closest I've gotten is by blocking the east entrance to the base and forcing all the mobs to come around to the west and force them south. Have a large installment of fully upped lasers with repair towers.

Since its too early for advanced weapons I think lasers are the only way to clear this, Im only 2 waves away from perfect.

There's no amp tower on that level, it's the last level of the first planet.

My bad, but still, stick to machine guns and repair towers. You can build a couple repair towers behind your machine guns and have them cut down the enemies before they destroy your turrets, just block them off with machine guns put 2 repair towers to keep them going, and then throw up 3-4 AA's and you should be good to go. I got through this after a time or two easily after just starting right before, just keep trying. ;)

Fact of the matter - was gonna get to that in the strat section - a machine gun can damage 1 guy. A mortar can damage MANY guys. Nothing deals with swarms better (even fast moving ones) than a couple level 5 mortars, machineguns and aa for support, and 2 upgraded repair towers. (if available) - the first moon has nothing that shoots back so its a cakewalk.

I'll make a vid tomorrow night, I have to sleep now for night shift tonight. I got all of Xipe in a row...not too tough.

Fact of the matter - was gonna get to that in the strat section - a machine gun can damage 1 guy. A mortar can damage MANY guys.

Yes, but they're imprecise (shells may not land close to the enemies), slow to reload, and researching and upgrading those only wastes time/cash.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about, I just got done perfect clearing a level on Zeus, and I thought, hey maybe I'll try some mortars... kept failing. Went back to machine gun only, and everything was obliterated.

But hey, if it works for you, cool beans... this is just what's been perfect clearing every level for me so far and I've only got 2 left... so...

Yes, but they're imprecise (shells may not land close to the enemies), slow to reload, and researching and upgrading those only wastes time/cash.

Believe me, I know what I'm talking about, I just got done perfect clearing a level on Zeus, and I thought, hey maybe I'll try some mortars... kept failing. Went back to machine gun only, and everything was obliterated.

But hey, if it works for you, cool beans... this is just what's been perfect clearing every level for me so far and I've only got 2 left... so...

I totally don't dispute your abilities :) just saying, while one is occasionally inaccurate, many is devastating. having plenty of support towers, amps and repairs when available - you've got yourself a veritable doom machine. When you get bosses that are too tough for even upgraded pods of towers, you want a chaos upgraded to keep them in the zone longer.

Thanks Frollard, the fact of the matter is i'm crap at these types of games, and the only reason i got 100% in pjm is because of you.

lol, the guy at level 13 'is crap at x type of game'....you still got 100% - good job :)

Reaper - when dealing with the last few waves, mortars easily have the power to deal with heavy-armoured enemies, and since they fire slow, the predictive aiming is excellent.

This is a fun game, but the levels are becoming too easy when you start using amp/repair towers. But then become incredibly difficult without them. 3 more levels to go. :)

The fixed length levels are only the beginning - in order to succeed with the vengeance levels (long term) you need to start upping the damage you do. The only way once all your towers are upped is to start trading towers for amps to upgrade.