Tips on winning and earning trophies

jedi1josh

Here are a few tips in winning Risk games against the computer and earning some of the trophies.

First of all not all trophies can be forced, for instance the "Ironman" trophy has to happen by chance, just play Risk enough and you'll eventually get this one.

Second for the best chance to win games after you complete the campaign and earn a few trophies while doing it start a game by going to custom game, select Factions, toggle command room over to world conquest, toggle Random over to Manual, choose 5 players, and select Big Ice as your map.

Choosing 5 players helps you earn both the Destroyer trophy as well as the Capitalize this trophy. You'll have to play a few games (selecting the same options as above) to earn the Destroyer trophy, be sure to choose a different faction each time to make sure you kill troops in all the factions.

Choosing Big Ice as your map is going to help you win those games and hopefully those trophies. Big Ice has the Island to the west with three territories and a Altar right in the middle, if you control all three territories you control the Altar. The Altar is the most powerful item you can control in this game.

Put all your effort into capturing the Altar Island (Von's Temple) right away (Fire Altar, Earth Altar, and Water Altar) by placing your men in those territories. Oddly enough for me the computer didn't try to place any of it's men there but if you find yourself unable to take control of all three territories during the placing of you men phase just restart the battle and try again. Once you have all three territories take the surrounding territories and anything else nearby to defend it but be sure to select at least one territory as far away as possible before they're all taken. When you're out of territories to pick be sure to place your capitol on the far away territory you selected. This is because the computer tends to want to take over these territories and you want it as far away from the Island as possible. Defending this Island is top priority. Concentrate placing lots of men on the Altar territories. It may seem like you're putting all your eggs in one basket but this is one powerful basket. Try to have at least 8 men each on those three territories unless you see a nearby enemy territory with more than 8 men, then keep adding more men. Generally the computer won't attack a territory with equal or more men than it has.

Once the game begins you should start off your turn by using the Temple's ability. Try to take control of a territory with lots of men on it. This will be your aggressive troops once they are converted, attack nearby territories with these troops. Never attack with they Altar Island's troops, they are to defend only. If you see a enemy territory near the temple area with lots of men take that one instead to insure the temple stays under your control. Each turn take control of either another territory with lots of men or one nearby the Island if needed. This is a slower process than just attacking but eventually you'll get more and more territories. After you've gain control of a few continents, start to take control of capitols.

Each turn place at least one troop on one of the three island territories to insure it's safety. When given the option to choose a reward check to see if you have either the Attack die or Defense die and choose one of those (If you can choose one of both choose the Defense die). Always turn down the additional troops option by cashing in your stars if you want to earn the Star Command trophy but I recommend doing this later once you've gotten use to how this works. If you get to place a airfield place it somewhere on your island to help defend it.

Keep attacking with the territories you've gain control of and eventually you'll control the whole map thereby winning the game and getting the Capitalize This trophy.

Tips:

Try to keep a high number of men near the borders where you're territory meets an enemy's. Use you're maneuver troops option at the end of a turn to do this or if need be after winning a battle hit the circle button to put troops back on the territory they came from.

Never attack a territory with equal or more men than you, even if it's their last territory.

When attacking a territory and you find yourself losing die roll after die roll be sure to withdraw once you worked you way down to one more man than the enemy. (If you have 7 men attacking 2 men and you keep losing be sure to stop when you have 3 men.)

Always add at least one troop per turn on the Altar Island, add to the territory that is nearest a enemy territory that is a potential threat.

Even after earning the Destroyer trophy choosing 5 factions is still a good idea. Having you're enemies kill each other takes a lot of work off of you.

When choosing a territory to take control of with your temple, don't think that you should go straight for the capitols or the territories with other things (like crypts or the last territory in a continent), just go for the territories with a high number of troops. You'll need them to attack with.

Remember defending your Temple is your top priority among all else, losing a capitol or even a entire continent is better than losing just one territory on the island.

Edited by jedi1josh

it might be good to point out you dont have to maintain the territory to get the Ironman trophy. the territory has to have just one unit on it and five or more of the attacker's units have to be killed before that single unit is lost. i was able to get this by going for the defense die and keeping a bunch of 1 unit territories for the attacker to tear through. i got it after the game attacked me 11 - 1, but 6 units took my territory.

Any tips on the whole "mining" thing? It says for every troop you have on it you mine that minus 1. But what does it do? I've never really seen a benefit for it other than gaining the mine 12 objective.

When you have hold of that specific territory with the mines or geothermal energy, place 3-5 troops on it. You will benefit at the beginning of each turn as long as you have 3+ troops on it.

• 10 months later...

practice, practice, practice and always having a plan A and B. don't ever tell people too much and don't let you're ally (if you might get one) take advantage because it will happen. also look to see for that one person who isn't attacking. because secretly he/she might be your unknown temporary ally. i've helped people i didn't know thinking they would let me be because of my actions. half the time though there are noobs who just bum rush and rage quit and then there is almost always somebody better. even the guy with a smaller army. don't underestimate. the guy who is losing bad might just have got off to a rocky start. i used to win all of the time on pc against the computer AI as well as friends. risk factions with random people is certainly different though worth the buy.

Edited by UndergroundHipHopHead