Fishing guide

You need to catch 2000 fish for one of the trophies.

There are several things that can make it easier and faster for you to catch fish:

• Raining, catch fish faster.
  • Better fishing pole, easier and possibly faster. Obtain a better pole by forging.
  • Fish Hat, makes it a lot easier to fish. Obtained the first day in Fall under the Masquerade festival. Talk to Electra, whom will ask you to deliver candy to the kids, talk to her afterwards for a reward. I at least got the Fish Hat for doing so.
  • School of fish, while walking around in the ocean on your Golem there are certain places where there's a lot more fish.
  • Fishing level, the more you fish the easier it gets, I also think it allows you to catch some rather rare fish as well.
  • Possibly time of day (especially early in the morning) and season.

How to fish quickly:

1. Equip upgraded fishing pole and Fish Hat near water when it's raining.
  2. Hold down :r1:.
  3. Press :square: to fish.
  4. Whenever the controller starts shaking (a fish on the hook) quickly press :square:. If the shaking happens immediately after using the fishing pole it might mean you are getting low on RP.
  5. When you hear the sound of the fish being put into your backpack press :square: again. (You may want to turn down the music and up the SFX).
  6. Continue from point 4.

The above tells you how to fish quickly without even watching the screen, meaning you could be reading or doing something entirely different once the above has become automatic for your brain to do.

There is a fishing contest the 19th day of Spring, where you can win prizes for your fishing, so it doesn't feel as boring or pointless. There is also a lot of food you can cook using the fish you fish. It can also be sold for money.

Edited by MMDE

Fishing is my favourite side mission in Rune Factory. I don't understand all that "boring" talk. I love fishing in Breath of Fire III, Nier and Zelda.

I wasn't really calling it boring, or discussing that matter, but rather referring to everyone who think it's boring. It is kind of boring that you have to do it 2000 times. It's not like a great game you'd usually want to spend 10 hours at, at least I wouldn't.

Anyways, the Fish Hat makes it so much easier, even with bad poles it almost makes it impossible not to catch certain fish. So really, you are just standing there pressing :square: a couple of times followed by :r1:. Doesn't sound very fun if you ask me, sounds like a waste of almost 10 hours.

Edited by MMDE

I wasn't really calling it boring, or discussing that matter, but rather referring to everyone who think it's boring. It is kind of boring that you have to do it 2000 times. It's not like a great game you'd usually want to spend 10 hours at, at least I wouldn't.

Anyways, the Fish Hat makes it so much easier, even with bad poles it almost makes it impossible not to catch certain fish. So really, you are just standing there pressing :square: a couple of times followed by :r1:. Doesn't sound very found if you ask me, sounds like a waste of almost 10 hours.

I am used to spending time with more tedious things in RPGs like collecting 99 Vagriskclaws without using W-Item or re-entering the Henne Mines for Zodiac Spears. Fishing is something I really like.

And my post was not directly a reply to you alone. That is why I said "all that "boring" talk".

Edited by Cetra

• 2 months later...

My favorite fishing spot so far is the school of snapper that, if you look at the map in the trophy thread, is in E4. They bite very frequently and even the common ones sell for a good bit.

I enjoy fishing in this game, good mindless fun. I'm up to around 1,200 or so fish I think.

Edited by Paka