Pro Tip for 'Harmonically Challenged'

Idometrius

A lot of beginning guitarists have trouble hitting harmonics, and maybe you're just trying to knock this trophy out on the way to your platinum. Thought I'd share a tip for those struggling with it.

Played through the minigame yesterday and the game wasn't registering my harmonics very well.

On the second attempt I gave up on harmonics altogether and just played the notes on the 19th fret. Nailed it immediately.

When I played through and got the trophy it only asked for harmonics on the 7th fret, which is the same as playing the note normally on the 19th fret. Easier to play the note than to get the game to recognize a harmonic.

Other than that, it's just Simon Says.

Hope that helps,

Matt

I got the gold medals on both palm mutes and harmonics yesterday. This is what I ended up doing: For the palm mutes, I was having issues with the low E string more so than anything else. What worked for me was to strum the strings very softly and, for whatever the reason, they registered every time. I also tested this on the Ducks guitarcade game and it worked there as well. So, for people having issues with the bottom E string registering incorrectly, maybe try picking the string as gently as possible and see if that works.

I applied this same idea to the harmonics challenge and, while it did help, they were only picking up about 50% of the time. Again, I would strum the string as gently as possible when performing the harmonic and that was definitely more responsive than normal picking. But, like I said, it only seemed to work "when it felt like it." I noticed that the challenge only uses harmonics found on the 5th and 7th frets, so I ended up cheap-shotting it and just using the corresponding notes further down the fret board: The 24th fret for 5th fret harmonics and the 19th fret for 7th fret harmonics. Worked like a charm.

I got the gold medals on both palm mutes and harmonics yesterday. This is what I ended up doing: For the palm mutes, I was having issues with the low E string more so than anything else. What worked for me was to strum the strings very softly and, for whatever the reason, they registered every time. I also tested this on the Ducks guitarcade game and it worked there as well. So, for people having issues with the bottom E string registering incorrectly, maybe try picking the string as gently as possible and see if that works.

I applied this same idea to the harmonics challenge and, while it did help, they were only picking up about 50% of the time. Again, I would strum the string as gently as possible when performing the harmonic and that was definitely more responsive than normal picking. But, like I said, it only seemed to work "when it felt like it." I noticed that the challenge only uses harmonics found on the 5th and 7th frets, so I ended up cheap-shotting it and just using the corresponding notes further down the fret board: The 24th fret for 5th fret harmonics and the 19th fret for 7th fret harmonics. Worked like a charm.

Wow, cool tips, especially with the harmonics. Now I just wish my guitar had 24 frets, lol. :D

Guess I'll just have to practice it like crazy, but that's ok. Finally finding time to play and practice again anyhow.

Later!

Sounds like exactly the same thing I did. I can confirm the above method will help with getting these trophies.

It's strange because I only had issues in the Technique Challenges. While performing harmonics, palm mutes, etc. in a song, they register just fine. I used "Barracuda" to test it and, sure enough, I can pull those off every time (granted I don't mess up, of course.) But then, you go into the Technique Challenges section and they just don't pick up. It's strange and a little frustrating but at least the work-around method works for knocking those gold medals out.

It's strange because I only had issues in the Technique Challenges. While performing harmonics, palm mutes, etc. in a song, they register just fine. I used "Barracuda" to test it and, sure enough, I can pull those off every time (granted I don't mess up, of course.) But then, you go into the Technique Challenges section and they just don't pick up. It's strange and a little frustrating but at least the work-around method works for knocking those gold medals out.
yeah, again, same thing for me. it even works for me in the riff repeater sections. and yeah outside of the plat this is really a non-issue and you can really start enjoying the game after.

ps. i can not wait to learn "barracuda." though i wish they had "crazy on you" so i could learn the intro.

Edited by cjt417

yeah, again, same thing for me. it even works for me in the riff repeater sections. and yeah outside of the plat this is really a non-issue and you can really start enjoying the game after.

ps. i can not wait to learn "barracuda." though i wish they had "crazy on you" so i could learn the intro.

"Barracuda" is not too rough. As with most songs, the solos trip me up here and there but once you get the timing of that main riff down, you've pretty much got it. I believe I've gotten around 88,000 on it if I remember correctly. There are still a few parts that throw me off, namely in the middle of the song.

Yeah, I was psyched when I saw "Barracuda" was available to download. I about messed myself when I saw "Smoke on the Water" and "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" as well. The latter being a royal pain to play. That main riff is pretty tricky-dicky once you get it maxed out.

• 10 months later...