Anyone else looking forward to Rocksmith 2? (also, complaints/suggestions here)

zer0surge

The premise of Rocksmith is brilliant.

The execution was weak.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, but there are a few glaring problems that make it just a game, and not a great educational tool, which is what it should've been.

So here's a list of my main complaints with Rocksmith 1 (besides the two trophies needed for platinum, you know what I mean), mixed with suggestions for Rocksmith 2.

1. No background auto-save! Every single time you do something it saves, and you have to wait. What year is this?

2. Tuning your guitar way too often. For all that saving they do, can't it use a counter? So for every fifth song you play, then you should tune. Or...

3. Being able to tune right from the pause menu. Instead of tuning at the beginning of the song, practice session, or game, if you think you're hitting the wrong notes, pause, re-tune, and let it skip back a couple of measures.

4. Let me set my own tempo for the practice sessions. Either as a percentage or a proper beats-per-minute.

5. Let us hear the song in it's entirety and see the notes being played before we play it for real. I think they're contributing to illegal mp3 downloads otherwise. It's so hard to play a song you've never heard before. (songsterr.com is good for this, too). They could separate it into "Listen", "Practice" and "Perform."

6. In addition or replacement of #5, provide us with copies of the songs. iTunes, DRM, or DRM-free MP3. Then we can put them on our portable devices and decide what song we want to learn next before we get home.

7. Less strictness on bends. I find myself sliding up a couple of notes instead just to avoid having to stop during the practices.

8. For that matter, let me just skip that note by strumming my strings really violently before I throw my guitar into the crowd, thereby breaking my television.

9. Let the community decide! Put up a poll of a bunch of songs, let us listen to them, and tell YOU, the developer, what we want to buy. It'd save you tons of work transcribing songs that no one buys. Do this once a week and have a rotating mix of the rejected songs, so that eventually even if one song loses, it'll be up against much less-received songs.

10. Let me be my own accompaniment. Let me record something, a riff or some such, and then play it while I play my guitar overtop with a different pedal.

And don't give me that garbage about Xbox 360 not being able to do it because they released a SKU without a hard drive. That's their fault. Make the feature PS3/PC exclusive.

11. A chord database. Sure you can buy a book of chords or play that chord game, but what if I just want to browse a bunch of chords. It doesn't even have to be comprehensive, just list the chords in the songs that are offered.

12. Building on #12, let me pick a group of chords and then play them sequentially in a practice mode.

13. Backwards compatibility with Rocksmith 1 DLC. (Vital!)

Anyone else have any ideas and/or complaints?

Or even comments about my ideas?

Just remembered something.

14. Rather than building up to the proper notes in the practice modes, let us start from there.

Edited by Johnny Bananas
merge; please use the edit button instead of double posting

11. A chord database. Sure you can buy a book of chords or play that chord game, but what if I just want to browse a bunch of chords. It doesn't even have to be comprehensive, just list the chords in the songs that are offered.

So does that mean the chord book they have built into the game is less than complete? I haven't really looked it over since my short, stubby fingers still have issues with single-note arrangements.

My biggest issue is as you noted, it doesn't go too deeply into the education. Yes, it seems to be teaching me the muscle movements I need, but it'd be nice if it told me what note I was playing and, at least at higher levels, displayed the sheet music for me to learn from.

1. No background auto-save! Every single time you do something it saves, and you have to wait. What year is this?

2. Tuning your guitar way too often. For all that saving they do, can't it use a counter? So for every fifth song you play, then you should tune. Or...

Particularly agree with these two points. So much fricken waiting involved in this game!

The only other bone I had to pick was trophies, especially the Guitarcade trophies with their ridiculous scores. They don't really help improve your technique either. Would love to have the plat for this title, but alas. Instead they could be allocated to something more useful like mastering a song, mastering 5 songs, mastering 10 songs, etc. That's really what this game is about: learning to play songs!

Apart from these points, great GREAT game! The most rewarding game I've ever played, as I was doing something useful while gaming, rather than simply developing RSI in my thumbs.

The execution was weak.

4. Let me set my own tempo for the practice sessions. Either as a percentage or a proper beats-per-minute.

7. Less strictness on bends. I find myself sliding up a couple of notes instead just to avoid having to stop during the practices.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything quoted -- sold my copy via Amazon today due to my disappointment with the execution.

The bend issue was particularly onerous for me; if I bent the strings any more, I'd be wrapping them around the neck. Maybe it's the gauge of the strings I'm using (I'm ordinarily a bass player, so I use heavier gauge guitar strings to ease the adjustment between the two instruments), but my strings don't bend like they want them to from where they want them to.

