Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - Episode 2 ~ Road Map, Trophy Guide and Walkthrough

Overview:

Breakdown: Offline trophies: 12 (7 (B) 4 (S) 1 (G))

Online trophies: 0

Difficulty: 3/10

Time to 100%: ~5 Hours. Less if you follow the walkthrough.

Playthroughs needed: 1 (with some creative saving)

Missable Trophies: Everything except "Challenge of the Sphunx," "Looters of the Lost Toybox," "Mystery on the Disorient Express," and "Horror Show" are missable.

Glitched Trophies: There are no specific trophies that are glitched as of yet, but a few glitches with game itself have been found which you can read about in this thread.

Road Map:

Step 1:

Play through the game using the walkthrough I've written here. If you reference this and the trophy guide you'll have everything except Secret Handshake after you finish the game. Make a separate save when instructed.

Step 2:

Reload the save from above to get Secret Handshake, which should be your final trophy.

Trophy Guide:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/01.jpg

Challenge of the Sphunx (S)

Completed Monsieur Papierwaite's challenge.

Story related. Complete reel 1.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/02.jpg

Looters of the Lost Toybox (S)

Successfully raided the Tomb of Sammun-Mak.

Story related. Complete reel 2.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/03.jpg

Mystery on the Disorient Express (S)

Foiled an on board sneak thief.

Story related. Complete reel 3.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/04.jpg

Horror Show (G)

Stop a seriously sinister ceremony.

Story related. Complete reel 4.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/05.jpg

Say Hi to the Nice People, Charlie (B)

Throw your voice to every available target.

The following is a list of objects you can use Charlie with. There is some repetition (for example, I'm not sure if you must use Charlie with Sameth in all four locations) but its better to be safe. Entries with a star are ones with a very small window of opportunity. The others can be done so long as the reel is not complete.

Intro:

-Tomb Idol*

-Kringle*

-Sameth*

-Weird squid statue (make sure you do this last)

Reel 1:

None

Reel 2:

-Sameth

-Grandpa Mole

-Baby Amelia Earhart*

-Sarcophagus

-Papa Mole

-Daughter Mole

-Each of the two guardians

-Squid statue

Reel 3:

-Sameth

-Sarcophagus

-Vampire Slushie* (when he comes out of his room to wait for a child)

-Baby Amelia Earhart

-Steamer Trunk in Mole's Room

-Papa Mole

-Daughter Mole

-Jurgen

-Kringle*

Reel 4:

-Sameth

-Papierwaite

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/06.jpg

Curse the Luck (B)

Get zapped with fewer than six Mole Curses.

You must be hit by 5 curses to complete the game, so there is no room for error. In general, once you've been cursed by a mole, avoid reminding him of it for the rest of the reel. Here is an excerpt of the walkthrough that will guide you through the curse portion of the game:

-Get the love letter from Jurgen's room in reel 3.

-In reel 2, check the travel brochures in the burial chamber and say you're from Stutgart. Don't talk to grandpa mole again.

-Use the jar of cookies on the papa mole to get through the doors.

-Enter the daughter's room and use the Can of Nuts (This will get you the Double-Crossed trophy) Don't talk to the girl again in this reel.

-Use Psychic Ventriloquism on the daughter and have her say she loves Sam and Max. Don't talk to the papa mole again in this reel.

-Complete the rest of reel 2 normally.

-In reel 3, tell papa mole his daughter still has a crush on Sameth and Maximus.

-Complete the events to learn about the biplane, to turn Jurgen into a Vampire and pick up the empty glass outside of Kringle's room.

-Use the love letter on papa mole. When Maximus turns into a cow, use the empty glass on him first thing. (This gets you the Doppel Fluch trophy as well).

-Complete the game without talking to any more moles.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/07.jpg

Nine Lives of Sameth & Maximus (B)

See Sameth and/or Maximus die at nine distinct points in the game.

Reel 2:

-At the beginning of reel 2, don't do anything until the conductor throws you off the train.

-After the protection curse is active, touch the toybox

-Enter the mole girl's room. When confronted with the asp DON'T use the can of nuts.

-Enter the burial chamber before grandpa gets his hands on the baby.

-When given the bad luck curse, try to walk through the two doors in front of the papa and girl mole BEFORE throwing the bust through it.

