Want this game but need advice

leenazz666

Hi Guy's,

So I've been thinking about buying this game for a couple of weeks and am basiclly after a bit of advice. I've always wanted to learn guitar but it's so fucking expensive I've never really bothered, so I saw this and thought yeah man this is it!!! My chance to be a living room rock star!!

My entire experiance with a guitars consists of me holding one, listening to copiuos amounts of Metal and that's about it. Can this game actually teach you properly? I can't read music either so I guess that could stuff me too?!?

Is it worth the money for a complete an utter guitar noob? I understand that these things take a lot of time and patience but I reeeeaally wanna learn to play so I'm thinking this could be a good springboard.

Thanks Guys

Hi! I bought this the day of release and I am really impressed so far. It's really good fun to play and I have learned a few songs I had never tried to play before. I am sure you will be able to learn with this, but don't expect it to be any easier than learning the traditional way. The only thing that the game might make easier for you is to give you additional motivation to keep going, in the sense of high scores and trophies to achieve.

The game starts out each song on a very low difficulty, with only a few notes. Each song is divided into different segments and by completing a segment without any or with only a few errors, the next segment will become more difficult. The game is quite good at balancing this and will keep difficult bits, like a solo for example at a low level until you have mastered most sections. A mastered section will then represent the closest you will get to the actual notes played in the song. Sometimes this appears to be missing notes, but I am thinking that's down to the song actually containing two guitars, of which you'll only be playing one.

I've been playing the guitar for about 10 years, so it took a while until things started getting challanging for me, but I still appreciate that as the interface takes a little getting used to.

Another great, but really tough thing are the guitarcade games. I think if you play those a lot, you will improve the most.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm not sure if this makes such a great learning tool. This has very steep learning curve with no real free time mode to practice the songs slowly and memorizer them. The game's forgiving where it shouldn't (strumming way off chords) and unforgiving where it should be more forgiving (bends, especially in solos). Also the notation mode is not standard by any means and doesn't really help reading tab or standard notation.

• 3 weeks later...

It can help with your current skills. I'm a bass player and mediocre at best. Theres is lots of technique challenges though, that have been improving my playing.

For starters, playing this game forces me to look at the screen and not my bass. Forcing me to learn the fretboard.

This game won't teach you music but I have found its been very helpful in improving your skills.

• 2 weeks later...

I think having some previous experience helps with the learning curve here, because just getting used to color-coded strings and the way chords subsequently look has been the hard part for me.

However, as previous posters said, the songs start out at an easy level and grow with you, which is nice. I think that the minigames are probably the best as far as improving skills. They also might make practicing these techniques more fun than just doing them on your own. I like the zombie-chord game best, myself...

• 2 weeks later...