Can you use monsters for fighting?

I thought the whole point of bringing monsters with you is so they can fight, unless I've missed something? I'm using the cow, a goblin with a knife and this weird looking guy with a bow. However, they just follow me around with a little green clover above their heads??? How do I make them fight?

I got no idea how to make them fight since I've never used them for that.

They got two areas of use, and I really don't know how to make them do anything in either, but I got an idea about how, just not tested it yet.

The other area of use is to make them help you with your crops etc on the 4 islands you "obtain" while progressing through the story. You gotta "heal" these islands and place animals to work on them for you. You gotta plant the stuff you want to grow at them though. One of the islands you can grow metals etc.

I believe you may need to give them monster cookies for them to do something for you. You can purchase them in the store across where you live for like 20 G.

For money to purchase monster cookies and get the crafting trophy:

1. Buy yarn balls from the General Store across the street from where you live.
  2. Craft them into Handknit Scarves.
  3. Sell them at one of the store with profit.
  4. Repeat to your heart desire.

You need to craft 1500 times, so you may as well purchase the items needed for this and sell them with profit. You may need to recover RP after a little while. This is done by either killing off yourself by just using some attacks (you will wake up at 10AM, the store is then open, you also run the risk of getting cold and working down on getting cold 100 times for one of the trophies), or purchase some items at the store and make some cheap/good RP recover food, you can also use fish you've fished (since you need to fish 200 times). The general store is not open on Holidays and festivals, but there is a market near the church that opens up at 12AM where you can at least sell the stuff in your inventory.

EDIT:

Now that I have used the monsters for both, I know how to use them. You need to purchase a lot of cookies, then they will work for you, and they spend your monster cookies in the background. You can see how many you got left in the monster menu. They level up like you do, and you collect the xp from their kills and they from yours. They even get your permanent status upgrades.

Edited by MMDE