Reel 3:

-At the beginning, read the hieroglyphics incorrectly

Reel 4:

-Say Papierwaite's chant when prompted

-Choose "Stall for time" when you can. Then wait until Sameth is lowered into the ants. This will take a few minutes.

-The final death occurs when reel 4 ends.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/08.jpg

Chrono Logic (B)

Complete the four reels in sequential order.

The reels are numbered 1 through 4. Complete them in this order. The final event in each reel is as follows. Don't do these until the previous reels are done. Keep in mind that certain intermediate events from later reels are required to finish earlier reels.

Reel 1: Use the Can of Nuts when the Sphunx opens its mouth.

Reel 2: Place the blocks onto the curse board.

Reel 3: Successfully search Jurgen's and Kringle's trunks in each of their rooms.

Reel 4: Must be completed last.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/09.jpg

Doppel Fluch (B)

Cause German train passenger to be saddled with two curses at the same time.

You must turn Jurgen into a vampire and then give him the Sexo Rejecto curse. For details, see Curse the luck.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/10.jpg

Double-Crossed (B)

Cause your little buddy to lose both his luck and his rabbithood at the same time.

You must get Maximus to be inflicted with the bad luck curse and the Holstein Hex at the same time. For details, see Curse the luck.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/11.jpg

Secret Handshake (B)

Fool a Yog Soggoth devotte into thinking you're a member of the Brotherhood.

I don't know of a way to do this and get the Doppel Fluch on the same playthrough. Make a separate save before you send Jurgen to the sarcophagus.

Do the events to get into Kringle's room in Reel 3 before sending Jurgen to the sarcophagus. Find the idol in Jurgen's closet, and then talk to him. Pick the option about Yog Soggoth. Thanks go to EvilMonkeyByte for help with this.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/561/12.jpg

Open Wide (S)

Make it through the Mouth of the Sphunx the first time it opens.

Get cookies from Kringle and place them in the Sphunx nostrils. Don't attempt the challenge again until you get the can of nuts. Talk to the old mole woman to get the translation. Once you have the can of nuts as well, place the cookies in the nostril, read the inscription, and use the can of nuts.

Edited by Lonesheep
Editorial Sweep

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walkthrough

Think of this as a checklist of things to do in order to beat the game. You will miss a few trophies if you try and follow it word for word; most notably, the only ventriloquism targets listed are those with a small window. I repeat, this is just meant to get you through the story. There is a more detailed walkthrough here if you really think you need it.

Intro:

-Use Psychic Ventriloquism on Sameth, Kringle, and the Tomb Idol

-Use Psychic Ventriloquism on the weird squid statue

-Pick text option

Reel 1:

-Click on cookie jar next to Kringle.

-Talk to Kringle. Choose to talk about the challenge of the Sphunx until he goes on stage. When he leaves, check his briefcase.

-Approach Sphunx. Place cookies in his nose. Choose anything in the following text.

-Check Can of Nuts next to Sphunx.

-Pick up Newspaper in the back of the theater and leave through the exit

-Talk to the three elves. Mention the Can of Nuts and suggest a toy idea.

-Go into the nearby house. Talk to mole woman about the comics and about the riddle of the Sphunx. Check the picture of a bat next to her.

Reel 3:

-Pick up the glass in the hallway.

-Check the luggage on the right side and go out the nearby door.

-Use the elf door and speak to the elf until you can ask about a secret project. Ask about it. Tell him you have kid. Use Psychic Ventriloquism on Slushie.

-Enter Amelia's room and check on music box.

-Leave the car where you entered and then exit the door on the opposite end.

-Go into the mole's room and speak with everyone. Use psychic ventriloquism on the trunk and open it.

-Leave the cart and re-enter. You should see Jurgen receive a letter. Leave and re-enter the cart again. Enter Jurgen's room, take the letter, and examine the statue in the closet.

Reel 2:

-Wait in the room for a death. Check the box and sing "Flight of the Valkyries," then use the can of nuts.

-Go toward the toybox for a scene. Touch it for a death.

-Go back down the stairs and towards the right. Follow the path until you meet Jurgen. Pull both snake heads on this path.

-Go to the southern most snake head an go up the nearby stairs. Walk into the room for a death.

-Check the vacation pamphlets. Say you're from Stutgard.

-Go back to the room with the toybox and take the stairs on the left side of the room. Walk through one of the two doors for a death. Use cookies on the mole to get through.