Practice Mode was, in general, very poorly executed. This idea to rewind the song until you hit the note correctly was not a good one, particularly with those bends. By the time I hit the bend, I'd forgotten where I was in the song. Also, as long as I've been playing the guitar, I don't have all the chords memorized, so you're either going to have to let me practice at a tempo that I set (in BPM, as suggested), or give me a list of chords in every song and let me practice them separately.

The pacing due to loading/saving/forcing you to sit through tutorials was brutal, and while, as edutainment software, I don't expect it to have the same pace as Robotron, but I'd like it to be quicker than, say, continental drift as well.

No gripes about the track list -- I'm getting old and I hate half of the songs, but they throw some Bowie and some Radiohead in there and such and I'm pacified. The DLC likewise showed promise, but, of course, I won't be buying any of it because I sold my copy. Done with Rocksmith. They will have to do a lot better for me to get a sequel.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

• 7 months later...

Two things that really break this game:

1. Cannot mark songs as "never suggest this or bring it as an encore". Song browser is really slow so I'd like to hide all the junk. I also hate any alternate tuning crap so having to go fetch another guitar to allow quick retuning for a shitty encore song I didn't want to play anyway just sucks. Hint: Fake the drop D with the whammy bar and skip playing the song works but you must still wait through it.

2. Cannot force the game to not play master mode songs in encores. The difference between mastering a song and memorizing one is a huge one and those you mastered easily are usually the sucky two note ones you hate anyway.

One thing to make the game infinitely better as a game and a learning tool would be to include standard tab notation as an option. If you are already a guitarist, it is much faster to read and if you are a beginner, it's more usefull to learn the real thing instead of a game notation.

• 2 months later...

The execution was weak.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good game, but there are a few glaring problems that make it just a game, and not a great educational tool, which is what it should've been.

So here's a list of my main complaints with Rocksmith 1 (besides the two trophies needed for platinum, you know what I mean), mixed with suggestions for Rocksmith 2.

1. No background auto-save! Every single time you do something it saves, and you have to wait. What year is this? Agreed.

If your guitar goes out of tune how is it sposed to recognize if you are hitting the right notes? When playing guitar anyway you have to tune just as much

3. Being able to tune right from the pause menu. Instead of tuning at the beginning of the song, practice session, or game, if you think you're hitting the wrong notes, pause, re-tune, and let it skip back a couple of measures.

I guess that would be a good feature but whats the point when they have already dumbed down all the riffs already?

5. Let us hear the song in it's entirety and see the notes being played before we play it for real. I think they're contributing to illegal mp3 downloads otherwise. It's so hard to play a song you've never heard before. (songsterr.com is good for this, too). They could separate it into "Listen", "Practice" and "Perform."

6. In addition or replacement of #5, provide us with copies of the songs. iTunes, DRM, or DRM-free MP3. Then we can put them on our portable devices and decide what song we want to learn next before we get home.

Bends are so important. Cant tell you how many players out there bend to no where.. And by that i mean they just bend the string, they dont bend half a step or a whole step up to specific notes. Strictness is what will teach the peeps to proper technique

8. For that matter, let me just skip that note by strumming my strings really violently before I throw my guitar into the crowd, thereby breaking my television.

9. Let the community decide! Put up a poll of a bunch of songs, let us listen to them, and tell YOU, the developer, what we want to buy. It'd save you tons of work transcribing songs that no one buys. Do this once a week and have a rotating mix of the rejected songs, so that eventually even if one song loses, it'll be up against much less-received songs.

hells yeah!

10. Let me be my own accompaniment. Let me record something, a riff or some such, and then play it while I play my guitar overtop with a different pedal.

And don't give me that garbage about Xbox 360 not being able to do it because they released a SKU without a hard drive. That's their fault. Make the feature PS3/PC exclusive.

Stunning idea, but if anyone were rlly serous about playing guitar afer this, theyd go out and buy gear. Specifically a loop pedal, theres only so much you can take playing guitar through a tv..

Why not.

12. Building on #12, let me pick a group of chords and then play them sequentially in a practice mode.

Agreed.

13. Backwards compatibility with Rocksmith 1 DLC. (Vital!)

Anyone else have any ideas and/or complaints?

Or even comments about my ideas?

Just remembered something.

14. Rather than building up to the proper notes in the practice modes, let us start from there.

Some ideas were good, but it is still an amazing teaching tool for novice guitar players.. And like I said its still a game if after people are done playing it and they are serious about guitar theyd figure the rest out.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to Rocksmith 2014. Not far from release. I hope for a similar trophy list actually. I didn't see anything wrong with Rocksmith trophies, I actually liked the arcade games, even the baseball game. But that's probably only because I didn't have *too* much trouble with bends. :p