HDMI sound problem

JSD1985

Hello everyone,

I bought Rocksmith this weekend and I love this game!

My PlayStation 3 was connected with my home cinema set by using a HDMI cable. My home cinema set was connected with my television by using a HDMI cable:

Playstation 3 --> HDMI Cable --> Home Cinema Set --> HDMI Cable --> TV.

However, I noticed some delay so I tried to follow the advice from the booklet that came with the game. I connected my PlayStation to my tv by using a HDMI cable, and I connected my PlayStation to my home cinema set by using the audio adapter cable. The current situation is like this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/9512/setupbx.jpg

The problem right now is that I can't get any sound out of my TV coming from my PlayStation. When I try to setup the sound I get the following message "this hdmi device cannot be used for audio output".

Is this because I'm using the audio-adapter cable? Sometimes I play at night and when I use my PlayStation at night I use a wireless Sennheiser headphone. It always worked in the first configuration but now it don't.

Does anyone else uses this setup? And how do you get sound out of your TV?

Besides that, everything works fine, I get sound out of my home cinema set, but not from my tv.

I hope someone can help me!

Thanks!

p.s. Before I got my Home Cinema set, my PlayStation was connected directly to my tv by using a HDMI cable, and that also worked fine

I have this set up: PS3 --> HDMI --> TV (no home cinema:(). And I also have some sound lag when playing Rocksmith so today I´ve tried same setup as on picture above. I´ve connected PS3 into my old stereo with AV cable (composite cable). And sound is good now, no more lag.

Your problem is probably in PS3 audio output settings, try this:

Settings / Sound settings / Audio Output settings / Audio Multi-Output and set it ON. ON means that sound will go through AV cable from your home cinema (primary sound output) and also through HDMI cable from your TV. When playing Rocksmith, you should set it on OFF or mute your TV.

But I´m not sure if this solves your headphones problem. Your headphones are connected with TV, PS3 or home cinema? If you have them connected with TV, you will still have sound lag. You must connect them with PS3 or home cinema.

Hope this helps.

I bought my game on Monday and I love it too. I was surprised that there is Bass Expansion DLC on disk. Very nice. Now I have only one wish - they should add possibility to switch off the tuner - it´s really annoying...

Edited by voleman79

I tried to turn on the Audio Multi Output but that didn't help either. My headphones are connected to my TV.

Do you really have no lag at all? I still have some lag with the setup given in my first post. But it's less lag then using a HDMI cable.

I will disconnect the audio adapter cable and see if I can get some sound of my tv then. If you have other suggestions, I'll be happy to hear them!

With your current set up - when you change in PS3 Settings / Sound settings / Audio Output settings from AV cable to HDMI, do you hear sound from TV? If not, there is maybe some problem with your HDMI cable. Try use other cable if you have. Or maybe there is some wrong settings on your TV :think:

Maybe there is still some little lag but it sounds good enough to me. I tested new set up on Blur - Song 2. This song was unplayable with HDMI, now it sounds good.

This problem is solved!

Yesterday evening I tried everything. I unplugged the audio-adapter and connected the playstation only to the tv with a HDMI cable, still the same error. I tried a different, pretty expensive HDMI cable, still the same problem, I did a reset to the factory settings, still the same problem (and I had to reconfigure everything), I tried different HDMI ports, still the same problem.

The solution is to turn off the PS3 and the TV. First turn on the PS3 and wait a few seconds till it's fully booted. Then turn on the TV. Voila, the sound worked!

Such a stupid problem. It did cost me 2 hours or so!

Anyway, it's solved and now i'm using the "Best" setup. So it's time to rock this weekend! Thanks for all the help!