-Go into the daughter's room. Walk towards the snake for a death. Use the can of nuts to progress.

-Use the psychic ventriloquism on the daughter. Make her confess her love.

-Go back to grandpa. Use psychic ventriloquism on the sarcophagus. Get the blocks.

Reel 3:

-Tell the papa mole that his daughter still has a crush on Sameth. (Make a separate save here to go back to for Secret Handshake.)

-Go back to the elves and ask for Slushie and tell him you have a kid. Quickly knock on Amelia's door.

-Go back and enter, then leave the Moles' room. When the daughter says she's leaving the room, use the can of nuts.

-Use psychic ventriloquism on the mole. Choose the vampire reverse curse, and then "in the sarcophagus."

-Go to the elf door and ask for Slushie. Tell him Kringle wants to see him.

Reel 1:

-Tell the elves about the biplane.

-Return to the Sphunx. Put cookies in the nostrils, read the proper incantation, and use the can of nuts.

Reel 1 Complete

Reel 2:

-Take the bust from the top level. Speak to the guardians until they give you a riddle. Choose "Cut the cucumber lengthwise."

-Use the Bust on one of the two doorways of life and death.

-Place one half of each bust in the nooks on the top level.

-Press the switch in the center of the top level. Slide over to the panel and use the blocks on it.

Reel 2 Complete

Reel 3:

-Go to Jurgen's room and search the chest.

-Go to the mole's room and give the love letter to the father. Quickly use the empty glass on the cow.

-Return to the blue car. Place cookies and milk on the room service tray. Knock and choose room service. Then use the can of nuts. Use Charlie on Kringle, and then check the chest.

Reel 3 Complete

Reel 4:

-Choose the upper left response to each question.

-Chose the left response for a death.

-Choose stall for time. Wait a few minutes for a death.

-Choose stall for time. Use the newspaper on the torch.

-Use the burning newspaper on the moon anchor.

-Use cookies on the nostrils.

-Select Maximus and choose to trick Papierwaite

-Use psychic ventriloquism on Papierwaite.

Reel 4 Complete

Edited by Lonesheep

Nine Lives of Sameth & Maximus (B)

See Sameth and/or Maximus die at nine distinct points in the game.

Reel 2:

-At the beginning of reel 2, don't do anything until the conductor throws you off the train.

-After the protection curse is active, touch the toybox

-Enter the mole girl's room. When confronted with the asp DON'T use the can of nuts.

-Enter the burial chamber before grandpa gets his hands on the baby.

-When given the bad luck curse, try to walk through the two doors in front of the papa and girl mole.

Reel 3:

-At the beginning, read the hieroglyphics incorrectly

Reel 4:

-In Papierwaite's interview at the beginning, answer a question incorrectly

-Say Papierwaite's chant when prompted

-Choose "Stall for time" when you can. Then wait until Sameth is lowered into the ants. This will take a few minutes.

-The final death occurs when reel 4 ends.

I realize there are 10 options up there. I'm guessing that the first entry on reel 4 doesn't belong, even though if you do it Sam and Max comment that their granddads are "dying up there," and something clever like that is certainly Telltale's style. I'll remove it if someone confirms it is not necessary.

Well, at this point I've done all but the final death, but still no trophy. Therefore I would have to assume that answering the question incorrectly doesn't count. Either that, or I missed one, but I'm sure I've seen everything else. Let me finish reel 4 and see if I get a trophy.

EDIT: Yep, there goes the trophy after ending.

Secret Handshake (B)

Fool a Yog Soggoth devotte into thinking you're a member of the Brotherhood.

I don't know of a way to do this and get the Doppel Fluch and Curse the Luck on the same playthrough. Make a separate save before you send Jurgen to the sarcophagus.

Do the events to get into Kringle's room in Reel 3 before sending Jurgen to the sarcophagus. Find the idol in Jurgen's closet, and then talk to him. Pick the option about Yog Soggoth.

Thanks go to EvilMonkeyByte for help with this.

I managed to get Secret Handshake and Curse the Luck on the same playthrough no problem. It was easy. You can't do Secret Handshake and Doppel Fluch at the same time, though, because you need to have Max turned into the cow to get into Kringle's room, which also puts one of the curses on Jurgen.

But to get Secret Handshake and Curse the Luck in one run, that's simple. Just proceed as normal, but don't send Jurgen to the sarcophagus until the end. Make sure you see Nefertiti giving Jurgen the note, then go into his room while he's away in the mole's room and get the note and look at the idol in his closet. From there, give the note to Nefertiti's dad so Max get turned into a cow (curse #1) and milk him. Go to Kringle's room from there and check his trunk to see the note. Then go back to the car with Jurgen and the moles. You will probably see Jurgen to back into the mole's room again, so enter the mole room to make him go back to his own. Then knock on his door, talk to him, and pick the Yog Soggoth option. Bam, trophy.

You play reel 2 as normal (getting cursed 3 times, bringing the total # of courses on you to 4), and then go back to reel 3 and tell Nefertiti's dad she has a crush on you to get the Sexo Rejecto Hex again (curse 5). Then just complete reel 3 as you normally would. Complete reel 1 if you didn't yet, and when you have only reel 4 left, bam, Curse the Luck trophy.

So, to recap, you can get Curse the Luck and Secret Handshake in one run, but you will miss Doppel Fluch if you get Secret Handshake.

-Go back to the room with the toybox and take the stairs on the left side of the room. Walk through one of the two doors for a death. Use cookies on the mole to get through.
Yeah, using the cookies works, but how you're really meant to go through is like this:

If you aren't cursed with the bad luck curse, you can just walk on through unharmed.

If you are cursed, throw the Sammun Mak bust through the door. This slices the bust in half and also breaks the trap, allowing you to get through the door unharmed even if you are still cursed.

Edited by mjc0961

So, to recap, you can get Curse the Luck and Secret Handshake in one run, but you will miss Doppel Fluch if you get Secret Handshake.

Yeah, I figured. I meant that you couldn't get all 3 in the same run without reloading. I wrote the guide assuming Secret Handshake was the outlier just for consistency.

Otherwise thanks for the help. I figured the cookies thing was a glitch, now I know how its supposed to be done.

how do you get the can of nuts in reel 1 the second time? I've talked to everyone and can't figure out the game thing that the elves want to trade for. Can you tell how to do this with detailed. Thanks
You'll have to swap between reels for a while to be able to complete them all. You'll find out what toy to tell the elves in reel 3.

For the Say Hi to the Nice People, Charlie, there are sometimes multiple options for ventriloquist quotes by one character. Do you have to use every option? I used the list above and still missed the trophy. Luckily I have a save file.

I got the trophy without using every option, so I don't think that's it. It's possible that I missed something, but I went back through the game earlier today and didn't see anything else. Make sure you got everything on your end; the tomb idol in the intro and Vampire Slushie are really easy to miss and can kill a run. Another thing you may consider trying is to use Charlie with Jurgen before and after he has turned into a vampire; I can't recall if I did that or not when I got the trophy.

Thanks Lonesheep for the walkthrough, it helped me for my trophy collection second run! However, I have two suggestions.

Reel 3:

-Pick up the glass in the hallway.

-Check the luggage on the right side and go out the nearby door.

-Use the elf door and speak to the elf until you can ask about a secret project. Ask about it. Tell him you have kid. Use Psychic Ventriloquism on Slushie.

-Enter Amelia's room and check on music box.

-Leave the car where you entered and then exit the door on the opposite end.

-Go into the mole's room and speak with everyone. Use psychic ventriloquism on the trunk and open it.

-Leave the cart and re-enter. You should see Jurgen receive a letter. Leave and re-enter the cart again. Enter Jurgen's room, take the letter, and examine the statue in the closet.

This is somewhat obvious, but you should state that after opening the trunk, you should check at the parchment. Without it, you won't know about the vampire-reverse curse when you'll be using Charlie to have the girl talk to Jurgen.

Reel 3:

-Tell the papa mole that his daughter still has a crush on Sameth.

-Leave the room. When the daughter says she's leaving the room, use the can of nuts.

-Use psychic ventriloquism on the mole. Choose the vampire reverse curse, and then "in the sarcophagus."

-Go back to the elves and ask for Slushie and tell him you have a kid. Quickly knock on Amelia's door.

Written like this, this won't work. If you do the sequence crush-ventriloquism Jurgen-Slushie, the opposite sex repealing curse will be gone when you'll enter the elves cab, making it impossible to throw Amelia on Slushie. The correct order should be:

-Tell the papa mole that his daughter still has a crush on Sameth.

-Go back to the moles room.

-Leave the room. When the daughter says she's leaving the room, use the can of nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks allot for the guide really helped me out and was straight foward, only one thing that got me was when you first goto reel 3 I did not get the death there cause I did not see it in the guide but I caught it on the main trophy guide before I got to far. Thanks for the help on PSN as well.

Also does anyone else feel this resemblence...

ok in the first EP we had Skunkape and his ship had a tounge to get to the door.

Well in this EP we have the Sphunx which also had the tounge and looked like the space ship in EP 1, plus when you fail to open the Sphunx he shoots the green gas from his "tail?" just as a skunk would as in Skunkape...?

LOL I was just thinking that when I was playing =P

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the Walkthrough and the only trophy I got is Double-Crossed (B)

I wasn't able to finish 4. The first question threw me off and I choose upper left. I tried the other 3 questions and didn't work.

Can anyone please make a Video Walkthrough?

It seems like there's something wrong with this walkthrough, I followed everything... some of it doesn't make sense like Knock the door and run. You cant leave without entering first. It confused me and I only received one trophy..

Also does anyone else feel this resemblence...

ok in the first EP we had Skunkape and his ship had a tounge to get to the door.

Well in this EP we have the Sphunx which also had the tounge and looked like the space ship in EP 1, plus when you fail to open the Sphunx he shoots the green gas from his "tail?" just as a skunk would as in Skunkape...?

LOL I was just thinking that when I was playing =P

yeah I saw the tongue jokes in both episodes...

personally I think "walking into a giant head" is quite a standard gag amongst humorous adventure games.

if you have played the secret of monkey island, then you may remember this giant head scene:

[spoiler=test]you need to enter the giant monkey head to find LeChuck's ship, and the key happens to be a giant cotton bud, that you insert into its ear to make the mouth open

I've followed the guide to a T, and I still can't get two of the trophies:

* Get hit by less than 6 curses

* Use ventriloquism on everything/everyone possible

I played the game once just to enjoy it (took AGES!), then I followed the guide; grrr, I have to play a third time *sigh*.

the curse thing is quite tricky, just make sure you're careful about getting cursed, and use different savefiles. I think the end of reel 3 was an area that's easy to mess up, because the curse can expire before you get a chance to make proper use of it ;)

and here's a walkthrough I found on gamefaqs, in the trophies section it has a detailed list of ventriloquism targets:

GameFAQs: Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episode 2: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak (PS3) FAQ/Walkthrough by Jeppo99

the curse thing is quite tricky, just make sure you're careful about getting cursed, and use different savefiles. I think the end of reel 3 was an area that's easy to mess up, because the curse can expire before you get a chance to make proper use of it ;)

and here's a walkthrough I found on gamefaqs, in the trophies section it has a detailed list of ventriloquism targets:

GameFAQs: Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse Episode 2: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak (PS3) FAQ/Walkthrough by Jeppo99

Thanks for the link - I should use GameFAQs for often!

Urgh I missed the death in the beginning of reel 3. Why is it not in the walkthrough?????

Plus the Reel 4 walkthtrough is impossible to understand. Anyone have a more accurate one?

Edited by Mojo

i followed this guide in the past and ended up with only one trophy so can anyone tell me if its possible to follow this guide [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KLn4X6vRbE&feature=PlayList&p=830C8F99F093907E&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1]YouTube - Sam and Max Episode 302: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak Part 1[/ame]

to get all the trophies? :confused:

Edit:

with the youtude walkthrough I was able to go father.

the only trophies missing is

Say Hi to the Nice People, Charlie (B)

Nice Lives of Sameth & Maximus (B)

Chrono Logic (B)

Secret Handshake (B)

How can I get these trophies?

Edited by Bambi

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help! The walkthrough you did was very frustrating, it misses a few things out that are important! This has already been mentioned in previous posts. If you redone the walkthrough a little more it would cut a few hours of peoples playthroughs!

The walkthroughs on episode 1,3 and 4 are amazing and thats what you need to do really. All being said I did get all trophies but one using this and that was one for doing that gate thing the 1st time. serves me right for not even looking at the trophy list and diving staight in but a warning in the walkthrough would of been nice.

Thanks again for the walkthrough and guide!